Coach Howie Caldwell

whompascat
All Conference

Re: Coach Howie Caldwell

Post by whompascat »

Howie had nothing to do with the shirts.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Really? That is your contribution to this thread? Who said he had anything to do with the shirts? NO ONE. If you go back and read what was posted by others, it was regarding the fact that they were being sold. Now, Howie could have done something about that (which was everyone's point) but he hasn't. That is the issue about the friggin' shirts.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

BB #26 wrote:40 yrs? If my math is correct it is closer to 30 than 40.

Were these 4 schools in the same league? Did each of those schools run out of talent while the new school had talent coming up? Did he move to each new community? Just wondering!
From my research I found that Howie started teaching and coaching at Racine Southern in 1975. He was there until he went to Eastern in 1998. He stayed at Eastern until 2011, when he went to FH. He had a house on the same property near Tuppers Plains while he coached at all three of those schools. Upon talking to the AD at Trimble I found that he is now living in a house in the Trimble district.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Binary wrote:

Were these 4 schools in the same league? Did each of those schools run out of talent while the new school had talent coming up? Did he move to each new community? Just wondering!
From my research I found that Howie started teaching and coaching at Racine Southern in 1975. He was there until he went to Eastern in 1998. He stayed at Eastern until 2011, when he went to FH. He had a house on the same property near Tuppers Plains while he coached at all three of those schools. Upon talking to the AD at Trimble I found that he is now living in a house in the Trimble district.
Finally something that we can agree on.... :) I think he was an assistant to Carl in '75 then took over when Carl left. I would guess that was around 1980 but not sure.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Should they sell shirt with some slogan such as 'He's driving our Cadillac now" for Jay Kline at NY? I know that the school isn't selling them, it's an independent business in town that is and selling them at games. Howie could have said "hey I didn't give an ok to use my name on a shirt" Stop it and make one up about the team, not me. However as mentioned he likes the attention. It shouldn't be about him even though he's driving the bus, it's about the players who actually execute the game plan and shirts should be made up with their names on them. Have they done a shirt with the football coaches name on it??? All I've seen is ones with Mohawk Mafia which is a referral to the team not Phil. Again he can flat out coach there is no question about that.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

G W McLintock wrote:
Binary wrote:

Finally something that we can agree on.... :) I think he was an assistant to Carl in '75 then took over when Carl left. I would guess that was around 1980 but not sure.
He did not take over for Carl until around 87. The only time he lived in the same house was his years at his alma matter beginning in fall of 98 and remained there while at FH and is still there at times while renting a place in Trimble district. All of this is meaningless

Eagle82
All Conference

Post by Eagle82 »

Who are the assistant coaches for Trimble?

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Eagle82 wrote:Who are the assistant coaches for Trimble?
I believe they are Chris Lyons, George Gossman and Dave Richards.

Thanks to ST for the correction.
Last edited by g w mclintock on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Chris Lyons

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

The facts about Howie are this.........HE TEACHES DEFENSE.........HE CONDITIONS HIS PLAYERS.........AND HE WINS!!!!

Obviously he does much more.......but his teams play hard, and usually win................all this nonsense about t-shirts....if I was him and was getting ready for a tournament, I could care less about a t-shirt/or what it said..........

As for chasing talent........this is a subject for those who know him better than me.........I guess if I was given a choice to coach at team A(with a ship-load of talent and size) or to coach team B(who is average at best)........I'd also chose team A.......Try and put yourself in his shoes and be reasonable........

He is a above average coach....border-line great........one of the better ones in this area for sure!!!

I personally dont care for some of the comments he can give to an opposing coach, but Ive also said some things that I regretted after a close game too......summation(IMO).......most/all schools would be lucky to have Coach Caldwell........the end

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

The Enforcer wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:I am impressed he can still walk. You'd think his heels would be too bruised to walk.
He had a broken foot earlier this yesr
He didn't break his foot STOMPING, did he??

n4sir
Freshman Team

Post by n4sir »

Like him or hate him he led those boys to school record of 22-0. That is an incredible record, it's tough to go undefeated in any league.

Eagle82
All Conference

Post by Eagle82 »

G W McLintock wrote:
Eagle82 wrote:Who are the assistant coaches for Trimble?
I believe they are Chris Lyons, George Gossman and Dave Richards.

