Wheelersburg vs. Chesapeake 3-2-14

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Wheelersburg vs. Chesapeake 3-2-14

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Old tourney rivals meet up in a district semi-final next Sunday.

Any thoughts on this game? Don't know anything about the Peake this year. Looks like they handled Ironton pretty easily and Burg beat a very good Zane Trace team tonight.

No one on the Burg has ever played at the Convo. Tough place to shoot with the big open arena. Burg will have to rely on the defense early and then hope to start hitting some baskets after they get adjusted.

Just remember boys, the rim is still 10 foot high in there.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Wheelersburg vs. Chesapeake 3-2-14

Post by 4thgoal »

D.Miller played at the convo his freshman year. When Burg beat Peebles that year he shut down D1 recruit Blake Justice

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I guess you are right. I forgot about that.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

congrats to burg on a great game tonight,,miller took over in the 4th I thought to put this one away...haven't seen peake this year, but have to like burgs chances

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

With Oak Hill, Zane Trace and Eastern Brown eliminated, this district title is wide open.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

4th n Goal wrote:With Oak Hill, Zane Trace and Eastern Brown eliminated, this district title is wide open.
I agree, 4th. Wheelersburg has had the athletes all year just couldn't seem to get that "win" to get them going. Beating ZT may have done that.

I truly feel the winner of Chesapeake / Wheelersburg will win the district title on that side of the bracket. The unfortunate part for some is --- Valley, Portsmouth, and South Point are arguably the best 3 teams left in SE Ohio D3, and they're all on the other side of the bracket!

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

Folks don't forget about Fairland..They didn't beat Oak Hill because oaks had a bad night..Fairland may just be around to the end..

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

From what I've read on here throughout the year it sounds like Peake and Burg have both struggled to score this year. Could it be first team to 30 wins?

bunt pirate
Freshman Team

Post by bunt pirate »

Two teams similar in style of play. These two coaches know each other very well. Should be a good start to a revived rivalry.

Burg by 20 as student becomes the master

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Pulling for the Pirates! Good lick Burg!

Captain Morgan
Waterboy

Post by Captain Morgan »

The burg is rolling now, we just beat a team ranked in the state! Don't worry bout that 4th place in SOC finish we are winning this district you mark my words.

We have by far the better coach and athletes in this game so I'll go.....

Burg by 25+..

Statement game!!!!

AHS08
Waterboy

Post by AHS08 »

I think burg pulls this one out. Strength of schedule starts to pay off in tournament time. with the strength of the soc and the close games that burg has been in they will be a tough out.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Good luck to Wheelersburg in this one. I did not think Burg could get out of the Waverly Sectional without Eddie Miller, but should have known better as Ater took Webster to Regional Finals last year despite losing one of their best players to grades. Goes to show if you have good athletes that will play defense and rebound, you can compete (and beat) almost anyone. It is setting up nicely for Burg to get to Regionals...now get it done!*

buckeyedan
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyedan »

Anyone that thinks this game will be separated by more than a 10 point margin is crazy.

Neither team reaches 50 in this game so to win by 25, it would be like 46-21. Not happening.

I like Peake's zone to slow down burg's scorers and to score just enough.

1 possession game, Peake 34-31, though I'll be pulling for Wheelersburg.

Old Bulldog
Freshman Team

Post by Old Bulldog »

bunt pirate wrote:Two teams similar in style of play. These two coaches know each other very well. Should be a good start to a revived rivalry.

Burg by 20 as student becomes the master
I don't believe the Pirates have beaten anyone by 20 this year and I don't think they'll start now.
The ugliest Wheelersburg game that I've seen them play at the Convo was in 2010 when they beat Belpre in the district semi's. I don't think either team shot even 25% from the floor.
This one may be similar to that. Baskets could be scarce.
I like the Burg in a tight one.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg has beaten several teams by 20+ this year (SW, Waverly, West, Greenup Co, Northwest), but I don't think this will be the case in this game. Burg has a good chance to advance as long as they continue playing strong defense and rebounding well.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Very low scoring defensive game on both sides..Burg by 5...44-39

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg just needs to continue to play the way they have down the stretch. There record no way tells you just how good this team is. They lost to West the first game of the season, a few weeks after football season and then beat them handily at home.

They gave Valley and Minford all they wanted in all 4 of those losses and IMO should have beat Valley both games, just couldn't finish down the stretch. Now they are doing that.

I like it that Jacob Spradlin is shooting more. Kid can flat out stroke it when he is on. His only downfall is if he misses a couple he quits shooting. Great shooters can't do that. They eventually find there mark again. If he stays hot Burg could win this district.

Seniors Widdig and Dylan Miller have really stepped up there game as well. Dylan flat took over the 4th qtr Saturday and that's what Seniors need to do.

Cam Parsley did his yeoman job on the boards and kept there big man out of the lane.

Should be a good game between two storied programs.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Best of luck Pirates, Minford defeated Chesapeake 58-44 tonight, but the Panthers can play some ball. They have length, aggressive defense and can shoot the 3-ball.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Good Luck Burg

SOC!

Return to “Boys Basketball”