New Coach at Vinton County

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

New Coach at Vinton County

Post by Sid Farkus »

Looks like there is a very good chance Combs may be the next coach at Chillicothe. Who will be taking over at Vinton County if that's the case. Here are some choices:

John Royster - former JV coach, had great year after great year including a 20-0 record in his final season.

Travis Hale - current JV coach, also had a 20-0 year

Mark Dixon - current girls varsity coach, won the TVC Ohio during his only season as head coach

NJ Kight - current varsity assistant, one year experience as head girls varsity coach

Russ Caudill - former junior high coach, had great year after great year inluding two undefeated years

Terry "Pup" Hale - lots of experience coaching OYB and other youth basketball, knows the program well

Myra Fleener
Riding the Bench

Re: New Coach at Vinton County

Post by Myra Fleener »

Not sure that is accurate information Sid.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Kenny Bixx Jr.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Xtoxxviii wrote:Kenny Bixx Jr.
lol

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Sid, that's a pretty interesting list of potential candidates to replacement Coach Combs. But I have a very good feeling that Matt Combs will be staying at VC.

If he did decide to take the Chilli job, one name you failed to include on your list of internal hires would be Chris Eldridge. Anyone who knows anything about the success of VC hoops throughout Combs' tenure knows that Coach Eldridge was the real brains in teaching Matt Combs practically everything he knows about coaching HS basketball. Granted, Eldridge is a complete nut who was often rumored to have done some crazy things but the guy is a genius.

I heard one time in the locker room he lit a bottle rocket, placed in his body cavity and when it exploded proclaimed with no hesitation.....see, The Rockets are nothing! I also heard he once bit the head off a live Falcon before VC played Minford.

My support if it comes down to it....Chris Eldridge!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Hillarious ...

I want to see what trick he pulls off when VC playes the Bulldogs ... Not sure I would try ANYTHING that includes the 'body cavity' though! :mrgreen:

2-Gun
Waterboy

Post by 2-Gun »

I heard Eric Marcum from Wellston has a interview is that true Sid.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Ty Webb wrote:Sid, that's a pretty interesting list of potential candidates to replacement Coach Combs. But I have a very good feeling that Matt Combs will be staying at VC.

If he did decide to take the Chilli job, one name you failed to include on your list of internal hires would be Chris Eldridge. Anyone who knows anything about the success of VC hoops throughout Combs' tenure knows that Coach Eldridge was the real brains in teaching Matt Combs practically everything he knows about coaching HS basketball. Granted, Eldridge is a complete nut who was often rumored to have done some crazy things but the guy is a genius.

I heard one time in the locker room he lit a bottle rocket, placed in his body cavity and when it exploded proclaimed with no hesitation.....see, The Rockets are nothing! I also heard he once bit the head off a live Falcon before VC played Minford.

My support if it comes down to it....Chris Eldridge!
I don't feel that Eldridge is in the same category as the coaches I mentioned. How hard is it to sit by Combs, look pretty (he did do that well) and listen to Royster complain. Let's face it, if this were a modeling gig then Eldridge would be the obvious choice. However, I think all the coaches I mentioned would do a better job than Eldridge.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Combs has a good thing going at VC. In my not so expert opinion, it would be a mistake to leave, but i dont know all of the details either.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Ty Webb wrote:Sid, that's a pretty interesting list of potential candidates to replacement Coach Combs. But I have a very good feeling that Matt Combs will be staying at VC.
You are correct about this. I was just having some fun by listing some potential candidates. Matt decided he was staying at Vinton County over the weekend. He decided he likes the kids and the community at VC too much to leave. Vinton County is lucky to have a coach as good and as loyal as Matt. I doubt he goes anywhere for a long time.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I was at the Vinton County Senior Awards Program this evening and was asked by two different individuals (one, a parent of a freshman player), as to Coach Combs' status; and as rumors often do, they were stretched outside the bounds of truth. For the record, I have to clear up a few misconceptions that has permeated around Vinton County since Chillicothe announced their coaching search. First and foremost, Coach Combs NEVER applied for the Chillicothe position. He was approached by the powers-to-be at Chillicothe for his services. Of course, Coach Combs was flattered and felt it necessary for his family's sake to speak with Chillicothe's administration. However, after several days of introspection, Coach Combs withdrew his name from consideration for the position of Boys' Varsity Basketball Coach at Chillicothe High School. Also, at no time was John Royster or any other individual on Sid Farkus' list was ever considered for Coach Combs' what would have been vacant position.

I would like to thank Sid Farkus for mentioning me as an heir apparent to Coach Combs. I think it is flattering that someone finds me worthy of consideration for a make believe position. Thank you.

Just one final note, for my part-time lunch time buddy: I will not apologize for my verbosity and I will not attempt to beguile you with an explanation for it. Know only this, I have worked very hard to improve myself in a myriad of ways and to belittle any achievement is bellicose.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Put down the thesaurus, hawkeye! The pages are becoming too worn.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Eric Marcum is going to be devistated!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The thought of not doing the Vinton County Roundall Podcast with Carl Knox anymore was probably the deciding factor in Coach Combs staying ... The oportunity to do shows with charasmatic charactors such as that Bolin fellar from trivalleyconference.com was just too good to pass up!

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

No it was probably the pressure that would come with coaching at such a "High Profile" school. :lol:

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Unless Combs changed his name to Drew Meister, it's safe to say this thread was bogus. :lol:

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I'm sure coach Combs entertained the idea. Who wouldn't? But in the end, with VC's upcoming junior high classes, Combs probably felt like VC was the better choice.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote:I'm sure coach Combs entertained the idea. Who wouldn't? But in the end, with VC's upcoming junior high classes, Combs probably felt like VC was the better choice.
I don't know Dundas ... He should have looked at the upcoming classes at Athens and high tailed it out of their! :mrgreen:

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93...the VC Athens basketball marchioness over the next 4-5 years is going to epic!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote:93...the VC Athens basketball marchioness over the next 4-5 years is going to epic!!
Way to the take the 'high road' Dundas ... lol ... See, Ty Webb would have came back on here with some smart ellick remark - that would have propelled the boys from Athens - to work even harder this off-season.

Coach Combs must have put a muzzle on him until next winter.

Return to “Boys Basketball”