Bad Refs, No Way!

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Bad Refs, No Way!

Post by Blackcobra »

No one is perfect. With that said, there are bad salesmen,bad Doctors,bad police officers, bad farmers etc that just are not good at a job. Anyone experienced some really bad calls this year in basketball. In your opinion of course.

efarns
S

Re: Bad Refs, No Way!

Post by efarns »

With less than a minute to go in a close game, I saw a ref make a phantom illegal screen call to give the home team the ball. I happened to be sitting at an angle where I was looking at the play. It was a good screen and ref started blowing his whistle before the defender even made contact with the screen.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

I feel that there are fewer and fewer refs that are objective in their calls. There are a few good ones around but i feel the majority are either power hungry or off their meds in the southern ohio area. The big thing the past few years has been you cannot restrict the forward progression of the offensive player with the ball. I have yet to see it called. I have seen alot of hop jump stops called which is wrong, it doesnt matter if a player can jump 10 feet into a jumpstop its still a jumpstop. Alot of Technicals the past 2 years.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Seen some very bad refs last 3 years. Waverly vs Hillsboro game last year in my opinion was one of the worst. Wasnt there for either team but if I was the AD I would have had a serious conversation.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

There should be a grading system. Personally I wouldnt want to be bad at my job in front of all those people. I feel it would be hard. Pay extra for the good ones LOL hahah

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

UKPROF wrote:Seen some very bad refs last 3 years. Waverly vs Hillsboro game last year in my opinion was one of the worst. Wasnt there for either team but if I was the AD I would have had a serious conversation.

Only game I can remember where the ref was called out by name in the local newspaper.....thought that was a little much.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

blackcobra wrote:There should be a grading system. Personally I wouldnt want to be bad at my job in front of all those people. I feel it would be hard. Pay extra for the good ones LOL hahah

There is a grading system. They are graded by the coach's of the games they officiated throughout the season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

qualified101 wrote:
blackcobra wrote:There should be a grading system. Personally I wouldnt want to be bad at my job in front of all those people. I feel it would be hard. Pay extra for the good ones LOL hahah

There is a grading system. They are graded by the coach's of the games they officiated throughout the season.
If you feel a ref likes you and your team and maybe, just maybe gives you some in-between calls....you are going to give them a better grade more often than a guy who may have done an outstanding job....but just didn't seem to give you the breaks.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Ironman92 wrote:
qualified101 wrote:

If you feel a ref likes you and your team and maybe, just maybe gives you some in-between calls....you are going to give them a better grade more often than a guy who may have done an outstanding job....but just didn't seem to give you the breaks.
man that is a great point.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

Ironman92 wrote:
qualified101 wrote:

One would hope that Coaches rate the officials on the officials actual performance, not the way they (Coaches) feel. I guess a Coach could feel an official did a good job. Coaches ratings are a key factor in post season assignments. That official that feels good to ya, could be the one that sticks it to ya with poor performance in a later tournament game. Since there are other factors in the rating system to offset feelings, the better(?) officials are suppose to rise to the top.

The thing I see is officials not wanting to do things to improve. Example - there was suppose to be a camp for high school officials at OU last year. Didn't come about because of lack of interest in SE Ohio. Ask a SE Ohio official how many camps or clinics he/she has attended. Don't get me wrong there are bad officials in every District. Just not as many in SE Ohio wanting to get better as in other Districts. imo :(

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

That class or Camp is a great idea but without adding it to some continuing ed requirement i could see the lack of interest. There would have to be some incentive like greater pay for those that attend maybe?

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

You get what you pay for!! :12222

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Let me fill you guys in a little. Reffing is just like any other job in America. The more people you know the better games you are going to get. It's politics. Just watch the Convo games, same refs, same old guys that pull a muscle getting up and down the court. It's not how you do your job, It's who knows you and how well you get along with others. Period!!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Also a lot of refs that are way out of shape at the convo. There must be some of those guys you see 4,5 or 6 times in the convo in the same year. With all the officials in S,E. Ohio you would think there would be a limit of two game each in the convo. I've watched enough basketball all over S.E. Ohio and there would be enough good refs to limit it to two games. I was setting with a friend last night and of course the same officials were calling the games which had already worked multiple times. I said something about one of the because he had already worked at least 3 games and my friend said he knows members of the District Board who I guess picks the refs. So it is who they know not about how good they are.

vikingguy12
Waterboy

Post by vikingguy12 »

worst ref's i seen was at the ironton-chesapeake game. i watched the refs miss two double dribble calls almost back to back on the same kid.kid dribbled down into a double team, stopped and picked up his dribble to look to pass and then took off dribbling again. they were blatant right in the wide open too and not a one called it. there were a few other bad calls in that game too.. i wasnt rooting for either team just there for the tournament games but that was the worst officiating i seen all year.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Most people that criticize officials don't really know the rules or what interpretations the OHSAA tells them to use, this includes many coaches. You see the same guys at the convo because they are the best in our area. I would rather have that than the way they do it in football and bring guys in from other parts of the state and pay them big travel mileage checks.

We are lucky to have some of the good ones we have.

Grace22
Freshman Team

Post by Grace22 »

The Unioto vs Circleville game at Southeastern. Two of the refs in that game were just down right pathetic,the bald dude being the worst. Even saw a ref that was there as a spectator get very upset with those guys.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

How many people are willing to get their license and stand in the fire? I know from experience that it's easy to make the correct calls from the stands, but do you have the guts to get out there and make them? If so, sign up.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Who won the Circleville/Unioto game?

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Had seen it posted in another forum that some felt that the ref job at the Waverly game was very poor last night, anyone there that felt that was the case?

Return to “Boys Basketball”