Chillicothe Coach Gary Kellough Steps Down

bvmv4life
All Conference

Chillicothe Coach Gary Kellough Steps Down

Post by bvmv4life »

Well I knew this day was gonna happen sooner or later..I hope it was on his own accord and not forced out by the so called AD saviour and his flunkies.. sad day for Chillicothe Basketball!

jgordon0315
JV Team

Re: Chillicothe Coach Gary Kellough Steps Down

Post by jgordon0315 »

Wow! From the outside looking in....as a Trojan fan, I would have to say job well done. i don't know how most of the cav nation feels about Coach Kellough but one Chilli fan I talk to from time to time told me he didn't like Coach Kellough. But his reasoning was because, "Anyone could've won with Humpty Hitchens!" Maybe, maybe not....but State Championships don't grow on trees and Chilli was always competetive and a gold standard under Kellough's tenure. Who are some of the possible candidates to replace Coach Kellough??

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

When Coach K brought his defensive approach to Chillicothe that made us the program they are today..yea Humpty was a big part in winning the 2008 State Championship but that game against Toledo Libby..defense won that game! Imma huge supporter of Coach K and he will be missed by alot of Cavalier fans! It's gonna be interesting who will be in line for the job..if I had to make a guess,the Superintendent is from Logan Elm so could Stiverson be in the mix? I will be on pins and needles waiting to see who will succeed Coach K..

dawescpa
Riding the Bench

Post by dawescpa »

I personally wish he would have stayed longer, but I also understand why it was time. He did nothing but give 100% to our school, our program, and our kids. My son respects him like no other coach he ever had. He loves him for what he gave and for what he expected of the kids. We as supporters of our school and program should be very thankful and appreciative of what he gave to our district and more importantly our kids. I told him 4 years ago that wins and losses are great, but what is not seen and is way more important is how a coach influences and what they give to our kids. The critics, administrators, and most others don't see what coaches do for our sons. The phone calls after they get out of school, the lunches they go to with them to, the real concern that he has for everyone in his program. These are the things that make a coach. And when you can succeed with a program and still influence young men the way he has, that my friends is how you measure the value of a coach. My wife and I as parents will forever be greatful to Coach Kellough and Deb for their time,love,energy, and what they gave up to be our Coach. Thanks Coach.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Well Said Dawescpa

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Heard this one is already a done deal. Matt Combs will be taking over as the Cavs coach next year.

letsgolf
Waterboy

Post by letsgolf »

Sid Farkus wrote:Heard this one is already a done deal. Matt Combs will be taking over as the Cavs coach next year.
It has been long rumored the the boe had a short list of candidates for when Coach Kellough stepped down and that Combs, while on the list, is not at the top. They will put on a full court press for Stiverson. While it may be a long shot, I thought the same when I heard they were going after Hinton.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

Why would they want stiverson? He had his chance here once. And I won't go by combs record while coaching V C. They always played a very soft schedule. But whoever they get. Will they get along with the new AD ? As. Much as I like Garin as a person., he is making no friends through coaches or students

letsgolf
Waterboy

Post by letsgolf »

bronc21 wrote:Why would they want stiverson? He had his chance here once. And I won't go by combs record while coaching V C. They always played a very soft schedule. But whoever they get. Will they get along with the new AD ? As. Much as I like Garin as a person., he is making no friends through coaches or students
I understand where you are coming from Bronc but remember that was a different administration and board. That whole process was weird during that hiring. From what I hear (it is 2nd hand, but reliable) this board and admin (specifically Benson, Mullins, and Saxton) want Stiverson. They went after Hinton, who at one time in the past also turned down the job. I also feel much like you about Combs.

I agree with you on liking Garin as a person but have heard the same as you have about making no friends. Not sure what is going on there.

Hopefully whoever ends up with the job continues the success established by Kellough. A class act who will be missed!

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Combs no...Robertson no...if they want to take this program and keep it at a high level those two coaches will not fill the void that Coach K has left..I did speculate about Stiverson but in all reality I believe that is who they want to Coach Chillicothe...the three Amigos as I call them have their own agenda. Like I said in an earlier post I and the fans and the city of Chillicothe will be sitting on pins and needles waiting to see who they hire....

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Will Lisath be in the mix?

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

My personal list: (and this only includes local coaches that are current head coaches. Obviously there are TONS of coaches whom are not local whom would be qualified and I would be happy with)

1. Stiverson
2. Lisath
3. Combs
4. Robertson

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

While i was on the JV team Robertson was assistant varsity at CHS and he was the only one there at the time who knew a lick about bball. Also a good guy with the young men. He understand them and relates well. I like him as the next coach. If it were Lisath, Stiverson, or Robertson would anyone be THAT upset? I think those are all good candidates.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

letsgolf wrote:
...that Combs, while on the list, is not at the top.
bronc21 wrote:And I won't go by combs record while coaching V C. They always played a very soft schedule.
letsgolf wrote: I also feel much like you about Combs.
This is exactly why it is hard for people outside of Chillicothe to root for the Cavaliers. The arrogance that permeates from this fan-base and from posters such as these is grotesque, to say the least.

