SEOAL Needs New Members

warrior90
Varsity

SEOAL Needs New Members

Post by warrior90 »

With Chilly leaving in 2013, who should they try to get to make the league competitive?

I think they should go after Athens, Vinton County and Alexander. That would leave Logan (D1), Warren, Jackson, Gallia, Athens, Vinton (D2), and Portsmouth and Alexander (D3). Both D3 teams are tough in almost all sports. Thoughts??

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: SEOAL Needs New Members

Post by Ironman92 »

Alexander?

Athens is the best fit...I guess.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

I think Vinton County would be a decent add for the SEOAL. Portsmouth to Athens is still a crazy drive for a league game. What is the reasoning behind Portsmouth not being able to join the SOC II again?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

we don't want them

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Swanker Pine wrote:we don't want them
Any particular reason?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

who wants to play portsmouth twice a year?

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Swanker Pine wrote:who wants to play portsmouth twice a year?
Chilly loves planting Portsmouth 2 times per year. Hopefully we will continue the renewed rivalry with the Trojans.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

Athens is the obvious target, but I fear that it won't be long until there are rumors of Portsmouth wanting to leave next. I hope Portsmouth is in it for the long term, but I know they would be gone in a heartbeat if the SOC said yes to them. If that does happen then you could probably throw Nelsonville into the mix as well as a possible candidate. Nelsonville would be a good fit for football and probably wrestling, but their division 5 status might hinder them in other sports. It would be a big decision on the part of their administration. Vinton County and maybe even Point Pleasant, WV might also be on a short list.
Last edited by Daniel Larusso on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

You heard it here first; Marietta and Ironton will be coming back to the SEOAL....... 8) And then at some point, Athens. BAM!!!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

warrior90 wrote:With Chilly leaving in 2013, who should they try to get to make the league competitive?

I think they should go after Athens, Vinton County and Alexander. That would leave Logan (D1), Warren, Jackson, Gallia, Athens, Vinton (D2), and Portsmouth and Alexander (D3). Both D3 teams are tough in almost all sports. Thoughts??
Logan is DIV-II in football

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Athens is the obvious chioce but I would like to see at least 2 teams. Nelsonville if it merges with Trimble would then be a great fit. As a Warren fan, I love to play Portsmouth, but that over 2 hour trip is a long way especially on school nights. Would love to have Marietta back, but that is not going to happen. Probably more likely Warren goes with them, rather than them coming back.

noreply66 I was thinking basketball but you are right, all the divsions change with Football. Warren is D3 in football.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

TribeManiac10, SOC teams play ptown in the season and ptown has played them all like this year 4 of the 1st 4 football games are, Valley, West, Burg and Minford. . No really Ptown was to big back in the days and shouldnt have been in the SOC, but now they are the 3rd biggest in the county. They should be in the SOC.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

14U wrote:TribeManiac10, SOC teams play ptown in the season and ptown has played them all like this year 4 of the 1st 4 football games are, Valley, West, Burg and Minford. . No really Ptown was to big back in the days and shouldnt have been in the SOC, but now they are the 3rd biggest in the county. They should be in the SOC.
Sounds like a good fit to me. Might as well pick up Ironton while their at it... :)

