Waverly @ Vinton County 12/4

Dundas
SEOPS

Waverly @ Vinton County 12/4

Post by Dundas »

Waverly travels to Vinton County Tuesday night for a triple header match up against the Vikings. Waverly leads the all time series with 10 wins against 4 losses. Waverly won the first 8 meetings between the two but VC has battled back in recent meetings winning 4 of the last 6. VC is 2-4 vs the Tigers at home.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Waverly @ Vinton County 12/4

Post by danicalifornia »

Is Kidd back? If so, I'll take the Vikings by 12. If not, the Vikings by 3. I think the loss of Hart will hurt the Tigers a lot, especially in their 1st game without him. And at VC is dry tough to win. Should be a heck of a game.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

If the tigers can control tempo lowering there turnovers they can get the win . But from seeing both a few times this summer I got Vinton by 9.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

VC by 8

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The injury to Hart will no doubt hurt the Tigers as he was one of only 2 returning starters. Waverly must stay out of foul trouble, limit turnovers and hit FT's if they want to pull out the win on the road. Very tough place to play, it won't be friendly.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Although it was a scrimmage and the Vikings had Kidd on the floor, VC looked very good against Washington Court House. The same WCH that Waverly beat on the road in their opener. The Vikes will be without Kidd but will have Alex Owings back tonight. I look for the Vikings to win this one by 10-15, but anything can happen in high school basketball. it should be 3 pretty good games starting at 5. The freshman Vikings will take on the Jackson Ironmen followed by VC vs Waverly Jv and Varsity.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Vinton County by 10 or so.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Vikings by 12

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vikings-47
Tigers-32

Final

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I didn't know until we got to the game that Heibel didn't make the trip (flu), so the Tigers were without two starting guards in Heibel and Hart. Waverly was way out of sinc and fell behind early, trailing 27-13 a halftime. A pretty even 3rd period saw VC lead 36-24 with Waverly picking up 6 fouls and VC none. The Tigers made a run midway through the 4th cutting it to 40-32 and several possessions to cut it further but kept turning it over.

The Tigers were outmanned but never, ever gave up - they showed a lot of heart, especially making the run in the 4th.

My three keys to the game: did okay in staying out of foul trouble. 27 turnovers will not win very many ball games. They went to the line 2 times and hit 1. That's right, 2 FT's.

The Tigers need to put this one behind them, learn from it and start preparing for the Burg who comes to the jungle Friday. Heibel needs to get well soon.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Congrats to the Tiger JV's on the win. Joe and Jake Henderson both saw some varsity action as well.

Jon B
Riding the Bench

Post by Jon B »

smurray wrote:Congrats to the Tiger JV's on the win. Joe and Jake Henderson both saw some varsity action as well.
Murray, who has been the scorers for the Tigers, now that they lost Kretzer? Do you have any stats for the first two games?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Lowlife32,
Heibel was the leading scorer in game 1 with 17 points, hitting 5 threes. That, along with him playing the point, was terribly missed last night. Not sure what Hart scored in game 1 but he went down with an injury in the 2nd period of game 1 and is now out 4-6 weeks. That hurt tremendously last night as well. Heibel and Hart are the two main long range threats and that proved to be a problem last night. Waverly struggled hitting outside shots and kept turning it over by forcing bad passes into the post (many times when double teamed). Not many points scored last night, not sure anyone was in double figures. Waverly will be a more balanced team when it comes to scoring this season.
Waverly had 1 guy on the floor last night with varsity experience from last year (White). As previously posted, two Freshman JV players saw action in the varsity game.

It was ugly but considering the circumstances (including playing at Vinton County) I thought the Tigers fought hard and gave it all they had.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

smurray wrote:They went to the line 2 times and hit 1. That's right, 2 FT's.

It was ugly but considering the circumstances (including playing at Vinton County) I thought the Tigers fought hard and gave it all they had.
So are you saying Waverly was cheated at VC?

zeb
Waterboy

Post by zeb »

Sid Farkus,

Sure sounds to me that's what he's saying.

Take it from someone who was just there scouting and could have cared less who won or lost..the outcome of that game had nothing to do with the officiating. Waverly was playing without a couple guys and with Vinton's defense it was obvious very early on that Waverly was going to have trouble scoring. Vinton was also playing without one of their best players, but their defense was really the difference in the game. I don't know if Waverly only shot 2 free throws or not, but I bet neither team shot more than 7 or 8.

smurray might want to try giving a little credit to the other team rather than just making excuses and blaming officials.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Ol' Farkus....as much as it pains me to agree with your cynical post, I must admit it seems as though this delusional, misguided Waverly poster had not only a bad taste in his or her mouth after the game but even posted prior to the game of his/her negativity towards VC.....
smurray wrote:Very tough place to play, it won't be friendly.
With all due respect to the others fans from Waverly, I simply don't get why this fan refers to VC as an unfriendly place.

Waverly was without a couple of their starters, as was VC without a starter too. VC played OK. Waverly didn't shoot the ball very well, committed 27 turnovers, and lost. To insinuate that VC is unfriendly or that the refs cost the Tigers the game is ludicrous.

Best of luck to Waverly the rest of the season. I hope thier injured/sick players get well soon.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I was not blaming the officials at all. Please read the content of my entire posts before making assumptions. Never once did I say a word about the officiating. I said it was ugly and Waverly struggled to find any identity without Heibel and Hart, two guards they needed badly if they were going to win at VC. I said 27 turnovers won't get it done, I would say that is the reason for the loss.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ty Webb,
nothing derogatory meant by "unfriendly" place. I would hope when any team goes on the road it's an unfriendly place. That's why it's called home field or home court ADVANTAGE. Sorry if the term or phrase offended you, but it wasn't intended to do so. Again, no reference to officiating what so ever.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Heck yeah!, It is "unfriendly." I hate everybody. Especially Farkus.

Here is my amateur coaching opinion. Waverly will not get many calls if your offense consist of trying to lob it inside, (the Vikings are very good mid-line/help-side defenders by the way) or launching "threes." Just sayin'

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

That's exactly what I said, hawkeye. I don't know how many of the 27 turnovers where forced passes into the post. I know without the two main long range threats out they wanted to pound it inside but they can't force it in like that. Some kids were forced into situations they weren't totally ready for yet but they need to put this one behind them and know they fought hard and gave it everything the had.

Return to “Boys Basketball”