Manchester
New Boston
North Adams
Notre Dame
paint valley
Peebles
Western
Whiteoak
Last edited by Futurebkstar on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lightle04
SE

Re: Div IV Seeding predictions

Post by Lightle04 »

I agree with Meigs sectional but at Valley Peebles is #1 Notre Dame #2 and Paint Valley #6 or #7

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Valley

1. Peebles
2. Notre Dame
3. Fairfield
4. Clay
5. Paint Valley
6. Manchester
7. Western
8. East
9. North Adams
10. Whiteoak
11. New Boston

IMO Paint Valley is a dark horse team in this sectional given their record. They play a very D2/D3 heavy schedule and came away with an 8pt win against Western, which was their only SOC I game. Also, I do not have a complete slate of results for East so my judgement was based purely on head to head matchups with other teams in the few games Maxpreps has listed.

cobbtown
Freshman Team

Post by cobbtown »

TribeManiac10 wrote:Valley

1. Peebles
2. Notre Dame
3. Fairfield
4. Clay
5. Paint Valley
6. Manchester
7. Western
8. East
9. North Adams
10. Whiteoak
11. New Boston

IMO Paint Valley is a dark horse team in this sectional given their record. They play a very D2/D3 heavy schedule and came away with an 8pt win against Western, which was their only SOC I game. Also, I do not have a complete slate of results for East so my judgement was based purely on head to head matchups with other teams in the few games Maxpreps has listed.
Tribe. Do you realize that Valley #1 & # 3 will meet in the District Final?

Why in the world would you want the 2 best SHAC teams to face each other.

The SOC guys have had this figured out for a long time.

white thunder
Riding the Bench

Post by white thunder »

It all comes down to correctly seeding the two teams who have the best chance of advancing past the districts. In that case the No. 1 and 2 seeds should be Fairfield and Peebles. We should send the two teams who have the best chance of representing our sectional and our area not just making an appearance. Fairfield's strength of schedule has prepared them for advancing. Notre Dame's fluff schedule only gets them to Athens and an early loss. Fairfield has beat Peebles by 15, Paint Valley by 21, and Clay by 11. Plus they are the only undefeated team in SHAC play. Some of their losses occured in a three week stretch when they had two starters out. If the coaches seed Peebles 1 and Fairfield 3, they will have to face each other in the district finals assuming they win out to that point. It would be a shame to pit two excellent teams and our two best chances against each other.

Jayhawks
Freshman Team

Post by Jayhawks »

White Thunder, I agree with u 100%. Peebles and Fairfield should be the 1 and 2 seed.i would like to mention when Peebles played Fairfield Peebles was down 2 key players plus Fairfield shot around 65% from the floor! That probably won't happen again! I am not taking anything away from Fairfield is a very solid team and it would be a shame if they had to meet in the district finals!

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

cobbtown wrote:
TribeManiac10 wrote:Valley

1. Peebles
2. Notre Dame
3. Fairfield
4. Clay
5. Paint Valley
6. Manchester
7. Western
8. East
9. North Adams
10. Whiteoak
11. New Boston

Tribe. Do you realize that Valley #1 & # 3 will meet in the District Final?

Why in the world would you want the 2 best SHAC teams to face each other.

The SOC guys have had this figured out for a long time.
This is not my preference for seeding, this is where I see everyone falling in a completely unbiased system. Obviously the SHAC schools should collude in some manner to prevent this from happening but this is how everyone should be placed based primarily on record and, to a lesser extent, head to head matchups.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

cobbtown, the SHAC coaches have not been innocent in the past about sticking it to their fellow SHAC coaches. Manchester and Fairfield have both certainly played "the game" in recent years past. They, like the other coaches are doing only what the system allows. All the teams want the best possible shot at advancing. White Thunder you are naive if you think the coaches are not going to act in their own self interest. Both leagues have been involved in this for years.

White Thunder, Notre Dame's schedule has not been fluff. Obviously, games are scheduled in advance and you can't always predict when good programs are going to be down or when lesser programs are going to have a good squad. This is a very common dilemma especially for many of the DIV schools. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Notre Dame go into SHAC country and beat Whiteoak (or was it North Adams)? Either way, I know both are down, but both are traditionally very good. Is that Notre Dame's fault? They also went on the road and won at Ironton (they are down as well), but not ND's fault. They have also beaten South Point (who beat Portsmouth) on the road. They played to within 11 points of a very good DIII Minford team as well. Hardly a fluff schedule for such a small DIV school.

I commend Fairfield for the tough schedule they play. The years they win a lot of those games then they deserve a good seed. The years when they go into the draw with only 4, 5,6, etc. wins I don't know that they do. I think that applies to any school who "schedules up" and plays bigger or better schools. You have to win some of them. Any team can play a tough schedule and lose the majority of the games. I have always felt the solution was for the SOC schools and the SHAC schools in this sectional to play each other more often in the regular season. That seems to be happening a little more the last few seasons than years past.

I think it will play out something like this:

1-3
will be Peebles, Notre Dame and Fairfield in some order. They can all make a case. I think Peebles has the edge, but that Fairfield head-to-head should be a big factor regardless of wins.

4-6
will be Paint Valley, East and Clay in some order. Again all can make a case. Paint Valley has played a tough schedule, but has been very up and down. They will likely enter with a worse record by as many as 3-4 games compared to the other two. East and Clay play the night before the draw and that certainly should be the deciding factor.