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
14U wrote:TribeManiac10, SOC teams play ptown in the season and ptown has played them all like this year 4 of the 1st 4 football games are, Valley, West, Burg and Minford. . No really Ptown was to big back in the days and shouldnt have been in the SOC, but now they are the 3rd biggest in the county. They should be in the SOC.
Sounds like a good fit to me. Might as well pick up Ironton while their at it... :)
14U is spot on with his post. Personally, I would love to see Portsmouth leave the SEOAL for the SOC, even though there's already 8 teams in both divisions of the SOC in basketball & baseball/softball, along with 5 in SOC 2 football and 6 in the SOC 1 (currently it's the other way aroud until Northwest switches from the SOC 2 to the SOC 1 football ony in two years). If they were added, it could be done in multiple ways. They could simply add them to the SOC 2, which would balance the leagues in football with 6 teams each. While it would make 9 teams in the SOC 2 in basketball/baseball, it still leaves 4 non-league games for now, plus isn't the state going to allow 22 games per regular season soon? If so, then it would still leave 6 non-league games plus add a top-tier team to the league. The other way to go about it would be make a third division. You could put the 5 non-football playing schools together (all are D-4 in basketball): South Webster, Eastern, Clay, Western and New Boston. Then, you could have the current (as of the time Northwest's switch is in effect) 6 SOC 1 football playing schools in one division: Northwest, Oak Hill, Notre Dame, Symmes Valley, East and Green. Finally, you could put the 5 remaining SOC 2 schools along with Portsmouth in the big division: Portsmouth, Wheelersburg, Waverly, West, Minford and Valley. I think that would be a league that would overtake the SEOAL in terms of strength, if the SEOAL isn't able to fill the voids they have with a couple of strong programs.

If Portsmouth were to leave too, the SEOAL would really be in a bad way. That would leave Logan, Jackson, Gallia Academy and Warren. It's pretty difficult to have a four team league. It would make for some very creative scheduling...especially in football where almost everybody is locked into league games during the last half of the season. I still think Vinton County would make sense as an addition to the SEOAL in terms of numbers and location. After that, I could see where it would make sense for Athens to come back, but would they really want to? They are experiencing some success in the TVC and it could be hard for them to trade that in to go back. I also like the thought of Nelsonville-York. If the SEOAL could get all three of those teams it would look like this (pretending that Portsouth left as well, embelishing my SOC scenario):

1. Logan
2. Jackson
3. Gallia Academy
4. Warren
5. Athens
6. Vinton County
7. Nelsonville-York

In football, the SEOAL and the SOC could rotate through a few inter-league match-ups for each team a few games per year. Plus, it would give the SEOAL teams 12 league games in basketball. I think the league would still be solid in football and definitely still competitive in basketball. They might not be quite as strong in basketball without the likes of Chilli and Portsmouth, but the new additions would bring enough consistent programs to keep it respectable.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

just think if you did put Ironton and ptown in the SOC, wow!!! What a conference it would been. No cupcake games and would be battle tested for playoffs. Gates would be huge and all money stays home in the county.It would be the little MAC of the south. I guess we all can wake up now, lol

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

i don't think the Northwests and Wests want Itown and Ptown for 4 games

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

warrior90 wrote:Athens is the obvious chioce but I would like to see at least 2 teams. Nelsonville if it merges with Trimble would then be a great fit. As a Warren fan, I love to play Portsmouth, but that over 2 hour trip is a long way especially on school nights. Would love to have Marietta back, but that is not going to happen. Probably more likely Warren goes with them, rather than them coming back.

noreply66 I was thinking basketball but you are right, all the divsions change with Football. Warren is D3 in football.
The bottom number in football for DIV. II is 327 boys and Warren has 356

johnny ringo
Freshman Team

Post by johnny ringo »

If anybody on here actually believes that Vinton County is going to give up their 18 wins a year in basketball or Nelsonville is going to give up their 9 wins a year in footbal, then your crazy! Both schools would be a yearly punching bag in the SEOAL. Not gonna happen.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

noreply66 wrote:
warrior90 wrote:Athens is the obvious chioce but I would like to see at least 2 teams. Nelsonville if it merges with Trimble would then be a great fit. As a Warren fan, I love to play Portsmouth, but that over 2 hour trip is a long way especially on school nights. Would love to have Marietta back, but that is not going to happen. Probably more likely Warren goes with them, rather than them coming back.

The bottom number in football for DIV. II is 327 boys and Warren has 356
You are right Warren was D2 in both BBasketball and football, but Jackson, Gallia were D2 in basketball and D3 in football.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

Swanker Pine wrote:i don't think the Northwests and Wests want Itown and Ptown for 4 games
From the way you're whining it sounds like the Websters don't want to either.

Return to “Boys Basketball”