Waterboy

Re: Westfall @ Fairfield Leesburg

Post by silverstreak »

55 - 50 Westfall after 3 qtrs.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yikes....was this game scheduled after the coaching changes?

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

I hope Coach Carson pulls this one out.

silverstreak
Waterboy

Post by silverstreak »

Westfall 75 Fairfield 63 final.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Good for Coach Carson! I'll bet this will make up a bit for this tough season and will give the Mustangs a little momentum.

Roger Mink
Freshman Team

Post by Roger Mink »

Coach Carson and I scheduled this last year while I was at Westfall and he was at Fairfield. We had scrimmaged each year and felt this would be competitive year in and out. Very happy for him to get the win at Fairfield.

Great game from Dylan Anderson. 21 points. Shot the ball well from deep. Quentin Williams is a nice player for Fairfield. He is very composed. He had 26.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Congrats to Coach Carson and the Mustangs. They have an opportunity to get something going here.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

who does westfall play in the tournament?

Roger Mink
Freshman Team

Post by Roger Mink »

7 westfall vs 10 adena feb 19th 6:15

Winner plays piketon

Myra Fleener
Riding the Bench

Post by Myra Fleener »

I found it really interesting to hear that the people of the "FRIENDLY" village were booing Carson when he was introduced. First, you run a guy off that had some pretty good success, and then "BOO" him when he is introduced. What a classless group of people. How sweet for Coach to bring in his Mustangs and take it to the Lions like they did. I have a lot of respect for Matt and how he has handled the situation.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

was it students or adults booing him?

downtown95
Waterboy

Post by downtown95 »

First off, it was just a few of the students that booed. This was mainly in response to a small group of Matts friends and family cheering loudly when they introduced him. It was not even enough for the paper to have mentioned it. However, Stefan Forshe and Josh Walker have made a bigger issue out of this than anyone else and that is just to create drama to sell newspapers. To most people there is no resentment or hard feelings toward Matt. The nickname "friendly village" is a play on words to the fact that Leesburg was established as a Quaker community and there are several Quaker or Friends churches in the community. I'm sure the people there are no more friendly or hateful than Hillsboro, Greenfield, Lynchburg or Mowrystown or anyother small town in the U.S. They fired a coach, it happens all the time. They must have had a reason. Most people have moved on and I assume that after this game everyone else will too.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Westfall has a pretty decent chance to win the next three - vs. Unioto, vs. Teays Valley, vs. Adena at Waverly.

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Post by sinjinian »

They "run a guy off who had some pretty good success???" Wow, I'd love to hear your definition of success. The writers in Highland County are sure pulling their weight trying to keep Carson in the news.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

samuelk wrote:They "run a guy off who had some pretty good success???" Wow, I'd love to hear your definition of success. The writers in Highland County are sure pulling their weight trying to keep Carson in the news.
Not in the Fairfield club and only going on memory....but didn't he take over a 1-20 team and in his first year win about 8 and made it to districts....at age 20?.....then the next year lose in the districts to the eventual state champion Oak Hill team in a pretty tight game?

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

"They fired a coach, it happens all the time." how many coaches has leesburg been thru in the past 15 years? how many league, sectional, or district championships in this time period?

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Post by sinjinian »

I guess you are more of an optimist than myself, but if you cant improve on a 1-20 record you shouldn't have a job. Age has nothing to do with anything and losing in a tight game is still a loss. I am not naive enough to think you don't need players to win, but with the class he got as juniors his first year and having Chris Cox for four years, I don't consider it to be a successful program in the time he was there. Way too much emphasis is put on Sectional championships. You beat one team with an inflated record from down south and all the sudden we are adding the title of "Championship" to that particular season. I know this will come off as negative towards Carson and that's truly not my intent because I know he was very dedicated to what he did and I don't think he was a poor coach. It just gets old hearing the same story over and over. I've never seen so many news writers so intent on making everyone aware of their feelings that a particular coach was wronged. That being said, I don't want to start a running debate on the topic of his coaching ability so that's my last comment about it. Good luck to both schools in the tourney.

SportsGuyHCP
Waterboy

Post by SportsGuyHCP »

:) the company I work for gives away the newspaper. — "Stefan Forshe"

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The fact is he took them from a bottom feeding 1 win team to the districts and the next year gave Oak their toughest game until the state finals.

Return to “Boys Basketball”