WAVERLY

waverlyfan2012
Riding the Bench

WAVERLY

Post by waverlyfan2012 »

NOW WITH JOE BACK can waverly make a late season run or is next year the year there going to be good again

waverlyfan2012
Riding the Bench

Re: WAVERLY

Post by waverlyfan2012 »

i think that freshman adain will be a very good ball player for us

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Having watched the Waverly freshmen and JV vs. Portsmouth, I can say that the Tigers should have a good varsity team next year. The two schools had some competitive games at that level, and in fact the Tiger JV split this year with the Trojans JV who is 14-5 on the season. The PHS freshmen swept the Tigers, but there is some talent on that Waverly frosh team.

I would be very surprised is Waverly is not well above .500 in 2015-2016, and could challenge for the SOC II title. I think the strength of the Tigers next year will be their guard play......their freshmen and especially their JV has some very nice guards who have an all around game.

waverlyfan2012
Riding the Bench

Post by waverlyfan2012 »

what u think bout that freshman ethin adain kid
what u think thare starting five will be next year

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Trojandave, I think that Waverly will be very very good for the next few years. They have a couple of more really good guards in 8th grade and another one in 7th. There is talent everywhere. The biggest problem is how to play it all. I think Travis will be happy with that problem.

PullingGard
Waterboy

Post by PullingGard »

Ok, I love the confidence uk and I hope your right, but Waverly scoring 29 points against Northwest in regulation makes me question if we are going to be very,very good anytime soon. I am not seeing a true scorer on the the floor. Our best scorer has again been a transfer. I've seen very good jr high teams before and don't always translate to a lot of wins at the varsity level. Oak Hill plays 3 freshman and are 13-6. Unioto plays a freshman quite a bit and are 19-0. Eastern, Western, Minford, Peebles all play young freshman or sophomores in there rotations and are fairing quite well. Waverly has several juniors and a senior playing alot. Waverly is not young anymore, time to start winning. I am seeing young talent everywhere now playing varsity. The only problem is, their scoring for other teams. Hope your right.

waverlyfan2012
Riding the Bench

Post by waverlyfan2012 »

guest we need to get a coach that will play them young guys

waverlyfan2012
Riding the Bench

Post by waverlyfan2012 »

that freshman eithen adain is going to be good

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Really feel like some of the boys coming up are focused totally on basketball. There are a couple of shooters coming. I understand junior high doesn't always translate to high school. We will see. I for one choose to be excited about the future.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

waverlyfan2012 wrote:that freshman eithen adain is going to be good
You'll be good if you get in the gym..... :lol: :lol:

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

It all depends on what our three-point make percentage is next year, b/c Lord knows that's all we do. We must be shooting about 10-15% from 3-point range this year, but I'll guarantee that doesn't stop us from chucking 30 per game.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Not being able to make FT's and two footers may be the reason for chucking so many 3's - just saying. Tigers haven't been able to make any shots. I'd like to see the shooting percent in the game against Lynchburg which Tigers won scoring 67 points vs other games they lost only scoring in the 30's and 40's. Shooting percentage and turnovers, guarantee you that has made the difference. Limit the turnovers and shoot better and they win a lot more games.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Are home games still played at the downtown gym?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Yes they are. Some nice renovations took place with more this summer/fall.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

smurray wrote:Yes they are. Some nice renovations took place with more this summer/fall.
Wow, I thought it was a very nice gym before.

Thanks.

PullingGard
Waterboy

Post by PullingGard »

At the beginning of the season I was worried about Waverly's ability to score points. This has been a common theme since Travis has been at Waverly. Could someone tell me what they think the reason is? Is it the offense? Number of shots taken in practice? Confidence in their shot? I've watched more 30-40 point games in the last few years than I watched in the past 40 years combined. Bring back the ability to score points and the wins will come. And you can't just rely on the 3 ball either. I did hear we scored 60 tonight against the Burg.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Last night was very frustrating as has been several this year. Games within reach knowing they should win and have the talent/ability to win but just don't make the shots, a silly turnover, a senseless foul, whatever.
Tigers lead the whole way last night but couldn't finish it. They were up one at 51-50 with .50 seconds to play running clock with no reason to try to score playing for Burg to start fouling and turn the ball over. Coach can't make the passes for them. Coach can't make the shots for them. Coach can't make FOUL SHOTS for them, something kids should be hitting at least 7 or 8 out of 10, no excuses. Another thing they have struggled with is not getting back on defense and giving up easy layups. It has happened time and time and time again. Tigers score 68 against a very good Lynchburg Clay and win, 63 against undefeated Unioto but gave up 93, and 60 last night but gave up 63. Many of the 93 and 63 were too easy. Of course Burg MADE 20 foul shots in the 3rd and 4th periods last night after not even attempting one in the first half (not much to say about that).
I don't know why these kids haven't been able to pull it together to win more than they have. It's heartbreaking for them cause you know they're working hard and want to win.

waverlyfan2012
Riding the Bench

Post by waverlyfan2012 »

wow i cant beilive they made it to the covo this year lets go tigers

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigers have been capable all year. They finally put a couple games together and are now making a trip to the Convo. Beating the #2 seed Alexander Spartans was no fluke. Waverly can play with a lot of teams when they're making shots and taking care of the ball. They had Wheelersburg beat at home but gave it away so hopefully round 3 is the one they put it together and advance to the District title game. Hoping Dakota Garrett is hot and able to pump in at least 14 to notch his name on the 1,000 career point list.

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

Typical Alexander, aren't they something like 1-15 at the Convo when they do make it. They're product of a weak conference IMO, and the numbers don't lie! Good Luck Waverly, the SOC II really prepped them for the post-season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”