Waverly honors esteemed coach

soccerfix
Varsity

Waverly honors esteemed coach

Post by soccerfix »

Last night the Waverly Athletic Boosters honored Willie Hobbs for 34 years of coaching, Willie played for the legendary C.D. Hawhee during the early 70's and he has made basketball a science while teaching his players. Wille is special, as an administrator he welcomes every primary student by name, as a coach he is such a positive influence on his athletes, and as a teacher being every student's favorite. He calls himself the Ole Tiger, we call him Friend. Thanks for being such an influence on my entire family, you will never be replaced.

WWH
Riding the Bench

Re: Waverly honors esteemed coach

Post by WWH »

It's really very simple, the man has a halo over his head. And you don't have to look very hard to see it. He has given way more than any one man could possibly recieve back. Willie is the man !!!

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

Willie is a class act. Kudos from an old coach from Athens!

coachperWHS
Riding the Bench

Post by coachperWHS »

Congratulations to Willie from an old coach (not as old as Athens64) from Wellston!

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

People like Willie Hobbs don't come into a school district very often. Willie has been a friend of mine for many years. To call him a "class act" is an understatement. Willie has been in education and coaching for the kids first, himself somewhere far behind. I consider it a privilege to have been "friendly rivals" with him and he will certainly be missed. It has been said "it is more blessed to give than to receive." That being the case, and I know it is, Willie is one of the more blessed individuals I know.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

ttt

PHS75
SEOPS HOF

Post by PHS75 »

Congrats Willie

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

Thanks to a special guy who motivated me (and many others) in the classroom, and on the athletic fields!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I love watching him on the bench! He is a show all himself! Great guy and coach, even if he is a part of that team up north! lol

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

All players that have ever played for him and those who are playing for him now truly love this guy. Thanks coach Hobbs and I wonder howmany "old timers" out there remember the chant that Willie started when he was coaching with Gabby Smith- "We want the Nets"!

Bottom line- Waverly is a better place because he is part of the community!

TheWizKid
Waterboy

Post by TheWizKid »

Coach Hobbs has been my favorite person at Waverly for my whole life. I have known him for practically my whole life and I know he will be greatly missed when he officially retires. We all love him here from Waverly and I know a ton of people love him too from other cities. :122245

Return to “Boys Basketball”