2011-12 Portsmouth Trojans varsity basketball schedule!

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

2011-12 Portsmouth Trojans varsity basketball schedule!

Post by oldtrojan »

According to the OHSAA website!

Date Event
12/6/2011 7:30 PM SOUTH WEBSTER @ PORTSMOUTH
12/9/2011 7:00 PM PORTSMOUTH @ SOUTH POINT
12/10/2011 7:30 PM PORTSMOUTH @ IRONTON
12/13/2011 7:30 PM JACKSON @ PORTSMOUTH
12/16/2011 7:30 PM PORTSMOUTH @ WARREN
12/20/2011 7:30 PM PORTSMOUTH @ CHILLICOTHE
12/23/2011 7:30 PM PORTSMOUTH @ WHEELERSBURG
1/6/2012 7:30 PM GALLIA ACADEMY @ PORTSMOUTH
1/10/2012 7:30 PM WHITEOAK @ PORTSMOUTH
1/13/2012 7:30 PM PORTSMOUTH @ LOGAN
1/14/2012 7:45 PM PIKETON @ PORTSMOUTH
1/17/2012 7:30 PM IRONTON @ PORTSMOUTH
1/20/2012 7:30 PM PORTSMOUTH @ JACKSON
1/27/2012 7:30 PM WARREN @ PORTSMOUTH
2/3/2012 7:30 PM CHILLICOTHE @ PORTSMOUTH
2/7/2012 8:00 PM PEEBLES @ PORTSMOUTH
2/10/2012 7:30 PM LOGAN @ PORTSMOUTH
2/17/2012 7:30 PM PORTSMOUTH @ GALLIA ACADEMY

LetsGoPSU
SE

Re: 2011-12 Portsmouth Trojans varsity basketball schedule!

Post by LetsGoPSU »

I really like the slate they have planned.Dec 16 to the end of the year should be exciting basketball,those three road trips will be quite fun

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Looks like the trojans will be starting the year off 0-1. :lol:

Who is graduating from PHS this year?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Swanker Pine wrote:Looks like the trojans will be starting the year off 0-1. :lol:

Who is graduating from PHS this year?
we started it off 0 -1 this past season to
:mrgreen:

we lose 2 seniors, Tre Underwood,and Andrew Bendolph.

will Webster have Loop and Scott back?

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I do not think Piketon, Peebles, Whiteoak will be blowouts do i think we will win yea but it's a long time away and so much can happen. I think you should tame your cockiness down a little bit we are 0-0 until December...you can do the talking then.

streetballer
Varsity

Post by streetballer »

u better have respect for more than a few teams within 100 miles of ya..even though u dont play em theres a team thats plays 2 of the teams u play that is to the west of ya

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, oldtrojan, for the schedule.......I do see that only 18 games are listed which leads me to believe that there will be 2 more games added to the slate.......I know that Boyd County is a good possibility.

Based on what is coming back for the varsity and what is coming up from the 9th, 8th, and 7th grades, PHS should field strong teams for the next 5 years at least.........I have to say, though, that the "program" is not back yet based on a Final 4 appearance........"programs" win on a consistent basis, and Portsmouth is only 2 years removed from 7 straight losing seasons, and the 2011 team was the first since 2004 to make it out of the sectional.......if we can put together a couple more good years after this 21-5 Final 4 year, then Trojan basketball can once again be called a "program".

We definitely have the coach and the staff to bring us back to the "program" level.......and I will never forget what Coach Collins told the crowd at the pep assembly at the start of the tournament........he said, "We're going to Columbus".......and he backed it up........I like to hear a Trojan coach talk that way.

As far as tournament credibility, we have that back with our Final 4 run........but we haven't proven just yet that we can put together 4-5 straight winning seasons, although I think next year's team should easily approach 14-15 wins in the regular season.........after the 2011-2012 season, we lose about everybody off the varsity........then we will see if we can keep this winning momentum going........the talent will be there in 2012-2013, but it will be a team with virtually little or no varsity experience........could be a Trojan team that will start a freshman and a couple of sophomores.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

IF you are going to pick up a KY team go with Ashland or Lewis or Greenup (or if you really want a handful MASON Co) -- Boyd has been awful for a decade and doesn't return a team that can hang with the trojans (not that the others could but boyd is just weak.) Seeing a game between any of the 3 I mentioned would generate pretty good fan interest as opposed to a yawn with BC. Would love to see the ol GC -PHS rivarly fired back up , but GC's program is in the tank , or at best close to it. MD

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Lewis would have been good to play the past few years but lost 75% of their team , they don't return much.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I was hoping we would play Lewis Co in the near future.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

next year looks to be a great year to catch them, if you are looking to put a knot on their head LOL (unless the transfer game happens) They will be very small , and very inexperienced . MD

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

have to consider who is open on the week we need a game also,,,I like the Ideal of playing Irontonn two games,I missed he game this past year at our place.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

hecK I forgot about Rowan Co. Runner up in state of Ky with several returning players . Might be the only team in the 16th region that can hang with the trojans. You can be in Morehead as quick as some SEOAL road trips. that would be a great matchup.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

next year looks to be a great year to catch them, if you are looking to put a knot on their head LOL (unless the transfer game happens) They will be very small , and very inexperienced . MD
I want them in the next couple years, my freinds boys go there and they got me already with the Bucks losing to KY. REVENGE IM HOPING FOR. LOL!!!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