I have been following high school basketball for the past twenty-five years. I have seen the celebrations, the defeats, the athletes, the coaches, the exalted, the maligned, the sad, the happy, and the mediocre. You name it, I have probably seen it. However, that does not necessarily qualify me to be a Southeastern Ohio Basketball expert, but what does help establish my credibility is the education of my chosen vocation.

When examining the human condition in context of social system theories, as we are all the same part of the macro-community and its solvency is dependent upon the basic unit, the single human relationship between another single human being. But has human beings gather and form groups because of simpatico thinking we tend to judge, label, and persecute others based on group think, thus, forming an "in-group" which fosters the paradigm of arrogance. "We are better than you, because you are a part of that group, not our group."

Social psychology tells us that our social environment shapes our perspectives and attitudes throughout our lifetime. These perceptions and attitudes are constantly changing based on culture, maturity, age, and education. As these personal characteristics are changing, so is our socialization process through structures (such as this forum) and interactions (these discussions). Furthermore, the self is determined by these socializations throughout our lifetime; therefore, socialization and self are closely related concepts. Through the concept of self, we has human beings, should have finely tuned perceptions of ourselves. It is important that we can separate ourselves from the rest of the group for the sake of our own personal health and well-being. Let this be an example of competency and a confident notion of self.

Now, to the crux of the matter. You, arrogant @$$e$ would be so very fortunate to have Coach Matthew Combs to head your program. I am sure that he would be cheesed for what I am about to type and there will be others who will say that I have osculated with the posterior of the coach, but no, as I had said, this is an example of competency and a confident notion of self. Coach Combs has taken a forsaken basketball program and made it a yearly conversation piece with the likes of Logan Elm, Greenfield McClain, Waverly, and Chillicothe; to diminish otherwise is ignorant. He has won multiple league championships, sectional titles, and a district title in 11 years, this, for a program in the previous 34 years with one league title. Coach Combs' next two wins will give him 200 for his career in his 12 year career. Yes, he is averaging 16.5 wins per season. To you ignorant nay-sayers, who criticize our schedule, Coach Combs has winning records against the SEOAL, the SVC, the MVL, and the SCOL. Furthermore, he is 34 – 14 (.708 winning percentage) against DI and DII schools over the last six years. Finally, his overall winning percentage is .720%.

Moreover, you freaking posters act like you WILL HAVE a say in who will be hired. Grow-up. I will not begrudge you to speculate, but to disparage another human being based on your idiotic group think without actual facts is ludicrous and diminishes your credibility.

One more thing, where were guys eight years ago? I remember going to a couple of Chillicothe games in the late 90's and early 2000's when there were but fifty people in the stands. Oh, that is right, you were DI and in the OCC getting your brains kicked in every night. Now that you have become the benefactor of people moving out of your mediocre district, you have become DII and changed leagues and have enjoyed the benefits of these moves. And now we have bandwagon jumpers who claimed that were fans all along. I call BS. I have said the following in a previous thread, and I will stand by it;
...if we are talking about the district level, Chillicothe has muddied the waters, sort of speak. Chillicothe is able to draw from (meaning, transfers in) from six other Ross County high schools. Secondly, Chillicothe has a tremendous amount of resources that can and does cater to the specialized athlete, in this case basketball. Lastly, (this may not be politically correct) but Chillicothe has the African-American athlete. So, until Chillicothe returns to DI or their talent drops off the map, they will always be the cream of the Southeast District, not Warren, not Vinton County, not Logan Elm, not Greenfield McClain, and so on, but Chillicothe. Chillicothe has won four or five district championships since 2006. Furthermore, in that same time span, Chillicothe have had five DI athletes, Givens (football at Miami University), Dawes (baseball at Xavier University), Hitchens (basketball at Akron, now James Madison), Ragland (basketball at UTEP), and now London, who is yet to decide. In that same time span, Vinton County, zero, Warren, one (Venham, football at OU), Logan Elm, zero, anyways, I have made my point.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

Well DUDE, I graduated from CHS in '76 and have been on the cavalier bandwagon since '63 when my dad starting taking me to cavalier games. So your little book you just wrote means NOTHING to me. You have never said one good thing on here about the cavaliers. So get over yourself

Billy_Hoyle
Waterboy

Post by Billy_Hoyle »

Back to the original topic...the current CHS principal, also known as hank24 on jjhuddle, made these posts about CHS Basketball and Coach K....... Agenda?
From the jjuddle archives:

"The only thing that has me worried is giving Van Matre an entire week to game plan. Although, he has probably had nightmares about our big 3 (Anthony, Ray, and Chris) he probably knows everything there is to know about CHS basketball. By now he knows every strength and every weakness. If CHS loses this game it will be because Coach K was out coached. Talent level is squarely on the side of the Cavs. Remember, this is as far as Coach K has ever taken a team in the tournament. So, I think the game comes down to overall talent (CHS) vs. coaching (McClain). It is an age old question in sports: Does great coaching beat great talent? In this case IMO it won’t. CHS’ talent will overcome whatever game plan McClain has cooked up. In a close game the advantage goes to McClain, Coach Van Matre, and Dante."

