Southern vs Vinton County scrimmage

Purple Gold
Freshman Team

Southern vs Vinton County scrimmage

Post by Purple Gold »

Hope its a good workout for our boys. Scrimmage starts at 5:30 hope to see a bunch of Tornadoe fans in the stands.

Golfer101
JV Team

Re: Southern vs Vinton County scrimmage

Post by Golfer101 »

Dundas do you have any results?

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

Fred G. Sanford wrote:Dundas do you have any results?

The girls are scrimmaging tonight and the boys scrimmage tomorrow according to one of the varsity players parents I spoke with tonight.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

npeifer wrote:
Fred G. Sanford wrote:Dundas do you have any results?

The girls are scrimmaging tonight and the boys scrimmage tomorrow according to one of the varsity players parents I spoke with tonight.
That is correct. VC @ Southern boys tonight. Anyone wanting to say hello, ill be there in a white hat.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

ttt

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Anybody have an update on the scrimmage?

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Vinton won every quarter but 1. Southern played decent defense but had a lot of trouble scoring the ball. Drummer didnt get much time and was very ineffective when he as in. Is he injured or sick?

big_al3564
Riding the Bench

Post by big_al3564 »

I thought southern won 3 of the 7 but maybe im wrong. When you have 2 boys playing. I may have looked at scoreboard wrong. I thought southern did ok though. We will get better as season goes on.

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

Super Trooper wrote:Vinton won every quarter but 1. Southern played decent defense but had a lot of trouble scoring the ball. Drummer didnt get much time and was very ineffective when he as in. Is he injured or sick?

That is not accurate as the 2 teams split the first 4 quarters 2 each. The 5th quarter VC won 9-4 beyond that I am uncertain. VC won overall but not by much.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Supertrooper...Do you have a copy of Vinton County's 2012-13 boys basketball schedule. GAHS will play the Vikings at Gallipolis on Jan. 29. Thanks.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

We're you there? Vinton killed them

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Could someone who is not a daddy let us know what really happened?

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Slight edge to VC. Southern was subing all the time. Never did they try their top 5 at the same time. Southern lacks a pure shooter again this year just like the last 2 years, but they do hustle.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Southern had a lot of turnovers. Vinton was a little to fancy with the ball

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I was there and I can answer some questions. First, I spoke to Coach Caldwell before the scrimmage and he was upbeat and excited about starting the season, however, this was Southern first scrimmage. This was the Vikings second. They scrimmaged Washington Court House and Marietta this past Saturday. In that scrimmage, the Vikings played well but there were a lot of areas that needed to be addressed. This scrimmage gave the Vikings a chance to work on those areas. Secondly, the Vikings are still in preseason mode, meaning, coaches are making evaluations, players are learning, and everyone is getting accustom to their roles. Next, the Vikings are playing without the services of a starter. Junior Alex Owings, is currently side-lined with a broken nose he recieved last Saturday during the previous scrimmage. He should be back for game number one. Fourth, Coach Combs took the time to look at several different combinations, including, at times, putting three freshmen on the floor at the same time. Not only was there three freshmen, there were three other players with zero varsity experience given the chance to play. Therefore, to say that the play of last night Vikings is indicative of a mid-season Viking team is a tremendous leap of logic. Finally, I thought the Tornados played hard and were skilled, but you could see the rust. I am sure that Coach Caldwell will have them ready when the games that matter come around.

Having said that, I believe the Vikings won 6 of 8 quarters on the strength of their defense, sometimes holding the Tornados to less than 10 points a quarter. Again, it was a learning experience for the Vikings, not having Alex Owings and with different combinations of younger players, we were at times stagnate on offense. One more time, it is pre-season.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

npeifer wrote:That is not accurate as the 2 teams split the first 4 quarters 2 each. The 5th quarter VC won 9-4 beyond that I am uncertain. VC won overall but not by much.
Lol.. that statement is completely false.

Scoring by quarter..
VC-8
SO-6

VC-14
SO-4

VC-17
SO-6

SO-6
VC-0

VC-11
SO-2

VC-7
SO-6

SO-13
VC-4

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I stand corrected. The Vikings won 5 of 7 quarters. Thanks Dundas!

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

My apologies on the incorrect info. My info came from a parent that was texting me during the scrimmage.

I think both teams will be much better later in the season that was was shown last night, but that goes for every team.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Hawkeyepierce...Could you send me a shedule of the 2012-13 Vikings boys basketball team? GAHS will play VCHS at Gallipolis on Jan. 29. Thanks.

The Dog
Freshman Team

Post by The Dog »

Thats just cause we no them Vinton boys dont care none about football. Are boys is still a celebratin beatin them Eagles and keepin em outta the playoffs. I wish are boys could get a crack at em later in the year. Junior will have em whipped into to shape and thinkin about basketball by then.

Return to “Boys Basketball”