7-9
will be Manchester, Western, and North Adams in some order.

10-11
will be Whiteoak and New Boston.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Flip East and Western and I think your dead on.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

Based on what lightle04?

East won the most recent matchup between the two.
East also has the better record. I believe they are currently at 8-7. What is Western, 6-10?
I also believe East has the more impressive victories. They have beaten Notre Dame at ND, Ironton St. Joe at Ironton, and South Webster at SW.
What are Western's best wins?
If East wins Saturday at Clay it's not even debatable, I'm not sure it is even if they don't.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Notre Dame did go into Whiteoak and win 48-31

Whiteoak lost 3 star players and virtually everyone but 1 rotation player.

They are 1-14 and 5 times have scored 27 points or fewer. They just played Fairfield and were down 46-14 at half and lost by 40. I think the world of those kids but they are struggling.

The draw will be very very interesting because the SOC has always had the advantage of league affiliation and at times joined in an SHAC coach....now each league has 5 and then their is Paint Valley who has been alone every year.

Fairfield's schedule is quite a bit stronger than ND.....and Peebles and FF likely don't want to face each other if it's avoidable.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Your right East has been on fire. I wasn't aware that was there current record so I'm wrong East is seeded right.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

If Western can win one of the two Eastern games and Clay beats East then East and Western should be flipped. Western already beat Clay. Head to head it was a draw with both winning on their home floor. Some lobbying going on here. A few defensive plays away from being 500 or better this year. Easts win at ND was impressive though. Would have liked to see East try and get a few of their makeups scheduled b4 the draw instead of waiting til after. Gamesmanship? Gonna be an interesting draw indeed.

cobbtown
Freshman Team

Post by cobbtown »

The SOC coaches have controlled this process the last couple years.

Your right socsportsfan1 everybody is going to look out for the best interests of their team/conference.

To prove your point lets look at some recent History.

2011 Athens DIV final four. South Webster, Fairfield, Manchester, White Oak.

Oops that can't happen again, I've got an idea lets control the seeding.

2012 first round games. Fairfield vs Manchester and South Webster vs White Oak.

2013. First round games. Fairfield vs White Oak and guess who? That's right. South Webster vs Manchester.

2014 seeding ?? 5-SHAC teams voting this time ??

The first 3 teams are pretty clear at this point. Fairfield and Peebles have the best argument for 1 & 2, but who knows what will happen, at least this year the SHAC has a voice.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

I think its fairly obvious that Peebles and Fairfield will be the 1/2 seeds. If ND hadnt lost vs Clay then I think they take the two. And fellas u know as well as I do that conferences with the majority vote go the way of the conference at every draw. Its not just this one. I hope they get it right this year.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

cobbtown, A few of those matchups between the schools were the 4-5 game. I still don't see how you can reward a "battle tested" team with a top 3 seed when they're hovering around .500 and that has happened to Fairfield a few times. As I said earlier, Fairfield under a previos coach played the game and got his team a spot or two different than they deserved. Manchester has been "guilty" as well. The solution is for the SHAC and SOC to play more regular season games. This year the SHAC should have no complaints, unfortunately for the league Whiteoak and NA are way down. I believe the last time Peebles and NA both were DIV was 2001.

IndianFan4life, I still wouldn't see the argument for Western over East. They are 6-12 with their best wins being Clay/East (early). East plays at Northwest, at Green, and at Clay this week. They have attempted to make up the games they can before the draw.They could lose all three and still have a better record, better wins, and having won the most recent match with Western. No lobbying, just some empirical data.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Emperical data.... not gonna matter much anyway because they will probably be playing East or Clay anyhow. Just a little banter chill out. Western is better than their record though. Good luck to both.

cobbtown
Freshman Team

Post by cobbtown »

Socsportsfan1. Fairfield is currently 9-5. 6-0 in league play with 3- games scheduled this week against Ripley, North Adams and Fayetteville. If they are lucky enough to win all three. 12-5 is pretty darn good with that schedule. The following week they play 5 games in 6 days which I think is ridiculous but this weather is hurting everyone.

I can't speak to what's happened with past coaches, but like you said before, you do what you've got to do.

I just wanted to point out the obvious effort to keep the SHAC and South Webster from dominating the districts.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

We have 5 SOC teams and 5 SHL teams in the Valley sectional now. The SHL guys need to get a commitee together and recruit Paint Valley to vote and side with them so I can put my mop and bucket away. My back is really hurting from mopping up all the tears.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Should be interesting at Meigs and Valley..id have it

At Meigs
#1 Southern(pretty much locked up)
#2 Symmes Valley (could be anywhere from 2-5 big game with ND)
#3 Eastern Pike(same as SV could be from 2-5 seed)
#4 Waterford
#5 Trimble(they are coming on tough matchup for anyone)
#6 St.Joe(playing well at 10-7)
#7 South Gallia
#8 South Webster(nobody wants to draw the Jeeps)
#9 Miller
#10 Green
#11 Eastern Meigs

I think the only locks are Southern as the 1 and 9-11 shouldn't change but its a guessing game with the rest. Webster could jump a spot or two..if Trimble wins at Southern that catapult them a couple spots.

Return to “Boys Basketball”