"If LE tries to run with CHS that will be playing right into the hands of the Cavs. Transistion scoring off pressure D is how this inexperianced Cavs team can win this game. But, if LE goes by the scouting report and plays the way they did last year at the Convo the Braves will be tough to beat. Zone D is the worst thing that can happen to the Cavs right now. Shooters are in short supply but team defense is not in Chillicothe. I expect a low scoring game that LE wins due to their ability to make shots. I'll take LE by 8."

"Yeah, one name is my question for Cavalier fans! Desales sits in a zone (2-2-1) which left the corners open from three point range and Chillicothe just happens to have a young man who is not only an outstanding 3 point shooter but also loves to shoot from the corner. How much did he play today? 5-6 total minutes? How much did he play in the second half? 1 minute? How much did we need his ability to stretch the D? A LOT! I love this Cavs team. Coach K has really done something turning a losing program into a state contender but I will never understand not using Seth today. Seth takes I believe 2 shots and makes 2 3 pointers. But, makes one bad defensive play and we don't see him again the rest of the game"

"Honestly, outside of Turner where is the offensive aggression for CHS? Of all the players on the court for the Cavs only Turner wanted the ball and was willing to take a jumper with confidence. Seth is a stud but takes too long to shoot and when he does if he misses he loses all confidence and defers to teammates. Caleb is a steaky shooter (great defender, leader, PG, etc.) at best and seems to get down on himself as well if he misses a shot. Jordan Benson was a stud in the first half but has limited range as does the other bigs Hopefully, a rematch in March but clearly LE is the better team right now."

"Chillicothe vs Ironton: Great coaching job by Ironton. Anytime a team comes out in the 3rd quarter and puts a beat down on a team that controlled the game in the 1st half you know the coach made some great halftime adjustments. That is the sign of an excellent in game coach and coachable players."

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

bronc21 wrote:Well DUDE, I graduated from CHS in '76 and have been on the cavalier bandwagon since '63 when my dad starting taking me to cavalier games.
How many games did you attend in the 90's or before the move the DII?
bronc21 wrote: You have never said one good thing on here about the cavaliers.
That is not true. I was very complimentary during the Cavaliers tournament run. In fact, I was in Value City Arena watching the games against Poland Seminary and Toledo Libbey. Also, my wife taped the Toledo Libbey game for me, and I watch it when I got home and expressed my admiration for the game in which the Cavs played. After being down, what?, 17 or so, and to battle back to send the game into OT, and eventually win, was truly remarkable.
bronc21 wrote: So get over yourself
Like I said, I have a finely tuned perception of myself, I do not let the judgmental acts of others, arguments without facts, claims without base, or idiotic or nonsensical ramblings of others to define me, or influence my perception of reality. You should try it sometime.

skippyhoops
Waterboy

Post by skippyhoops »

It would definately be an early Christmas present if the Cavs could land Stiverson or Combs, but I can't really see it. Both seem to have good situations currently and I doubt they would make a change. Robertson said in the gazette he was quitting for his family. Maybe Lisath, or someone from outside the area. It would seem that this would be a sought after position but then again they might not be as good as they've been the last several years. Could be some unfair expectations for whoever takes over.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

I can speak for bronc21 and myself.... DIE HARD FANS... I also graduated from Chillicothe in '93...I also have kids in the program so being a bandwagon fan is what I'm not..you have some good and bad opinions and that's fine..you also touch on Chillicothe having the "African American Athlete"...Chillicothe is blessed to be a very diverse school and one of the best Southern Ohio diverse schools besides Portsmouth...in hiring a new coach, they will have to be careful because some coaches are not ready for,as u call it the "African American Athlete"..do you think Coach Combs a Unioto graduate and Coach for Vinton Co ready for the diversity? Coach K was the best coach I seen to handle the diversity...personally I would love to see Coach Lisath name be in the mix..all speculation right now..

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Okay boys...keep Coach Lisath off your list....we would like to keep him in Pike County. We would like to see him continue to shatter the boys basketball record book as I'm told he ranks #1 in just about every winning category in Piketon Redstreak history. Plus he will be coaching his best and deepest team ever this coming season. "Coach L not for sale" :razz:

Return to “Boys Basketball”