Portsmouth Trojans 2013-2014 Preview

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Portsmouth Trojans 2013-2014 Preview

Post by trojandave »

I know it's very early to assess the 2013-2014 season, especially with the 2012-2013 season still going, but I thought it would be fun to just look ahead at the Trojans for next season.

Going into the 2012-2013 season, Portsmouth had only 1 player back with any varsity experience........Jayllen Carter. The Trojans, though, still managed a respectable 10 win season, with 2 freshmen and 5 sophomores seeing varsity time. For the bulk of the year, PHS started 6-1 freshmen Kyre Allison (games of 26, 24, and 20 points the second half of the regular season, including 17 in the tournament) and sophomores 6-2 Alex Dickerson (PHS MVP of the Boyd County Classic...12 points vs. Johnson Central) and 5-11 Sky Oliver (20 points vs. Gallia Academy). So next season lack of varsity experience will not be an issue. What will be an issue is who will play the 5 for the Trojans? Right now, 4 of the projected 5 starters should be Allison, Dickerson, Oliver, and Isaiah Lisath(12 points off the bench vs. Jackson and 10 vs. Logan). But who are the potential candidates to start at the 5 position? Sophomore 6-2 Hunter Gibson played well late in the year, while sophomores 6-2 Grant Underwood and 6-3 Micah Williams also saw varsity minutes in a couple of games. 6-1 Junior Alex Grashel also helped out at the 5 as well. 6-2 sophomore Darion Robinson is well on schedule to fully recovering from a knee injury suffered during football season and is a serious candidate to challenge for that 5 spot. This will be a key issue in the success of the 2013-2014 Trojans. PHS must have an inside presence next season, because the other 4 spots will be manned by experienced players who should be better after a year of varsity basketball. The varsity roster could end up having 5-6 kids in the 6-2 to 6-3 range, giving the Trojans some length even without a dominant 5 player.

Depth at guard will also be important to a successful 2013-2014. Junior Kahlil Lattimore and freshmen Zack Delotell saw limited varsity action, but their time will most likely increase with the need of guard play. It is uncertain at this time who from the junior varsity will step up next season and fill this need. Right now, the depth at this position looks to be thin.

The Trojans won 10 games with a variety of lineups while a large number of kids gained valuable experience. It figures that PHS can improve on the win total, but realistically Portsmouth is another year away from making a large jump in the W column. If Coach Collins can fill that 5 spot adequately, with a satisfactory rotation at the guard slots, the Trojans might just be ahead of that schedule.

wipala
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2013-2014 Preview

Post by wipala »

trojandave,,,good info....a couple of questions.....as far as you know
is there going to be a Bannon Park Classic this summer..a good look
at teams including our Trojans...second...does PHS have any size
coming up thru the ranks....really need some large in the middle..team
is heavy on guards and small forwards....next year should see some
improvement but the follwing year should see PHS back to the Regionals..
but tourny time is tuff.....thanks for the great job on your alumni page
:aaaaa41 :aaaaa58

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

wipala: Thanks for your compliments regarding the alumni page.........I have put a ton of work into it, hoping to make it one of the best basketball historical sites in the state for a school.

As far as next year and the few years beyond, we don't have any significant size right now, but kids can grow quickly in a year or two...........Anthony Davis, who played for Kentucky last year, grew 6 inches in one year. You are right in that we have quite a few forwards, and a couple of these kids look like they will grow, but one of the strengths of the Trojans next year will be depth on the front line, even though there won't be anybody in the 6-5 or 6-6 range. We will have about a half dozen kids in the 6-2 or 6-3 range, and Coach Collins can sub quite a bit.

Keep in mind that after this year, Ironton loses most of their roster including their starting five (including Zac Carter and Trey Fletcher), Piketon loses virtually their whole roster and coach, Peebles loses 9 seniors(including Trent Arey), while Minford (Austin McBee) and Wheelersburg (Derek Moore, Clay Massie, and Aaron Cowgill) will have significant losses. Portsmouth, on the other hand, is one of the few teams in the D3 SE District that has 4 of the top 6 back. The attrition of those other teams might just be a help to the Trojans as tournament time rolls around next February. Valley is one team that has a lot coming back, and they probably will be the favorite to win the SOC II in 2013-2014.

