Ever had a question for a referee?

Ty Webb
All State

Ever had a question for a referee?

Post by Ty Webb »

In Episode 22 of The Viking Roundball Podcast, host Carl Knox will be interviewing some of the highest rated basketball refs in the Southeast District. If you have a question(s) for these guys, feel free to ask now and we'll get you the answer.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Ever had a question for a referee?

Post by pfloyd »

Ty Webb ... I'd like to know whether the officials decide "how they are going to call a game (tight or will they let teams play) BEFORE the game" ...

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Pfloyd has a great question. I also would like to know if the rulebook changes with regards to time and score.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Great questions.... We'll get you the answers. We're recording this segment at 4PM today, so not much time to get your questions in. BTW, Coach Combs will not be participating in this interview so as to not show any favoritism toward VC.....in fact, he won't even be in studio with these guys.

This episode will be produced and published probably by 7PM tonight.

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

I want to know their favorite places to work and why? I also want to know their least favorite and why?

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

Ask them why some leagues have an assignment commissioner and some don't and what the process is to get one.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

These are great questions, but I have one that they may be uncomfortable answering. When working in crews, do you allow your partner(s) to make a mistake, make the wrong call, or interpret a situation wrongly? For example, we were in a game this season where a player from the opposing team slapped the glass after a shot attempt. The lead official immediately assessed a technical foul to the slapper. Later, a different official said to the table that was wrong call. However, the damage had been done. Since then I have seen four different slaps to the glass in four different games and no technical was assessed. At some point, or even in the moment, can't one of you intervene?

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

hawkeyepierce wrote:These are great questions, but I have one that they may be uncomfortable answering. When working in crews, do you allow your partner(s) to make a mistake, make the wrong call, or interpret a situation wrongly? For example, we were in a game this season where a player from the opposing team slapped the glass after a shot attempt. The lead official immediately assessed a technical foul to the slapper. Later, a different official said to the table that was wrong call. However, the damage had been done. Since then I have seen four different slaps to the glass in four different games and no technical was assessed. At some point, or even in the moment, can't one of you intervene?
Geez you ask hard questions. No wonder officials don't like you. :12223

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Hawkeypierce...Do yoy have a roster of Vinton County's boys varsity, JV and freshman teams? If so, could you send me one, If you need Gallia Academy's I'll send you one.

Here's a good one. In Gallia's game against Logan Saturday night, GAHS had the ball when the Logan coah called time out and when Gallia's scorekeeper told the official Logan could not call time without the ball, he threatened to throw her out of the game. Unreal.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Hawkeypierce...Do yoy have a roster of Vinton County's boys varsity, JV and freshman teams? If so, could you send me one, If you need Gallia Academy's I'll send you one.

Here's a good one. In Gallia's game against Logan Saturday night, GAHS had the ball when the Logan coah called time out and when Gallia's scorekeeper told the official Logan could not call time without the ball, he threatened to throw her out of the game. Unreal.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Ask them how they feel about calls or non calls that only are called or not called because the player gained an advantage! This drives me nuts, any contact allows a player to gain an advantage. You can hammer someone, but as long as the official feels that you havent gained an advantage, no whistle!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I wanna know why a team can trail most of the game and then go into their do or die pressure mode and it's allowed, even though much less was called both ways all throughout the game?

Also, what is the protocol for refs being aware of total team fouls? If one team has 8 and another team has 2......it's pretty much money the team with 2 is gonna get some quick ones against them.

What % of referees got into doing it because they loved the game but now are just in it for a side paycheck?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

eagles73 wrote:Ask them how they feel about calls or non calls that only are called or not called because the player gained an advantage! This drives me nuts, any contact allows a player to gain an advantage. You can hammer someone, but as long as the official feels that you havent gained an advantage, no whistle!
Yeah....a player can make good contact around the perimeter and move them from their line of path and get nothing called.....but if the same amount of contact and the player for whatever reason falls down...foul every time. Same amount of contact.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Who are the officials your interviewing.....unless your keeping that secret for the safety lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yeah....I can't listen.

Can you list some of the officials and some of their answers.

Thanks

Return to “Boys Basketball”