Off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone

Burg - Spradlin

Waverly - Henderson twins

Northwest - Scarberry

Valley - Rolfe, Brown

Minford - Rowe, Kelly, Gullion

South Webster - Zimmerman

West - Davis

Overall, I think Rolfe, Rowe, Davis and Scarberry will be the top individual players in the league.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: TOP PLAYERS IN S.O.C. 1 & 2

Post by bbjunky81 »

SOC 1:

Thacker - Eastern Pike
Akia Brown - East
Gerald - East
Turner - Notre Dame

SOC 2:

Rowe - Minford
Gullion - Minford
Spradlin - Wheelersburg
Rolfe - Valley
Scarberry - Northwest
Davis - West

I'm sure I'm forgetting several, but those are the first few that come to mind.

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

How do you define who is a "TOP" player? No offense, but what qualifications do the voters need to have? Should we consider only the points they score as do most voters or should we consider their total ability or value to their team? And how do you define this? Are they a top player if they score 20 PPG with rarely an assist and poor effort on defense? Only my opinion but these type posts simply serve to promote more selfishness in sports rather than defining what truly makes a good player?? Just food for thought.

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

oldschool wrote:How do you define who is a "TOP" player? No offense, but what qualifications do the voters need to have? Should we consider only the points they score as do most voters or should we consider their total ability or value to their team? And how do you define this? Are they a top player if they score 20 PPG with rarely an assist and poor effort on defense? Only my opinion but these type posts simply serve to promote more selfishness in sports rather than defining what truly makes a good player?? Just food for thought.
Just a question lol calm down, what if someone was curious of what team & players to go watch? I love our area sports and hope all do well, just not familiar with every kid. Did you not play much or does your child sit the bench or something ? Just curious !!! Not here to cause issues on teams just to go support local talent. I hope that's ok, I see post about who's best in OVC, Who will win P.O.Y etc so I hope you go storm down on those post as well!!!!! You tell me what questions I can ask next time.

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

oldschool wrote:How do you define who is a "TOP" player? No offense, but what qualifications do the voters need to have? Should we consider only the points they score as do most voters or should we consider their total ability or value to their team? And how do you define this? Are they a top player if they score 20 PPG with rarely an assist and poor effort on defense? Only my opinion but these type posts simply serve to promote more selfishness in sports rather than defining what truly makes a good player?? Just food for thought.
And you would consider everything you mentioned to Consider the top players, as they do at any level ! Points,reb,asst. Etc...those equal out to their VALUE

eagle country
Freshman Team

Post by eagle country »

Trace Creech from Eastern
Ethan Leist from Eastern
Leist only a sophomore but is very talented
Creech is out to start season with back injury should return around 1st of year he is small but fast and can jump out of gym but he can play with big boys under the bucket

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

eagle country wrote:Trace Creech from Eastern
Ethan Leist from Eastern
Leist only a sophomore but is very talented
Creech is out to start season with back injury should return around 1st of year he is small but fast and can jump out of gym but he can play with big boys under the bucket
Is Creech #54, Didnt he play in Previews?

eagle country
Freshman Team

Post by eagle country »

Trace Creech is #3 his twin brother is Austin he is #44

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

Won't spout my credentials and I'm sure you're right, just a little sensitive but again that's why I chose "oldschool" because apparently I'm getting old!! Wasn't intending to attack you for the post just tired of seeing the selfish play on the hardcourt. But I can assure I've played at a pretty high level back in the glory days. Just love to see those TEAMS who play as a team. Consistently see some very good players (and all the players mentioned in this post can play....I've seen about every one of them). But not every player mentioned plays both ends of the floor, gives the extra pass, etc. Don't really blame the kid, I blame the program that allows it. Sorry for being a downer; wasn't exactly my intent!!! I sometimes think the game has passed me by but in reality good fundamental team basketball will always beat the alternative. From reading posts over the years, many times you don't always see the unselfish teams have an individual listed in these posts..... Norm Person's teams or Tom Barrick's teams, or Matt Mader's teams and all have had very good individual players but they are not as noticeable as those who are given free reign on the court. Guess I'm just being nostalgic and wishing for more of that type of play which I don't see near as often anymore. Sorry Buckeyes911 if I offended you! Again, wasn't exactly my intent. And PS. I don't see alot of the other conferences games

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

And again as I stated only my opinion which is based on many years playing and coaching the game; some people have listed some kids from Eastern and many years ago Eastern had an outstanding team with King, Nance, Howard, I believe Leist, and others. Although he's probably one of the all-time leading scorers at Eastern anyway, Darren King sacrificed alot of his individual statistics for the good of that team as did others on the squad. They were certainly fun to watch! And the coaches I mentioned seem to have always encouraged the system over individuality and that is why they are very successful year in and year out. Again, more wishful thinking than anything; sorry if you felt I attacked you; nothing personal!!

Grandma
Waterboy

Post by Grandma »

SOC II
Minford - Rowe and Guillion
Waverly - Henderson
Oak Hill - Cox and Harrison
Northwest - Scarberry
Valley - Rolfe and Brown
West - Davis and Irwin

I look for minford to be the team to beat but i think valley and west will be battling for the next spot.
At previews for west, Davis had a rough night but irwin seemed to pick up the slack shooting.
Far as minford goes gullion is a very skilled player. He could carry them deep into state playoffs.

Grandma
Waterboy

Post by Grandma »

Thacker is a great talent for Eastern also. Very athletic

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

I will say this.I have to agree with old school, norm has good shooters as he has Iin the past. They rely on rotating the ball and being unselfish waiting for a good shot and tough defense. Ultimatly though when the games on the line at the end, they will get it to the best shooter. Some teams play to the strength of there best players and gives greater oppurtunities to put a lot of points up.

ironman
Waterboy

Post by ironman »

Agree with old school. Points scored should not be the sole determining factor. See too many players who are concerned with "getting theirs " and compound things by giving little effort on defense Another thing to consider with high school kids is who worked in the off season to get better. Kids who were on the fringe last year just may surprise some people due to the amount of work they put in during the summer. Bigger. Stronger. Quicker. Better. I have watched a few scrimmages so far and some kids just look "different". That being said here's my list:
Valley. Rolfe
Minford. Guillion. Kelly. Rowe
Northwest. Scarberry
Wheelersburg. Spradlin
West. Davis
Eastern. Thacker
Oak Hill Cox and Harrison

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

I think free byrd has a pretty accurate list