Clay @ Western for the SOC 1 title !

Lightle04
SE

Clay @ Western for the SOC 1 title !

Post by Lightle04 »

Let's get this started !! Who you got ?

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Re: Clay @ Western for the SOC 1 title !

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Its just great that Western is in the conversation. These last several games they have played very well. If they continue, they win next Friday. Gritty performance in that crazy environment at Beaver will help them.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Clay is one of the top 3 teams I have seen Western play. There size gave us fits a Clay . Hopefully we shoot well at home. And the boys have to box out on the boards.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

This is how a league title should be decided. The competition between the SOC I teams has almost always been the closest, from Junior High on up. All I can say for both teams is to leave it all on the floor, enjoy this last conference game of your Seniors' careers. For the Seniors from Clay, I recently came across the DVD of the last game of your 8th grade season. It was also the last game at Rubyville School. There were emotions gone wild in that packed little gem of a gym. You played through, and off of those emotions to get the win. This will be a similar atmosphere, only played on a bigger stage. You have a great opportunity that lies ahead next week. I don't mean winning, I mean getting to play in the one game everyone else in either division of the SOC wants to be in-the championship game. You have put yourselves in the position to add to the banner in the gym, but also to hug the gold ball! Good luck to both teams, I will pray for no injuries and a clean hard fought game.

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

I'm very impressed with the way Western has been playing, Good luck to both teams but I'm taking Western @Western in this one. with what's on the line @home for their seniors is huge and will be tough to overcome. That new coach will have a lot of teams trying to steal him lol

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Coach Miller has done a great job with this team from first game to now there has been a huge growth as a team. This is the same team that has struggled to win 6 games a season. In coach Millers first year he is playing for a league title at home. Regardless of the outcome I hope he is a contender for SOC coach of the year. Good luck to both teams in the tourney. And get the "W" Indians !!

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Oh and Western is on a 6 game win streak and has won 7 of last 8. There last loss was at Clay. This will be a great game . Everyone come out to Latham and cheer your team on !!!!

jordan23
Riding the Bench

Post by jordan23 »

Clay will the a tough test for Western but you can bet western will be up for the test. It will be tough shutting down king.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

Good Luck Western. Keep that league title in Pike County!

pantheralumni04
Waterboy

Post by pantheralumni04 »

Who would've guessed that it would come down to Clay vs. Western for the SOC I Championship? Very few people!! I knew Western could have a chance to make some noise, but honestly didn't think they'd be tied for the 1st place spot with one game to go vs. the other top team in the conference.

Friday night, much like last Friday vs. Eastern, will be an absolute dog fight. The most key aspect to this coming game Friday will be post play, turnovers, and MAKING A FREE THROW... They call them FREE for a reason!!!!!!!!!!

Nonetheless, the bigs down low in Bryce Brewster, Dylan Stephens, and Brandon Brewster will be a big impact in this game vs. the size of the Clay Panthers. They have to come out and get early stops and stay out of foul trouble, box out, and take the charge. Too many times, I've seen them go for the block when a charge would've been so much easier to take. Granted, sending a ball into the 10th row looks a lot better than taking a charge, but still. Stay out of foul trouble, and they'll be just fine down low. Stephens looked phenomenal at Eastern with 14 strong rebounds and just a couple fouls. Bryce Brewster came out and played a lot more physical and aggressive than normal, which is very good.

Turnovers...... This kills Western night in and night out. Whether it be traveling, forcing bad passes, etc... It's got to be at a minimal Friday night.

I'm not even going to get into the free throw section....

Without a doubt, Kyle Miller will have these boys more than ready to come out and get a W and cut the nets down on their home court in front of a capacity crowd in downtown Latham! If you haven't been to a Western game yet this year, try to make it out and watch these boys. They play hard from the start to finish. Go Indians!

eagle country
Freshman Team

Post by eagle country »

Good luck Indians if you play like you played us you will bring home the title I'm prolly the only eagle fan rooting for you but its well deserved you knocked off a team twice this yeat that has won it 3 years in a row so you can at least keep the title in pike county good luck to coach miller and his staff and to the boys who have put in the blood sweat and tears to get where you are this year

jordan23
Riding the Bench

Post by jordan23 »

appreciate the post eagle country. Very classy, I as well hope Western can keep the League title in Pike County. GO INDIANS

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Best of Luck to Western. Kyle Miller COY in SOC I, it's not EVEN CLOSE! On 2nd thought, Coach Betten at Clay could have a claim too. Both are doing a great job!

jordan23
Riding the Bench

Post by jordan23 »

I'm very surprised this thread hasn't grown. Anyway as long as the game is played tomorrow I'm predicting a packed house. Lets hope the Western team will be ready to go. This being their first ever shot at an SOC title, hopefully they take full advantage and do not let this one get away. Western needs to stay hot going into the tournament.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Had the privilege to coach against Western's coach the last couple years in JV. Even though my teams at Symmes Valley always got him, it was always super close and a couple going in overtime. No doubt my teams were more talented but he probably out coached me to keep them close. Very classy young gentleman with a great deal of desire and knowledge. Hats off to the job he has done in his first year. I think Coach Jordan was a great coach but I think he wasn't the same coach after he was forced out of southeastern. His heart stayed there so he never really got Western where they needed to go. Western's new coach is going to have a great career and a high winning percentage.

transplanted_chieftain
Waterboy

Post by transplanted_chieftain »

Every panel needs an opposing view to keep the topic lively. I have seen both teams play and am impressed with both particularly given their records last year and changes to their personnel. Clay is more of a 3 headed monster with King, Hinze and Gilliland as I have seen them win games when one of the 3 doesn't score so shutting one of them down doesn't mean shutting the whole team down. Seems Western might be similar which makes this a special match up. Which player and team is going to step up? Since this trio is sophomores (inexperience showed at their last loss to East at East - to be up 10 mid way through the 4th qtr and loss by one on a last second shot), not forcing things and better utlizing the clock will be key. Clay's sophomore class has been accustomed to winning and success and I feel they will handle the pressure this time and squeak by with 62-59 win.

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

First time in a long time there is some excitement in SOC 1. Going to be tough to beat Western on the road. Clay is going to be NICE for the next couple of years though!

scotisaac
Waterboy

Post by scotisaac »

Clay wins it 60-48.. good run by the Indians. Congrats to Clay

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Simple story of this game was Clay hit their shots (seemed like all of them), and Western did not. Free throws hurt Western again. Dillon Lee shot lights out for Western. Great game by him, and Nick Shanks. Shooters will have nights like this. Just hope they got it out of their system tonight.

Congrats to Clay! Gonna be a good team for a few years.

Shout out to Coach Miller! HE IS the reason we had a chance to play foe the title tonight.

Get 'em in the tourney Indians!

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Simple story of this game was Clay hit their shots (seemed like all of them), and Western did not. Free throws hurt Western again. Dillon Lee shot lights out for Western. Great game by him, and Nick Shanks. Shooters will have nights like this. Just hope they got it out of their system tonight.

Congrats to Clay! Gonna be a good team for a few years.

Shout out to Coach Miller! HE IS the reason we had a chance to play foe the title tonight.

Get 'em in the tourney Indians!

Return to “Boys Basketball”