Athens basketball 2014/2015

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Athens basketball 2014/2015

Post by 93Bulldog »

Although Ibi Watson is transferring - Athens will still field a pretty darn good team. It is not a for gone conclusion that Joe Burrow will graduate early and head to Ohio State. I was told he was playing in all of the Bulldogs summer shoot-outs, so if that is the case, then I can definitely see him staying.

Will Athens be the same without Ibi? No.
But will they still be a good basketball team? I think so.

The post will be a huge strength with 6'5 Ryan Luehrman, 6'5 Adam Luehrman and 6'4 Joe Burrow.
They can run a true point guard system with Griffin Lutz, who will be a soph.
Zacciah Salztmen will be a three year starter even though he's only a junior.
SG Sam VanderVen logged a lot of minutes last year - and a player who will need to step up big time is 6'1 Evan Cooley. If he does, Athens has a very good 7 man rotation and could still be one of the favorites to win the TVC-Ohio and earn a top seed in Logan.

bman
SEO

Re: Athens basketball 2014/2015

Post by bman »

Regardless of the status of Burrow, losing Watson does bring Athens closer to the pack with the likes of Warren, Logan Elm, Vinton County, Sheridan, Marietta, etc. in the Logan sectional.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:Regardless of the status of Burrow, losing Watson does bring Athens closer to the pack with the likes of Warren, Logan Elm, Vinton County, Sheridan, Marietta, etc. in the Logan sectional.
True

And instead of Athens just claiming that No. 1 seed with not much controversy (which I think most will agree could have happened with Ibi on the roster) - we may have all out chaos in the seeding process like last season. Oh joy.

:mrgreen:

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:
bman wrote:Regardless of the status of Burrow, losing Watson does bring Athens closer to the pack with the likes of Warren, Logan Elm, Vinton County, Sheridan, Marietta, etc. in the Logan sectional.
True

And instead of Athens just claiming that No. 1 seed with not much controversy (which I think most will agree could have happened with Ibi on the roster) - we may have all out chaos in the seeding process like last season. Oh joy.

:mrgreen:
As I've said on an earlier thread, Athens was my pick as favorite to win the district title. This loss closes the gap, not only in the Logan sectional, but with some of the top SE sectional teams, such as Circleville, Minford and Unioto, if Athens advances to districts.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

transferring to???

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

blackshooky wrote:transferring to???
I believe Pickerington - but I'm not 100% sure exactly.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Pickerington Central I believe

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Is there a particular reason for the move? As in, someone in the family got a job etc...

I would hate for this to be another example of a young man leaving his school to join AAU buddies.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bbjunky81 wrote:Is there a particular reason for the move? As in, someone in the family got a job etc...

I would hate for this to be another example of a young man leaving his school to join AAU buddies.
Perhaps someone with more knowledge can answer that - I don't want to post misinformation.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I see Burrow ending school early and moving on the Ohio State. Cant think him or Coach Meyer would want a freak injury andI would imagine with Coach Myers giving a full ride will add some pressure to get in as early as possible, but who knows. The thing with Watson he could get his shot anytime he wanted and normally score. I don't see that with the others. I also thought you could see conflict with him and Burrow on who got the ball, Just my opinion. Since they didn't get out of the sectional last year I'm not sure Athens would just claim the #1 seed. Warren and Logan Elm were 1 and 2 and met in the District final and have a bunch of people back. Marietta and Sheridan will be much better next year also.
Last edited by athens78 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

athens78 wrote:I see Burrow ending school early and moving on the Ohio State. Cant think him or Coach Myers would want a freak injury andI would imagine with Coach Myers giving a full ride will add some pressure to get in as early as possible, but who knows. The thing with Watson he could get his shot anytime he wanted and normally score. I don't see that with the others. I also thought you could see conflict with him and Burrow on who got the ball, Just my opinion. Since they didn't get out of the sectional last year I'm not sure Athens would just claim the #1 seed. Warren and Logan Elm were 1 and 2 and met in the District final and have a bunch of people back. Marietta and Sheridan will be much better next year also.
Coach Myers? Wow...... :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Warren and Logan Elm lost a lot, Athens78.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:Warren and Logan Elm lost a lot, Athens78.
VC didn't :)

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The loss of Watson is a big blow to the Bulldogs, but not a knockout. There's still enough on board for the Bulldogs to compete for the D2 district title, but they won't be the prohibitive favorite like they were supposed to be with the anticipated 2014-2015 roster.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Meyer. You can tell I'm not a big Ohio State fan, lol

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Post by SOHSP »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... waPgkhqljM

Anyone else see this interview? At the end Joe says he is going to go into Ohio State early and to get a jump to help compete for the QB job. Kind of hard to be in Columbus and playing for the Bulldogs on the hardwood at the same time.

What does everyone think? Come back for senior year of basketball or head to Columbus? I think if OSU wants you to come in and compete - you gotta go.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

OSU
Last edited by athens78 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I think you go with who gave you a full ride. Since he'll have to compete for position and they don't redshirt him which is very good chance I think I'd be going to Ohio State early too. Plus add to it they will try to recruit someone better then you each year, I'd want to show them I'm all in. After watching it and hearing "I'm coming in early" I'd say not basketball. Honestly after his football season he should be more committed to Ohio State than Athens basketball. However he's a kid and kids change their minds a bunch.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote:Warren and Logan Elm lost a lot, Athens78.
No doubt Warren lost a lot BUT.....
The senior class without the benefit of playing WITH Mike Hall have lost a mere 6 games since the 7th grade and 4 of those were last year. ALL this group knows how to do is win. Warren won't be as big but defensively they'll be much better than pervious teams. Scrappy. Gritty, Tough and Talented are all words that describe this group. Add Big Mike Hall to that mix and they look a lot like 2014 Logan Elm. Losing French no doubt is major. He is a Once In A Lifetime Player. Reece Patton another fantastic player will hurt as well but when you start factoring in the experice that will be on the roster look for the Warriors to be where they have been the last 5 years, in the hunt for the District Championship.

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

It's the right decision for Burrow, and best of luck to him on that.

Return to “Boys Basketball”