Ironton st joe

G.W.A.
All Conference

Ironton st joe

Post by G.W.A. »

Why doesnt this school load up the best basketball players and dominate like other catholic schools do all over the state. I know its not right but when in rome do as the romans.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Ironton st joe

Post by 4thgoal »

There are many reasons, but here are a couple of the reason why I believe this doesn't happen with schools like St. Joe and Notre Dame.
1. There isn't nearly the talent pool to pull from as in major cities. Not that we don't have a lot of talented kids, but there just aren't as many as Columbus or Cincinnati.
2. The private schools in our area do not put the same emphasis on athletics as some private schools in larger cities, partially because of the lack of financial resources. I think they make the best with what they have, but St.Joe and Notre Dame do not have nearly as new or modern schools or athletic facilities as the public schools in Scioto or Lawrance Co.
3. School loyalty DOES exist in our part of the state. For the most part, kids want to go through high school playing ball with the friends they have had since grade school.
4. I know there are ways around it, but our part of the state suffers very high umployment and parents just don't have the money to send their kids to a private school.

With that being said, if either of these schools ever were able to start drawing in some of the best players from their respecive county, they could be a real force in D4. Can you imagine a Notre Dame roster with names like Cook, McCray, Dunn, Flowers, Oliver, Allison, E.Miller, D.Miller (not trying to leave anyone out, just a few names that popped into my head) along with the solid players they already had?

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

4th n Goal wrote:There are many reasons, but here are a couple of the reason why I believe this doesn't happen with schools like St. Joe and Notre Dame.
1. There isn't nearly the talent pool to pull from as in major cities. Not that we don't have a lot of talented kids, but there just aren't as many as Columbus or Cincinnati.
2. The private schools in our area do not put the same emphasis on athletics as some private schools in larger cities, partially because of the lack of financial resources. I think they make the best with what they have, but St.Joe and Notre Dame do not have nearly as new or modern schools or athletic facilities as the public schools in Scioto or Lawrance Co.
3. School loyalty DOES exist in our part of the state. For the most part, kids want to go through high school playing ball with the friends they have had since grade school.
4. I know there are ways around it, but our part of the state suffers very high umployment and parents just don't have the money to send their kids to a private school.

With that being said, if either of these schools ever were able to start drawing in some of the best players from their respecive county, they could be a real force in D4. Can you imagine a Notre Dame roster with names like Cook, McCray, Dunn, Flowers, Oliver, Allison, E.Miller, D.Miller (not trying to leave anyone out, just a few names that popped into my head) along with the solid players they already had?

I agree, I also think that if the right coach ever got into one of these schools it could happen and the money would appear out of thin air like it does in the city private schools when a athlete is stellar.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

G.W.A. wrote:I agree, I also think that if the right coach ever got into one of these schools it could happen and the money would appear out of thin air like it does in the city private schools when a athlete is stellar.
I think you may be right. Can you imagine if Notre Dame hired someone like Coach Collins, Barrick, or Persin? I would venture to bet that basketball players would be lining up to register at ND.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

4th n Goal wrote:There are many reasons, but here are a couple of the reason why I believe this doesn't happen with schools like St. Joe and Notre Dame.

very true post 4th.

Malcontent
Freshman Team

Post by Malcontent »

Just some things I learned about this little Catholic school on the river. They graduated 18 Seniors last year. These 18 seniors generated 2.3 million dollars in scholarships. Just for an example..Miami of Oho only accepts around 10% of the young people who apply to their university and St Joe had 6 students accepted to Miami, 5 of whom are attending. Miami was so impressed they sent a rep to speak at their graduation, handing out scholarships to all 6 that were accepted. I was told 15 of the 18 students scored 27 or better on their ACT. Can you imagine that. I know you have to pay to attend this school but that sure is a good return on your investment. Not many make it big in athletics but academics sure does pay in the long run. I was also told that over 80% of the St Joe grads attend college.

As far as basketball, St Joe did rather well this year and will return just about everyone. Hiring a Coach Persin would not be in their means. There may be ways to get athletes to come to a school like St Joe but I don't think it would be the right way to go about doing things.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Appreciate the post Malcontent as my Son is one of the five attending Miami. The word is getting out about academics at ISJ, we have a number of kids transfer in, most of those non- Catholic. The small Teacher to pupil ratio really helps.

As far as basketball goes the Flyers had a nice season and do return most starters with the exception of Joseph Payton who in my mind was the heart and soul of ISJ basketball.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:As far as basketball goes the Flyers had a nice season and do return most starters with the exception of Joseph Payton who in my mind was the heart and soul of ISJ basketball.
He was the heart of their soccer team as well.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Joseph Payton is your perfect example of 110%. St Joseph will miss this young man and the energy he instilled in this ball team. Coach Williams will be hard pressed to find a replacement for him. Flyer Nation will miss you Joseph! Thank you for all you did!

SV1134
Freshman Team

Post by SV1134 »

Agree 100% with the posts above. Payton is the epitome of a role model off and on the court. Bright future for that young man!

Return to “Boys Basketball”