Coach Howie Caldwell

g w mclintock
All State

Coach Howie Caldwell

Post by g w mclintock »

I've been a Howie fan for several years.

I wondered why he left Eastern to go to Federal Hocking but was happy when he won a TVC Hocking title @ FH.
I was disappointed when he left FH. I lost some respect when I realized he was chasing the talent and going to Trimble.

Tonight I lost all respect for Coach Caldwell. FH traveled to Trimble without their leading scorer Jon Snyder. I did not attend but I have been listening to 105.5. Trimble led at the end of 3 quarters by 32 points. FH had only scored 26 points in the first 3 quarters. Coach Caldwell started his regular lineup in the 4th quarter and they played as a group until less than 4 minutes remaining, leading by as much as 35.
Why he would do this to these FH young men that he coached the previous two or three years? As a former coach, how can he look these kids in the eye when they shake hands after the game?

This week I've read about classy moves by the Nelsonville and Wellston girl’s coaches, allowing injured opposing players to get recognition on senior night. I remember FH's Coach Butcher doing the same thing for one of Howie's Eastern players (Nathan Cozart) several years ago. I guess Howie forgot about that game or maybe he just doesn't care about respect from the other coaches anymore.

At least there was 1 class act coach in the gym at Trimble tonight.

So long Howie, you lost a longtime fan tonight.

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Re: Coach Howie Caldwell

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

Unfortunately he lost a lot of fans when he chased the talent! I don't think you are the only person that feels that way! Most truly basketball fans feel that way!

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

It is hilarious how fans love Howie when he is coaching at their school, and hate him when he is not. I saw some occasions when Howie did the same thing at Southern, Eastern, and FH. Yet nary a fan from any of those schools came on here and said a word about it. Well, this site was not here when he coached at Southern, but it was when he was at the other schools. I remember a game when Cody Dill dunked the ball up 30+ on a team in the 4th one year, and all we heard from Eastern fans was how great the dunk was, and how Howie was the greatest coach in the area. Then when he went to FH we read, "I've lost all respect for him for giving up on our kids..." Kind of ironic isn't it?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

GW -

What was on display tonight was the dichotomy of the motivation of two people who coach HS basketball. I labeled Howie a "nomad" on here prior to the season for him pulling up stakes and riding his camel to G-town. Third stop in what, four years? Yes, he's chasing the talent, building his win total by doing so, and padding his coaching dossier. Coach Butcher came back to his alma mater to coach the kids, due to a bad set of circumstances at the outset of the season. Joe's done his time and contributed greatly to HS basketball, with class. This isn't about wins and losses with Joe, it is about the kids, the community, and the program.

The motivation for doing what one does, well, eventually, you have to answer for it. Very unfortunate to hear what happened tonight, probably did some irreparable damage to a long term coaching relationship. What goes around comes around, and the last time I mentioned that five letter word that starts with "K" and ends with "a" on this website, I nearly incited a riot up on Rt. 339. Let's leave them out of this one. :122245

Joe will regroup and have the boys ready to go, and I am sure they walked out of that gym with their heads held high. Tomorrow is another day.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Oh my. Boo hoo

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Super Trooper wrote:Oh my. Boo hoo
Well put. But only boo hoo when he is coaching against you :122246

the Kool-Aid Man
Freshman Team

Post by the Kool-Aid Man »

I will say this, Howie did not chase talent. Talent chased him. He is a very classy coach and will do what is best for kids. Yes Trimble has talent, and talent only takes u so far. You also need a great leader to lead the talent. I know that many of his former players including one from federal come to every game and even practice at Trimble. Folks that's called RESPECT. Like him or not the Cats are 19-0 deal with it and get better

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

the Kool-Aid Man wrote:I will say this, Howie did not chase talent. Talent chased him. He is a very classy coach and will do what is best for kids. Yes Trimble has talent, and talent only takes u so far. You also need a great leader to lead the talent. I know that many of his former players including one from federal come to every game and even practice at Trimble. Folks that's called RESPECT. Like him or not the Cats are 19-0 deal with it and get better
I never was much of a fan of Howies, but I did have respect for his coaching. I do know Howie is not the first coach, nor will he be the last, who has left a job for a better one. I sure would like to hear of a coach if there is one who knowingly left a job for a worse one. What is the name of the coach who said, "hmmmm.... I am coaching a team with some talent, but I want to go take over that team with less talent?" Not sure I know of one.

