Tough Losses?

Maroon Shorts
Riding the Bench

Tough Losses?

Post by Maroon Shorts »

Who are some team's in the Sectional Tournament's that had a short lived tourney run?
Comments?

Peake
SEOP

Re: Tough Losses?

Post by Peake »

Oak Hill last season, Chesapeake in 1992 I believe was 20-0 and #1 in the state and was beaten right out of the gate.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

South Point about 2 or 3 years back was 20-0 and lost to a very good Ironton team in the Sectionals.

Huntington about 5 or 6 years ago had their best season in years, only to be upset by #14 seed Portsmouth West in the Sectional Semi's. West then went on to get absolutely pounded by an Adena team that Huntington had handled twice in the regular season.

Paint Valley in 1993 was at one point was ranked #2 in the state(might have been at tournament time as well) and Unioto beat them in the Sectional Finals.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Hillsboro was 20-0 in 1989 and 1990 and ranked and lost to West Union both years in the Sectionals. Its possible they were 19-1 in 1990???

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

in 1993 Unioto went onto beat Chesapeake who was #1 in the regional finals that same year.

BleedGreen
Freshman Team

Post by BleedGreen »

1999 #1 Green got upset by Peebles in the district finals should have never lost and got beat at the buzzer

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

peake wrote:in 1993 Unioto went onto beat Chesapeake who was #1 in the regional finals that same year.
peake- That was actually 1991 that Unioto beat Chesapeake. We lost in the State Finals that year to Wayne Trace and our only non-close games of the entire tournament were in the Final Four, which makes no sense. I can't even remember who we blew out in the Semi's, but before that, every game was like 1-4 point difference from the Sectionals on.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Ya Peake Danica is right,Peake beat Fredricktown in the regional semis and lost to Belpre in the regional finals in 1993.I was at both of those games,Yes I am old! :lol:I was also at the game in 92 when they lost in the 1st round to Wheelersburg,You are right thought Peake was 20-0 and ranked #1 in D-3!Burg had just moved this kid up from the JV team named Jonathan Eaton,He was pretty good!

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

earp wrote:Ya Peake Danica is right, Peake beat Fredricktown in the regional semis and lost to Belpre in the regional finals in 1993.
I remember taking a bus trip from Chesapeake to the Fredericktown game.

A snowstorm hit on the way back home.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

Reedsville Eastern in 2005 Regionals to Africentric who was later stripped of the State Championship

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

my bad, sometimes my memory gets a little fuzzy. :122246

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

peake wrote:my bad, sometimes my memory gets a little fuzzy. :122246
As a Unioto fan, I'd love for my mind to get fuzzy on which years we were in the Regionals, lol, but we've only been once, so its pretty memorable for us. We were led by current Vinton County coaches Matt Combs and Jeff Miller that season.

Hoppy
Riding the Bench

Post by Hoppy »

Portsmouth Trojans

1980 State Championship game to Ross by one point.

1979 District Final to Ironton stopped our 29 game winning streak and the dream of back to back State Championships. I cried like a baby in the hallway at the Convo. Still walk by the spot yearly on my trip to the Convo!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

2002 Belpre loss to Chesapeake in the district semi-finals. Belpre was the #2 seed and returned most of the team that went to the state-semi finals the year before.

2002 Wheelersburg to Eastern Brown in the Regional Semi-Finals. The Burg was the #1 seed and #1 in the state I believe. Took it on the chin that night.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

09 Fort Frye was 18-2 and lost to Trail (5-15) by 14.They beat them 2 times in the reg season once by 50.Trail lost in sweet 16 to Granville.

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

1974,Chillicothe,District final.Peebles vs Chessy.Last second shot falls off after making about three revolutions around the rim.Shot was taken by Randy Hilterbran of Peebles .Chesapeake wins.by one or two points.Hearts were broken.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

peake wrote:Oak Hill last season, Chesapeake in 1992 I believe was 20-0 and #1 in the state and was beaten right out of the gate.
i know last years oak hill team was beat by wheelersburg but wasn't that peake team also beat by burg?

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

Last years Peebles-Ironton game and the last second shot.BUMMER for Peebles.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

i know this isn't a short lived tourny run but the 2007 Div 3 state semi final game between burg and cincy nch. burg was down by i believe 20 some at half time came back and forced the game to overtime only to lose on a 3 at the buzzer 69-66.

i could be wrong but i believe the burg's three losses are each by three points that year. i know the loss to nch was by three. they also lost to greenfield mcclain on a three at the buzzer by dante jackson but i also believe the loss to waverly was by three also

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

peake wrote:2002 Belpre loss to Chesapeake in the district semi-finals. Belpre was the #2 seed and returned most of the team that went to the state-semi finals the year before.

2002 Wheelersburg to Eastern Brown in the Regional Semi-Finals. The Burg was the #1 seed and #1 in the state I believe. Took it on the chin that night.
i remember that burg game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”