As far as I know, there will be a Bannon Park Classic in conjunction with a North End Reunion, which is held about every two years.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

trojandave wrote:wipala: Thanks for your compliments regarding the alumni page.........I have put a ton of work into it, hoping to make it one of the best basketball historical sites in the state for a school.

As far as next year and the few years beyond, we don't have any significant size right now, but kids can grow quickly in a year or two...........Anthony Davis, who played for Kentucky last year, grew 6 inches in one year. You are right in that we have quite a few forwards, and a couple of these kids look like they will grow, but one of the strengths of the Trojans next year will be depth on the front line, even though there won't be anybody in the 6-5 or 6-6 range. We will have about a half dozen kids in the 6-2 or 6-3 range, and Coach Collins can sub quite a bit.

Keep in mind that after this year, Ironton loses most of their roster including their starting five (including Zac Carter and Trey Fletcher), Piketon loses virtually their whole roster and coach, Peebles loses 9 seniors(including Trent Arey), while Minford (Austin McBee and Jared McCray) and Wheelersburg (Derek Moore, Clay Massie, and Aaron Cowgill) will have significant losses. Portsmouth, on the other hand, is one of the few teams in the D3 SE District that has 4 of the top 6 back. The attrition of those other teams might just be a help to the Trojans as tournament time rolls around next February. Valley is one team that has a lot coming back, and they probably will be the favorite to win the SOC II in 2013-2014.

As far as I know, there will be a Bannon Park Classic in conjunction with a North End Reunion, which is held about every two years.
Jared McCray is a junior.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

I see Gibson and Robinson, along with Dickerson, Allison and either Oliver or Lisath.. Underwood and Grashel could see a lot of minutes as well.
Delotell will add a spark and push them all for playing time..

Wipala there is a young man who could very well be 6-8" by the time he plays varsity. He is an 8th grader and stands close to 6-4".. Still growing..

Portsmouth Trojan Basketball is in a position where expectations are high not only in the near future, but also for the next 4 to 5 years.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

New Era: Thanks for the correction.......I have edited my post above to reflect that.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Portsmouth is a TEAM that has tons of UP SIDE returning next season ... GREAT guard play that will do nothing but improve, quicks at all positions - throw in Coach Collins & his staff ... the Trojans will be scary going into next season tournament ... in the SEOAL Warren has a great season in front of them again next year French, Patton, Hall returning with an undefeated JV squad to draw from ... Gallia - showed improvement this year but will continue to be 2nd tier in the league, Jackson holding serve in the bottom, Logan loses 5 starters to graduation ... Chance Cox, Joey Cottrill on the perimeter got significant playing time in the 2nd half of the year ... a BIG difference in the success of next years club is a "whisper in the air" at this time BUT if the whisper gets louder as time goes by here in the next few months the Purple could turn into an "instant" contender in the SEOAL (it's wait and see right now - I'll be the first to post the BIG news should it become reality) ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: Great to visit with you in the Land of the Purple this year.......and I hope that your Chieftains can get things turned around.......the potential is there at Logan to have a consistent winner........I am anxiously waiting the "BIG" news if indeed it becomes reality. I also think that Warren is going to have a great 2013-2014.........21-1 varsity, only lose 1 starter, 21-0 JV.......they are right now the Goliath of the SEOAL.

I'll be looking for you on Saturday 3-2-13 at the Convo........I am planning on seeing the last 3 games, and might just be able to make the Thursday and Friday D2 doubleheaders at the Convo.

Of course, I wish you Godspeed on your health........you've had a fantastic attitude despite all you've been through.
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans will be participating in the KSA Classic in 2013-2014, and most likely will be placed in the division with similar size schools this time. PHS went 2-1 in the 2011 Classic, defeating Florida schools Pace and Spanish River, while Los Alamitos, California beat the Trojans. Portsmouth finished 3rd out of 8 teams in their pool in the 2011 event.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Kyre Allison's 26 points vs. Logan on Feb.14 tied the PHS record for most points by a freshman in a varsity game.......in the 2007-08 season, Andrew Bendolph tossed in 26 vs. Chillicothe, with the Cavaliers winning the D2 state title that season.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans will have a busy basketball June. They are entered in the Shawnee State Summer League (first game tentatively scheduled for 8:45 on Monday, June 3rd) and also will be going to Dayton on June 22nd. They will be hosting a couple of shootouts as well. They will end summer play with the Bannon Park Classic, which this year looks to be much more stacked with quality high school teams. When I get more details, I will post them.

