Post by sballchck »

Chesapeake Panthers
Coal Grove Hornets
Fairland Dragons
Ironton Fightng Tigers
Portsmouth Trojans
Rock Hill Redmen
South Point Pointers

This will be the first season for the newly revamped Ohio Valley Conference. This should be fun, don't you think?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: THE OVC 2014-2015

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Should be a pretty good Basketball League.

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

I think anyone who follows basketball in Southeastern Ohio is excited for this season.
6 teams were at the Convo last year.
4 teams have visited the Regional tourney in the last 5 years.

I would not be surprised if a) the champion has 2-3 in conference losses, or b) the championship is split by 3 or 4 teams.

OUBobcat010
Waterboy

Post by OUBobcat010 »

Sorry, but as tough and even as this league is...it is only that even from spots 2 and down! Portsmouth should not and will not lose a conference game this year and they will contend for the region!

biscut
Riding the Bench

Post by biscut »

I agree with Portsmouth being the best in the region. BUT, they Can be beaten and will be tested in the OVC and can lose to at least 3-4 of the other teams if they don't bring their A game.

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

I don't see four teams beating the Trojans....even if they don't bring their A game. I see the OVC being down this year compared to the last couple.

biscut
Riding the Bench

Post by biscut »

Nah, I didn't mean that to come out as 3-4 teams. I meant there are 3 or 4 teams in the league that can possibly beat them, if they don't bring their A game.

sballchck
Freshman Team

Post by sballchck »

Agreed. What will be cool to watch is how each team performs in new venues.

Regardless of the team and the talent, whenever you play an OVC team on their home court, it is much more difficult.

How will Portsmouth and Ironton perform in gyms they are unfamiliar with? How will South Point, Coal Grove, Fairland, Chesapeake, and Rock Hill perform in Ironton and Portsmouth?

I don't know. Maybe Portsmouth has enough talent to overcome the hostile environments and best efforts from each of these teams to run the table.

What I do know: whoever comes out of the OVC with the conference title, will be a contender at the CONVO for sure.

biscut
Riding the Bench

Post by biscut »

Also Agree. Portsmouth will have the superior returning team this year. It's going to be a fun season to watch how it plays out in the league. Plus, I was told that Ironton has pulled in a few players from other schools again. ; )
After last year, that may have been a smart move by them.

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

Henry Jones, Jr. wrote: How will Portsmouth and Ironton perform in gyms they are unfamiliar with? How will South Point, Coal Grove, Fairland, Chesapeake, and Rock Hill perform in Ironton and Portsmouth?
Ironton has been to several of these gyms, and many OVC teams are familiar with the Conley Center. The only thing that really changes is conference implications are now at play.

unclebob
JV Team

Post by unclebob »

Buckeye9 wrote:Also Agree. Portsmouth will have the superior returning team this year. It's going to be a fun season to watch how it plays out in the league. Plus, I was told that Ironton has pulled in a few players from other schools again. ; )

LOL Imagine that!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Just read in the Logan paper that Gallia Academy will be voting at there upcoming BOE meeting to jump to the OVC ????? … saddens me to read that ...

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Buckeye9 wrote:Also Agree. Portsmouth will have the superior returning team this year. It's going to be a fun season to watch how it plays out in the league. Plus, I was told that Ironton has pulled in a few players from other schools again. ; )
A few???? Please fill us in on all these new players that you heard about.

I know of one that transferred from Symmes Valley to Ironton. :)

biscut
Riding the Bench

Post by biscut »

Heard one from Huntington, one from Raceland, the kid from SV and the Johnson kid from SP.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Buckeye9 wrote:Heard one from Huntington, one from Raceland, the kid from SV and the Johnson kid from SP.
The only one I know for sure is the kid from Symmes Valley. I haven't heard of anyone from Huntington or Raceland coming to Ironton. Huntington and Raceland should be pretty good in their own right, don't know why they would come to Ironton who had a bad year last year, especially if they were starters at those schools.

youthsportsfan
JV Team

Post by youthsportsfan »

ohbuckeye2 wrote:
Buckeye9 wrote:Heard one from Huntington, one from Raceland, the kid from SV and the Johnson kid from SP.
The only one I know for sure is the kid from Symmes Valley. I haven't heard of anyone from Huntington or Raceland coming to Ironton. Huntington and Raceland should be pretty good in their own right, don't know why they would come to Ironton who had a bad year last year, especially if they were starters at those schools.
With state of the art facilities , locker rooms and one of the best coaches in ohio there's all kinds of reasons to come to ironton. Kids will get developed and have access to training skill building they won't get elsewhere. And with state titles in football and state finals and final 4 in bball. It's hard to keep great athlete away. And the academics are top level as well.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

youthsportsfan wrote:
ohbuckeye2 wrote:
With state of the art facilities , locker rooms and one of the best coaches in ohio there's all kinds of reasons to come to ironton. Kids will get developed and have access to training skill building they won't get elsewhere. And with state titles in football and state finals and final 4 in bball. It's hard to keep great athlete away. And the academics are top level as well.
I guess your right :) , but I still haven't heard of anyone from Huntington or Raceland transferring to Ironton. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

youthsportsfan
JV Team

Post by youthsportsfan »

The only one I know for sure is the kid from Symmes Valley. I haven't heard of anyone from Huntington or Raceland coming to Ironton. Huntington and Raceland should be pretty good in their own right, don't know why they would come to Ironton who had a bad year last year, especially if they were starters at those schools.[/quote]

With state of the art facilities , locker rooms and one of the best coaches in ohio there's all kinds of reasons to come to ironton. Kids will get developed and have access to training skill building they won't get elsewhere. And with state titles in football and state finals and final 4 in bball. It's hard to keep great athlete away. And the academics are top level as well.[/quote]

I guess your right :) , but I still haven't heard of anyone from Huntington or Raceland transferring to Ironton. I guess we'll find out soon enough.[/quote]

Well. I'm by know means a know it all on transfers but SV yes SP yes others Huntington and Raceland not sure Raceland maybe Huntington not heard anything on it.

I'm not sure of anything other than this ... People talk people have issues. But you take a coach that's been doing open gym for 20-30 days doing 4 on 4 training every day. Developing kids. Is your coach doing that. ? Prob not That's the real reason why people flock to the program Some will say it's other reasons but some parents get it. How many coaches have nothing to do ? Searching for kids to come in and develope. ? Some. Teach some R principal some are AD. But which coach can give your son or daughter the most attention ? 3-5 wks extra time over 4 yrs is a lot of time. Some understand it some don't. Find the programs that will give ur kids the most back. Is that not a reason that parents should move kids ? Would you personally leave a child with teacher that has not developed 1 ACT 30+ student? Prob not. As parents isn't our job to give our kids the best opportunity ,? Food for thought

so.stormmom
Freshman Team

Post by so.stormmom »

Someone needs to report this fair land is in trouble and Ironton been doing it for years :lol:

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If I understand this correctly, Portsmouth could potentially be both the OVC and SEOAL Champions this season? Is that right? Is Portsmouth in both leagues this year for all sports except football, or is basketball the only sport being played in both leagues this year?

Return to “Boys Basketball”