Passing Of Dave Young

j_arey
Waterboy

Passing Of Dave Young

Post by j_arey »

I was texted by Nancy, Dave's wife a little bit ago that he has passed away earlier today. Dave was a highly sucessful basketball coach that won over 400 games, numerous league and sectional titles, 3 district championships, and regional championship in 1996. The list of awards he accumulated are lengthy and the players lives he impacted is endless.

Dave was always willing to talk with me, answer any questions I may have had, offer advice, and always provide a good story. As a young coach at a rival school I was humbled by this, extremely thankful, honored, and eternally grateful. He made me feel like an equal and I wasn't even close.

One of the things I most admired about him was that he did things his way. He could not be intimitated or coerced into something he didn't believe in. He was as old school as old school can be.

When I saw him a week and a half ago I told him if he came to one of our tournament games I would carry one of those iconic towels that he always had on the sideline but that it had to be red, not green. He just smiled, I'll have it Dave...... but it has to be red.

Coach Young...... from a rival, and a peer, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. My deepest sympathy goes out to his family, Nathan, Rob, and all others that were motivated, taught, and loved by Coach Young. If a measure of success in this world is a man's reach exceeding his grasp, then Coach Young is as successful as anyone who has ever lived. I hope they need a basketball coach in heaven, after all, they wouldn't be able to stop him anyway.

Rest in peace Coach Young

Josh Arey
Last edited by j_arey on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: Passing Of Dave Young

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Our most honest of prayers and our deepest sympathy goes out to Coach Young's family and his community.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... sad news coming from the West side of Rte 23 ... Coach Young ... outstanding coach, even better person ... I met Coach Young at Chesapeake's Beast of the Southeast hoops tourney 3 years ago - Coach Young actually knew about SEOPreps, the Elite 8 rankings , he had brought old pfloyd an NA T-shirt - it has even more meaning to this old hoops fan now ... my deepest condolences go out to his family, and the many young men he taught/coached over his tenure as head basketball coach/teacher ... my thoughts ... prayers are with you all ...

... pfloyd

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

just heard this very sad news, great coach. condolences to his family!!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Coach Arey, great post!

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of coach Young. He was an excellent coach, and reading of his impact on lives off the court brings even more respect.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

High school basketball and our little neck of the woods have lost a great man and coach!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Very nice post Coach Arey!

Word of this went rampant through our school today around 2:30. I had the pleasure of teaching 12 years with his wife Nancy. She taught in our district for 35 years and our prayers go out to her and all their family.

To be honest I didn't know Dave that well. We only had a handful of conversations, but one thing I do know....the guy could coach basketball. Over 400 wins says all you need to know....but that's not as impressive as his leading North Adams to the Convo something like 14 out of 17 years and a should've been State Championship. How many SE District coaches have won 25 games in a season?

His teams were always ready and playing so hard from horn to horn and how to attack each opponent. I know for a fact at least two highly successful current coaches in the district sought out his thoughts on how "he would do it"

Dave coached baseball at North Adams along with being the varsity basketball coach at Whiteoak and Minford in the early to mid 80's. I've not talked to Nancy in nearly a year....but I don't think it's a coincidence Dave hung on until North Adams finished their season.

RIP Dave

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Thoughts and prayers.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Wow! I am crushed reading this!!!!!!! Dave was one of the top one or two coaches I have ever dealt with. I really enjoyed my many conversations with Coach.

Green and White
Waterboy

Post by Green and White »

Joni Mitchell said it best."Sometimes it seems to go that you don't know what you got till its gone." Thoughts and prayers to the family of an outstanding human being.

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

Very sad day. Coach Arey is right. Dave always took the time to help a young coach. His advice and example have had a tremendous effect on many of us. God bless his family.

streetballer
Varsity

Post by streetballer »

I had the honor of watchin coach young through the years coach and can honestly say he coached the game the way it should be coached with respect and care of his players..enjoyed watchin him through the years..sad to hear of his passing..prayers to his family,former players,north adams high school and all his friends

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

I was one of the lucky ones who called Coach Young a friend. My thoughts and prayers are with the entire young family. Josh very nice post.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

You were a legend to many... A coach to most... A friend to those lucky enough.... I am forever grateful for the time and the messages that you shared with me. I am a better coach, teacher, and man because of the impact Dave Young had on me.

You are now in a much better place than us, Coach...looking down, towel in hand, still providing a great impact on all of us.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

My thoughts and prayers goes out to the Young family. You will be miss Coach Young!

ty.stephens
Freshman Team

Post by ty.stephens »

I had the privilege to teach last year with Dave and was able to learn a lot from him in the classroom along with some great basketball talks. Dave was a great guy and will be missed by many. Prayers for the Young family.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Dave Young was the kind of man that made southeastern Ohio basketball richer and better for everyone. RIP, Coach.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Thoughts and Prayers to the family. Great Coaching Career and one of few that set the standard for a lot of SE District Coaches.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Lou Horvath on the PA at the Convo to open Southeast District action last night, gave a brief rundown of Coach Young's accomplishments in wins/losses ... district record ... Lou and all of the hoops fans observed a moment of silence in respect for Coach Young - his accomplishments on the court, in respect for all of the lives both coaches/players across Southern Ohio that Coach Young touched ...

... very classy act last night Lou ...

- pfloyd

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Viewing

Friday 4:00-8:00 Winchester Church of Christ

Funeral Saturday 1:00 Winchester Church of Christ

Return to “Boys Basketball”