Thanks to ST for the correction.[/quote

Chris Lyons followed Coach Caldwell to Trimble to me that would be difficult to coach against your Alma Mater that you also played for.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I think for Chris it is about learning from the best until he decides he is ready to take on his own coaching job

xnd1fan
Waterboy

Post by xnd1fan »

Yea I remember when Grandy coached the girls at Trimble and he would be up 50+ points and his girl would still be in?? I think Sikorski was the coach but Grandy called the shots. I understand that sometimes you need to build chemistry with a group of kids and you need to play them together even if it is at the expense of the other team.

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

g w mclintock wrote: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:31 pm I've been a Howie fan for several years.

I wondered why he left Eastern to go to Federal Hocking but was happy when he won a TVC Hocking title @ FH.
I was disappointed when he left FH. I lost some respect when I realized he was chasing the talent and going to Trimble.

Tonight I lost all respect for Coach Caldwell. FH traveled to Trimble without their leading scorer Jon Snyder. I did not attend but I have been listening to 105.5. Trimble led at the end of 3 quarters by 32 points. FH had only scored 26 points in the first 3 quarters. Coach Caldwell started his regular lineup in the 4th quarter and they played as a group until less than 4 minutes remaining, leading by as much as 35.
Why he would do this to these FH young men that he coached the previous two or three years? As a former coach, how can he look these kids in the eye when they shake hands after the game?

This week I've read about classy moves by the Nelsonville and Wellston girl’s coaches, allowing injured opposing players to get recognition on senior night. I remember FH's Coach Butcher doing the same thing for one of Howie's Eastern players (Nathan Cozart) several years ago. I guess Howie forgot about that game or maybe he just doesn't care about respect from the other coaches anymore.

At least there was 1 class act coach in the gym at Trimble tonight.

So long Howie, you lost a longtime fan tonight.
Well, Howard hasn’t been up by 35 on FH for a long while. 😆

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
F5fan
Waterboy

Post by F5fan »

I don’t have a dog in this hunt and my kids didn’t even go to a TVC school but Howie a proven winner. His most success came when he was at Eastern, his alma mater, when he took his only team to date to Columbus in 2001 as a head coach. Did he chase talent there….who knows and who really cares. All that matters is that he knows how to win and that’s what the schools pay him to do….Win Games.

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

F5fan wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:17 pm I don’t have a dog in this hunt and my kids didn’t even go to a TVC school but Howie a proven winner. His most success came when he was at Eastern, his alma mater, when he took his only team to date to Columbus in 2001 as a head coach. Did he chase talent there….who knows and who really cares. All that matters is that he knows how to win and that’s what the schools pay him to do….Win Games.
He ain’t been winning much recently. Maybe they should stop paying him. :mrgreen:

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

athens78 wrote: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:54 am Like him or not he can coach. However must coaches would be embarrassed by the shirts that are going around. "He's our Howie now" and something about a stomp? If I were coaching I'd want the attention on the kids not me and certainly not have people selling a shirt that promotes the coach! I'm surprised he hasn't ask them to stop selling them!

I was told that this year’s t-shirts say something about the stomp not working and Howard been losing his brakes. :mrgreen:

Scotty Hobart
Riding the Bench

Post by Scotty Hobart »

g w mclintock wrote: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:31 pm I've been a Howie fan for several years.

I wondered why he left Eastern to go to Federal Hocking but was happy when he won a TVC Hocking title @ FH.
I was disappointed when he left FH. I lost some respect when I realized he was chasing the talent and going to Trimble.

Tonight I lost all respect for Coach Caldwell. FH traveled to Trimble without their leading scorer Jon Snyder. I did not attend but I have been listening to 105.5. Trimble led at the end of 3 quarters by 32 points. FH had only scored 26 points in the first 3 quarters. Coach Caldwell started his regular lineup in the 4th quarter and they played as a group until less than 4 minutes remaining, leading by as much as 35.
Why he would do this to these FH young men that he coached the previous two or three years? As a former coach, how can he look these kids in the eye when they shake hands after the game?

This week I've read about classy moves by the Nelsonville and Wellston girl’s coaches, allowing injured opposing players to get recognition on senior night. I remember FH's Coach Butcher doing the same thing for one of Howie's Eastern players (Nathan Cozart) several years ago. I guess Howie forgot about that game or maybe he just doesn't care about respect from the other coaches anymore.

At least there was 1 class act coach in the gym at Trimble tonight.

So long Howie, you lost a longtime fan tonight.
You’re just butt hurt because you know the best football coach Fed ever had is from Trimble. You’ve hated Trimble for years because of that and then when Howie went there that was your breaking point.

Return to “Boys Basketball”