Sectional - Valley vs. Wheelersburg 2/25

4thgoal
SEOPS

Sectional - Valley vs. Wheelersburg 2/25

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg has won both meetings this year by double digits. What will round 3 have in store?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Sectional - Valley vs. Wheelersburg 2/25

Post by Crab's Brother »

Burg did win both meetings by 10+ but the first game in Wheelersburg was tied with 2:15 to go. I hate to say this, but I think this game comes down to how well Dwyer plays for Valley. When he brings his "A" game, Valley is a tough out for anyone. When he doesn't, the Indians are a team that relies way too much on perimeter shooting and Yates' ability to create offense. Valley has done a great job controlling Andy Stegman in the first two meetings, but have let others kill them. In the first game, Blake Yates went to the post in the second half and put up 26 points after only having 4 in the first half. In the second game, Valley didn't post him and as a result scored 10 or so points in an 18 minute or so stretch from the start of the 2nd to early in the fourth quarter. This has the potential to be a laugher or a classic. We shall see Friday.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

i agree 100% Crab's brother. this game definatly has the potential to be a classic.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Are the schools selling pre-sale tickets? I haven't heard anything on the radio or seen anything on the school website.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

the old saying is that it is hard to beat any team three times. those sayings exist for a reason. should be interesting. i agree that dwyer is key but also yates tries too hard to create at times and it limits the possessions for valley if he is not successful. should be fun to watch. lets see if any pirate can make a shot from outside 12 feet in this game. at valley they had one 3 pointer and the rest of the points came from 12 feet and under.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Tough first game for both teams.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

I don't understand how or why Barrick lets guys like Loop and Yates roam freely all night and score as much as they do. I'd think he'd put somebody like Schankweiler in Yates hip pocket and tell him to stay there all night long, regardless of where the ball is on the floor. Stay right in his face WHEREVER he goes for the full 32 minutes. Schankweiler is a decent player and tenacious but only accounts for about 6-7 points a game which always helps out but if he could keep Yates to a reasonably low point night it would make up for the points he usually scores and stall Valley's entire offense in the process. jmo

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The SOCII is 4-1 so far in the tournament, with the only loss being West losing to South Point. It's a shame the conference will have to take another loss in this game.

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

wink wrote:I don't understand how or why Barrick lets guys like Loop and Yates roam freely all night and score as much as they do. I'd think he'd put somebody like Schankweiler in Yates hip pocket and tell him to stay there all night long, regardless of where the ball is on the floor. Stay right in his face WHEREVER he goes for the full 32 minutes. Schankweiler is a decent player and tenacious but only accounts for about 6-7 points a game which always helps out but if he could keep Yates to a reasonably low point night it would make up for the points he usually scores and stall Valley's entire offense in the process. jmo
I don't think I would question to much of what Barrick does as a coach. His record says he knows how to win.

And I'm pretty sure Ward follow Yates around much of the second game. I think I remember the Pirates even throwing a double team at Yates after scores to force someone else to bring the ball up the court. If Schank were to follow Yates around, I'm sure Valley would just send him back to the post and force Burg to make an adjustment.

As for Yates trying too hard to create... If he's not creating the Valley offense struggles big time. Yates is almost a better passer than he is a scorer, and when Valley is playing well it's because Yates is getting the defensive attention and creating easier shots for his teammates. Like Crab said, when Valley relies on perimeter shooting they are in trouble.

I think this will be a very physical game that's decided in the 4th quarter, but a tough game for sure. I'm hoping I don't get called into work Friday night and I'll be able to make this one!

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

it looks like valley doesnt have any offensive plays that they set-up and run. yates drives and shoots or dumps it to dwyer. with all of the talent that valley has... well, it has to be frustrating.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

what is scary is valley has been in both games vs the burg

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

game at burg yates had 4 points first half with shankweiler guarding him. second half he had 23 points with everyone else guarding him. mcbee should man on him from half court in. not quick enough to pick up 3/4 court. yates creativity simply is this if he does not have shot throw it off the backboard and hope dwyer get it. that's the problem with his creating. if pirates don't shoot from outside anything can happen.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

RxBurgFan wrote:game at burg yates had 4 points first half with shankweiler guarding him. second half he had 23 points with everyone else guarding him. mcbee should man on him from half court in. not quick enough to pick up 3/4 court. yates creativity simply is this if he does not have shot throw it off the backboard and hope dwyer get it. that's the problem with his creating. if pirates don't shoot from outside anything can happen.

There is so much wrong with this post that I am not really sure where to start. First off, Shank did hold Yates to 4 points in the first half of the first game. However, he was also guarding him when Yates went to the post and scored 26, not 23 in the second half. Next, as good as the Mcbee kid is, and is going to be, he has no business trying to man up on Yates. That would be a great matchup for the Indians. And the final beef I have with this post is saying that Yates' creating is throwing the ball off the glass and hope Robbie or an other big can come down with it. That is just ridiculous. Blake is one of the best penetrators in the area. I'm sure you are forming this assumption off seeing him play a couple of times and that is just not the right thinking with Yates.

oak_a_holic
Freshman Team

Post by oak_a_holic »

Same thing happened last year against Oak Hill and Burg. Oaks took the first two games by double digits and lost the one that counted most. Hard to beat a team 3 times in one season! Good luck to my buddies from Valley!

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

look at the books and see what the totals were for first game. if it wasn't 4 then it was 6. shank did not touch him in the second half. in game one he got majority of his points with a cleared out lane and taking the dribble to the basket. so crab's brother if you don't know where to begin maybe watch the film. beating valley three times will not be easy. should be a good and interesting game.

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

RxBurgFan wrote:look at the books and see what the totals were for first game. if it wasn't 4 then it was 6. shank did not touch him in the second half. in game one he got majority of his points with a cleared out lane and taking the dribble to the basket. so crab's brother if you don't know where to begin maybe watch the film. beating valley three times will not be easy. should be a good and interesting game.
Which game was that? He had 30 or so in the first game and 14 or 15 in the second game... Which game did he clear out the lane and take the dribble to the basket? I know the first game he had 20+ in the 2nd half... The 2nd game was a struggle for everyone offensively for Valley, especially in the 2nd half.

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

The first two match ups mean nothing.. This game will be different than those its tourny time and its win and advance lose and go home.. Coaches and players will be bringing out there A game and game plan.. Which ever team executes the game plan and are hitting there shots will when this game.. I look for a great game between two teams that could go either way.. Both teams have looked like an elite team and also a so so team thru out the year. Defense is key in this game.. Hoping for a Burg W but it wont be easy.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

Good Luck BURG !!! Bring home the W... Play hard for 4 qtrs !!!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

RxBurgFan wrote:look at the books and see what the totals were for first game. if it wasn't 4 then it was 6. shank did not touch him in the second half. in game one he got majority of his points with a cleared out lane and taking the dribble to the basket. so crab's brother if you don't know where to begin maybe watch the film. beating valley three times will not be easy. should be a good and interesting game.

Buddy you have no clue! Yates got all his points in the first game by posting up and scoring with his back to the basket. He had 26 in the second half. So, Shank held a kid that had been averaging almost 20 ppg to 4 points in the first half and Barrick decided to just change it all up? Yates has had basically no success driving to the basket in the two games against the Burg. He got his in the post.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

I agree on the shame a soc ll team will be out after this game, the league has showed they are all battle tested and hardened by a very competitive league top to bottom. Dont have a dog in this fight and as we have seen all yr. long not much seperates these teams, game will probably come down to who wants it the most. Good Luck to both teams from another soc ll fan have a good clean game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”