ManitouDan: I would love to see Ashland back on the Trojans schedule, and have suggested to Coach Collins about this........only Ironton and Chillicothe have been a more frequent opponent than the Tomcats........Portsmouth leads the overall series 46-28, one of the very few teams to lead the series on Ashland.......I believe the last meeting between the two schools was in 2003, when Jeremy Howell of the Tomcats hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer to beat the Trojans 65-64 at PHS.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I would love to see Ashland back as well. I would like to see them on the football schedule as well. I think the last time football played was in 97 or 98, as I recall they had to drop us do to redistricting in KY, as they have to play everyone in their district, and they obviously wanted to drop us instead of Ironton, and Ironton is a bigger rival. Don't know why they left the bball schedule.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Whiteoak will be a blow out. Small division 4 team, can't see why they are traveling to Portsmouth.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

greatone wrote:Whiteoak will be a blow out. Small division 4 team, can't see why they are traveling to Portsmouth.
I guess you really didn't think this one through bud. Why would Whiteoak not schedule and travel to Portsmouth? Its a great schedule for them. Do you realize how much this could help them come tournament time. Its a win/win for Whiteoak. If they lose, so what, the are supposed to lose to a D3 powerhouse. If they win, or play them tight it looks great on their tournament resume. Either way it improves there schedule, level of competition, and is a great game to help them get ready for the tournament. Don't count out Whiteoak, they went to the District Finals last year, and they have some nice players coming back. They lost to D-2 Hillsboro in the final seconds last year because they couldn't make free throws. They led state ranked oak hill the entire game and lost in the final minutes. They beat Machester by 15 who went to the elite 8. They played Peebles tight both times last year. I don't see the logic in this post, in fact it really makes no sense.

...............and that my friends, is the ugly truth!!!!!

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

theuglytruth wrote:
greatone wrote:Whiteoak will be a blow out. Small division 4 team, can't see why they are traveling to Portsmouth.
I guess you really didn't think this one through bud. Why would Whiteoak not schedule and travel to Portsmouth? Its a great schedule for them. Do you realize how much this could help them come tournament time. Its a win/win for Whiteoak. If they lose, so what, the are supposed to lose to a D3 powerhouse. If they win, or play them tight it looks great on their tournament resume. Either way it improves there schedule, level of competition, and is a great game to help them get ready for the tournament. Don't count out Whiteoak, they went to the District Finals last year, and they have some nice players coming back. They lost to D-2 Hillsboro in the final seconds last year because they couldn't make free throws. They led state ranked oak hill the entire game and lost in the final minutes. They beat Machester by 15 who went to the elite 8. They played Peebles tight both times last year. I don't see the logic in this post, in fact it really makes no sense.

Whiteoak will probably get blown out with the loss of Michael and Carraher but I do agree that it was good to pick up a game against a team like Portsmouth. Realistically Whiteoak will probably not have a very good record next season playing teams like Peebles, Ripley, Manchester, and Eastern Brown on a regular basis so I dont think a successful arguement for opposing this decision because of seeding can be made also. Plus who knows....stranger things have happened. A weaker team always has at least a marginal chance of winning the game.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
theuglytruth wrote:

Whiteoak will probably get blown out with the loss of Michael and Carraher but I do agree that it was good to pick up a game against a team like Portsmouth. Realistically Whiteoak will probably not have a very good record next season playing teams like Peebles, Ripley, Manchester, and Eastern Brown on a regular basis so I dont think a successful arguement for opposing this decision because of seeding can be made also. Plus who knows....stranger things have happened. A weaker team always has at least a marginal chance of winning the game.

So you are saying Whiteoak won't be able to compete with teams like Peebles, Ripley, Manchester, or Eastern Brown? I don't see where that logic comes from? True they are losing their leading scorer in Michael, and their 4TH leading scorer in Carraher, but they will be returning their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers and their PG. Peebles is losing a lot more offense than Whiteoak. Whiteoak is losing about 25 ppg, while peebles is losing somewhere around 40 ppg if I had to guess? Justice around 24? Countryman 15, and not sure if they had any other contributing seniors. Manchester is losing their leading contributor. Eastern has everyone back, Ripley is losing a lot, but they had a nice JV team (as did Peebles), but to say Whiteoak won't be able to compete with any of those teams is a very bold statement. I would predict that Beau Justice better be able to score just like his brother, and Arey can transform back to his scoring self that he was in jr. high or Peebles is going to have some trouble putting the ball in the hole next season, especially when you consider about 90% of Daniels points came from people helping off him to guard Justice and Countryman, and not from him making any post moves. If you just look at players coming back, Eastern is the favorite with Lawson, and Payne coming back, and with the possibility of Senior Blake Doss who decided not to play last season. Ripley will have to have young players step up (which normally happens for them) and help Mitchell. Manchester will rely on Combs a lot, but will be very beatable if somebody contains him. I think their are some favorites for next year, but I think the league is wide open. In other words Peebles and Manchester may put together good teams, but aren't anywhere near a clear favorite to be a powerhouse like they were going into last season. Another team to look out for is North Adams, who will be returning experience in King, Carroll, and Mitchell.

That being said there is a logical chance that a game like Portsmouth could play a big part in seeding, even if its the difference between a team getting a 6 or a 7 and having to play 1 game to get out instead of 2.

...............and that my friends, is the ugly truth!!!!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”