Very excited to see what should be a very improved Trojan cage squad that this year will have the experience to go along with talent.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

preety excited about this years squad...any of these young men playing on Friday nights this fall?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

LetsGoPSU: Quite a few of these kids will be playing on Fridays........Darion Robinson, Alex Dickerson, Isaiah Lisath, Sky Oliver, Kahlil Lattimore, Hunter Gibson, and Zack Delotell all played last season and several of them will play offense and defense. I'm not sure whether Kyre Allison is going to play. He has played football in the past but didn't last season. Right now, it looks like 7 of the top 8 varsity cagers will be on the gridiron. I would love to see Darion Robinson stay healthy for a full football season........he can go the distance at any time, and has recovered quite well from his knee surgery last October. I saw him run at the SEOAL track meet and his stride looked good........the Trojans won the 4x200 relay, with Dickerson and Robinson as the last two legs.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... trojandave - any truth to the scuttlebutt going around that Kyre Allison will be making an announcement at the Bannon Park Classic get-together something about wearing Purple & White for the 2013-14 season ? :mrgreen:

... sorry td I couldn't help myself with that one LOL ... your Trojans will be one of those teams I'm pretty stoked to see in the upcoming season - Mr. Allison will be special for PHS and a thorn in the side of any coach trying to find a way to matchup defensively against the youngster - there's a possibility that pfloyd may be in the Portsmouth area over July 4th - depends on how my surgery goes - IF things go well, and I can handle the trip I'll make my way to 14th St. & Robinson Ave...

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

thx for the info dave, things have been quiet coming out of the hall ways of Portsmouth High School, hopefully the kids are learning how to play defense, with the talent and speed at the skills, its time we make some progress on Fridays

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: May the Good Lord bring you back to full health.........your Chieftains have a good starting point with the 6-8 kid. I talked to Coach Helber at the SEOAL meet in Portsmouth and he is upbeat about the 2013-2014 season. I asked him about the PG position for the Purple and he said he has one ready to go. I wished him good luck for the upcoming season but not against the hometown Red and Blue. Portsmouth and Logan always seem to play close games.......last year it was 69-66 PHS in both games, the year before we won at Logan by only 5. I look for more of the same in 2013-2014. Hard to believe that we have beaten the Chieftains 8 straight times. I look for Kyre to have a really good year, and it is more likely that will happen if the surrounding cast can provide some support. The one glaring spot on our roster is that we have no size.......tallest starter will be 6-2.........Logan will have a big size advantage in the post, but can they take advantage of it?

LetsGoPSU: I forgot about 6-1 senior Alex Grashel..........he will be in the rotation for basketball and also plays football. Alex is a team player, and will do whatever is asked of him.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu May 30, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans will play at Russell on Tuesday, June 4 at 6:00 against Russell and Ashland. The Dayton Shootout on June 22nd is tentative at this point. The Shawnee State summer league will play on Mondays and will last through the first week of July.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

just like his daddy! RIP

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Seems like this first week of June will be a busy one.
I believe that the new football coach is having camp then as well. Traditionally we held 7 on 7 camp in late July just before the start of actual coaching days. Seems to me that the new coach should have got with Coach Collins and seen what his schedule for the boys was prior to setting his since we have so many pulling double dutey.
Darion Robinson, Alex Dickerson Kahile Lattimore Zack Delotel, Sky Oliver, Hunter Gibson, Michael Sturgille have all played both in the previous seasons. This sure doesn't seem like the new dates for camp were well thought out to me. These boys will have to choose or be running on empty having them on the same days.
Oh well just my thoughts best of luck to both teams.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans have fared very well so far this June, having lost only 1 quarter in 2 shootouts. Portsmouth swept Rock Hill at home, then went 4-1 on the road vs. Ashland and Russell. The only loss was to Ashland, but the Trojans did split with the Tomcats. The Trojans had football workouts earlier in the day, and still played well at Russell.

With the events that have transpired this past week off the court, Portsmouth fans can get even more excited about this team and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we will make a serious move into pfloyd's top 8 while the season is still young!! Sorry, but I'm not offering any more details at this time except to say that the varsity roster has a different look to it now.

Return to “Boys Basketball”