SE

Re: Trimble Hires Howie Caldwell as next basketball coach

Post by 91blue14 »

I seen trimble at team camp and they looked impressive

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

93Bulldog wrote:If Coach Caldwell were to end his coaching career at Trimble, he would have coached at 4 schools total?

Considering how many years he's been at it, 4 different schools doesn't seem like that big of deal - and hardly a coaching nomad.
When you look at it over the length of his career, that could be argued. However, three schools in the last four years?!?!?! I think that Howie may have traded in his car for a camel......... :-D

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:If Coach Caldwell were to end his coaching career at Trimble, he would have coached at 4 schools total?

Considering how many years he's been at it, 4 different schools doesn't seem like that big of deal - and hardly a coaching nomad.
I agree with what you're saying but the fact that all are from the same division in the same conference isnt something you see a lot of.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

It's simple. Chase talent = win quickly with no rebuild years.
His resume allows him to do that. Right or wrong???? depends who you ask

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I didn't see a lot of talent at Fed Hock when he took over. Not only that, Fed Hock is a tough coaching position. You compete in a DIV league, then have to play in the DIII tournament. I don't know the reasons why he chose Fed Hock, but once he got there, he probably realized it wasn't a good opportunity. Not because of talent, or lack of talent - but something else. Something I can not put my finger on or describe. All I know is, at the start of this season the Lancers will be on their 3rd new coach in 3 years IN ALL THREE MAJOR BOYS SPORTS. That is crazy.

Football: Doug Miller, Phil Hoffman, Craig Moore takes over in 2014.
Basketball: Murray, Caldwell, new coach in 2014.
Baseball: Brunty, Hoffman, new coach in 2014.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

And as GWA alluded to, you chase talent, you win. Apparently, Howie didn't do his homework before he took the job at Fed with a somewhat bare cupboard and a DIII tournament facing him, thus the comments that I have made on this thread. You pull up stakes and head to the next school (D IV at that) that you perceive has talent is no different than a group of Nomads pulling up stakes in the desert looking for their next oasis.

I think, and hope, that people get my point. May not like my analogy, but that is OK.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Steely Dan wrote:Howie didn't do his homework before he took the job at Fed with a somewhat bare cupboard and a DIII tournament facing him.
I'm sure he knew exactly what he was getting into tournament wise.
And the cupboard wasn't somewhat bare, the JV team with Alfonso Cobb at PG was really good when Howie took over. They were the only team to hand the Trimble JV team (led my Justice Jenkins) a loss. The 'Cats were 21-1 that year.

I whole heartedly believe Howie left Fed Hock strictly because of administration issues - and not because of talent, lack of talent or tournament set up.

I remember having a conversation with coach Caldwell at a Nelsonville-York basketball game right when he took over at Fed. He was scouting the Bucks since they were his first game. I flat out asked him (off the record, no recorder, no radio mic) why he left Eastern and why he wanted to coach at Fed Hock. It's been a few years, but this is what I remember him saying ... "I wanted the challenge of taking over a new program. I like starting from scratch and teaching the kids my system." ... Of course he went on to elaborate more on that simple notion. But at no time did he mention lack of talent at Eastern as a reason for leaving, especially when he himself already experienced some bad Eagles teams. in 2008/2009 they finished 2nd to last in the Hocking division. And when does the talent ever run out at Southern? the Tornadoes have been a quality basketball program since the early 1980's. He could have stayed there and enjoyed more 'up years' than 'down years'.

Last but not least - taking over the Trimble basketball program is a HUGE challenge ... Which is exactly the word Howie used when talking about taking over at Fed ... "challenge". Trimble is a 'football' school, there is no denying that. With the new divisional format the Tomcats will almost certainly be in the playoffs every year - and will probably win a game or two as well. Coaching Trimble basketball is on par with what coach Kline has had to endure over the years at Nelsonville-York, it's tough.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Administration reasons is probably correct. Everyone knows that Woods the old principal and now super. doesn't care about sports. Never hired a long term AD which was turned over every other year which may be the reason for all the coaching changes. However Pat Tabler is back at the helm of AD and he will get things back to where it was. He previously held the job for 12 very successful years. His first job is to find a boys basketball coach. They still don't have one. Word is Joe Butcher has been working with the team through the summer and is the front runner for the job.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Did Howie win the TVC hocking while at Fed Hock ?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

G.W.A. wrote:Did Howie win the TVC hocking while at Fed Hock ?
Yes. The Lancers were TVC-Hocking champs last year 2012/2013.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

93Bulldog wrote:
G.W.A. wrote:Did Howie win the TVC hocking while at Fed Hock ?
Yes. The Lancers were TVC-Hocking champs last year 2012/2013.
My point exactly and the talent now at F.H. is subpar.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The talent at Fed in 2012/2013 - and talent in the TVC-Hocking in general in 2012/2013 was subpar!

I was shocked and surprised when Fed won the Hocking. Who did they have? Max Carney was a pretty good player I guess, but he was actually hurt the 2nd half of the season which is why Fed lost to Meigs in the sectionals.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:The talent at Fed in 2012/2013 ... and talent in the TVC-Hocking in general in 2012/2013 was subpar!

I was shocked and surprised when Fed won the Hocking. Who did they have? Max Carney was a pretty good player I guess, but he was actually hurt the 2nd half of the season which is why Fed lost to Meigs in the sectionals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that Meigs team only have two wins that season before knocking off Fed Hock? I think the TVC Hocking and Ohio, for that matter, as a whole will be improved this coming season. I don't really have a dog in the fight. I think with Howies resume, any team in the Hocking (even outside the Hocking) that is looking for a coach, would be silly not to answer a call from Caldwell if he was interested.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

No, the Meigs team that beat Fed had Kalieb Sheets and some other descent players. They were actually a pretty good team and played Oak Hill tough at the Convo.

The year before was the 2 win Meigs team that won a sectional game.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

That's why I like you Bulldog. Your memory is excellent for an old feller.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

The Legend is in G-Town.

ChuckHayes44
Waterboy

Post by ChuckHayes44 »

Does Howie teach at Trimble or does he still have his job at Eastern?

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Howie has been retired from teaching for a couple of years.

fairlandboi'06
Riding the Bench

Post by fairlandboi'06 »

Word on the streets has Coach Moore more than likely getting his job back!

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I'm not sure what will happen.
Last edited by fortdawg on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”