Nor is Howie the first or the last to be accused of running the score up. I remember a few days ago some people on here saying no way Howie is COY, and that Joe Butcher should get that award. Maybe he will. I have nothing against coach Butcher, and from what I have heard I feel not a finer man could receive that award. But maybe, just maybe those comments motivated Howie a little tonight, and his players as well.

I don't know for sure who any of the other posters on this thread are. I don't have anything against any of them either. I do find it interesting though how "a fan for several years" can after one game lose all respect for the coach they were fan of. But to each his own.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Not in basketball but Coach Burleson left a South Gallia team that he took to the playoffs twice for a VC team that was a dumpster fire when he took over. So there's one lol

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Dundas wrote:Not in basketball but Coach Burleson left a South Gallia team that he took to the playoffs twice for a VC team that was a dumpster fire when he took over. So there's one lol
So he left a D6 team for a D3 team? Just curious, what was SG's record his last year there, and the year after he left? Also, we see how well that move worked out for him. Isn't he looking for a job now? Just sayin... LOL

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

They were 3-7 his final season and 4-6 the year after but you can ask anyone from either side, South Gallia would've beaten VC those years regardless of school size. VC was wayyyy down. He took a harder job at VC. He stepped down this year on his own accord. Anyways, ill stop stealing this thread. Lol

I have always found it odd that Caldwell has been at so many hocking schools. Has he ever been a head coach outside of the TVC hocking?

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

I don't think Howie has coached any team that is not currently in the Hocking.

Also, 3-7 is not loaded with talent. I wonder if he knew when he went 3-7 that he had more talent than he would have at V-C? But I will give you the one game edge, so yes we agree that Burlson left for less talent, and now he is looking for a job... So one coach foolishly leaves for less talent. Maybe Howie should have gone to Miller and people wouldn't be so sore at him. :122249

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Maybe if he went to Miller, they would be 19-0!

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Dundas wrote:Maybe if he went to Miller, they would be 19-0!
Maybe. And then of course it could be said that he "chased the talent..." :lol:

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Binary wrote:
Dundas wrote:Maybe if he went to Miller, they would be 19-0!
Maybe. And then of course it could be said that he "chased the talent..." :lol:
Hah!

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

I just got a pm from a Trimble poster who informed me that 3 of the 5 starters for Trimble tonight did not start last year. Also that one of them did not even play, and the other two played JV. His point he claimed is that it's not like Trimble had 4 or 5 starters coming back from last years team. According to him they had one full time starter, Couch, and Jenkins who started some games, coming back.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Binary wrote:I just got a pm from a Trimble poster who informed me that 3 of the 5 starters for Trimble tonight did not start last year. Also that one of them did not even play, and the other two played JV. His point he claimed is that it's not like Trimble had 4 or 5 starters coming back from last years team. According to him they had one full time starter, Couch, and Jenkins who started some games, coming back.
I do believe Trimble finished the season last year around .500

morgeen
Riding the Bench

Post by morgeen »

i didnt think Howie was intentionally running the score up. This isn't his first rodeo - he is doing what he thinks is best for his team to get them ready for the tourney. Hes done a great job here. I think these guys can make some noise.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

I certainly won't ask anyone to let any facts get in the way of those lamenting the loss of Howie Caldwell from their programs. However, I would like to point out that three non starters were on the floor to end the third quarter, including a freshman and another JV player. Also, not all five players who started the game were on the floor to start the fourth quarter. I think the bigger picture here is that the coach that many love to hate is now coaching at the school that many love to hate. Trimble gets that, and that may be why you see the pro Howie signs on the gym wall.

Steely, if you remember I was one who supported you the last time you mentioned the k-ending-with-a word. :mrgreen:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:I certainly won't ask anyone to let any facts get in the way of those lamenting the loss of Howie Caldwell from their programs. However, I would like to point out that three non starters were on the floor to end the third quarter, including a freshman and another JV player. Also, not all five players who started the game were on the floor to start the fourth quarter. I think the bigger picture here is that the coach that many love to hate is now coaching at the school that many love to hate. Trimble gets that, and that may be why you see the pro Howie signs on the gym wall.

Steely, if you remember I was one who supported you the last time you mentioned the k-ending-with-a word. :mrgreen:
Yes, you did my friend, and I have not forgotten that fact! Still appreciate it to this day. :122245

Return to “Boys Basketball”