Eastern Coach attempts "THE STOMP"

The Little General
Riding the Bench

Eastern Coach attempts "THE STOMP"

Post by The Little General »

Last night I watched the game at Wahomma against eastern. At one point in the game, the refs made a bad call. Howie must have left a brochure on how to stomp in the coaches office before he left because Eastern Coach Jeremy Dill attempted the maneuver to try to intimate the refs.

eagle25
JV Team

Re: Eastern Coach attempts "THE STOMP"

Post by eagle25 »

The Stomp has been deemed ineffective since Eastern got trounced.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

His last name is Hill and he is a very good coach. Anything you get from Coach Caldwell is useful

The Little General
Riding the Bench

Post by The Little General »

My fault. I thought someone from there told me his last name was Dill. Said he had been a really good reciever for racine and now he is the janitor at SHS. Is this not the same guy?

Anyway, while his stomp was rather loud, it didnt seem to intimate the refs at all. Eastorn lost by a big margin.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

He's a teacher at Eastern

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Howies ability to do that as hard as he always has and not hurt himself has always impressed me.

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

Pol Pot wrote:Howies ability to do that as hard as he always has and not hurt himself has always impressed me.
Yes and when Howie does it the refs cower down and he gets most of the calls from then on out. But when a first year coach tries it they laugh and go on about what they are doing.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Coach Hill is a very good young coach at Eastern and has no and I mean no talent on that team. He is a 4th grade teacher at Eastern Elementary School and he played for Howie at Southern. So he gets the stomp honestly. Jordan Hill who was at Southern also used the stomp.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... coaches/teachers to get better you learn from the best/imitate the best - Coach Caldwell is one of the best in my book in SEO ...heck I use the "stomp" myself at home with Mrs. Pfloyd's dogs! - works for me LOL ...

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Coach Caldwell is a great coach.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

Veteran officials like me....we pay no mind to such strategies as the stomp.....we do notice how much a school pays us. Waterford has always been very generous. This explains why they are so hard to beat at their place. Others should consider this. If you need my help. Contact my agent, Scotty Dale, at Southern Local. He can contact me and knows the various levels of service I offer as well as the fees for such services.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

urban buck wrote:Coach Caldwell is a great coach.
While Howie was at Eastern we read this all the time. The nay sayers would post, "well he never wins a TVC championship..." The cronies would counter, "who cares about the TVC he makes deep tourny runs..." as well as, ...well Fed Hock is a bigger school so that's why Howie can't win the TVC but Fed never makes a tourny run like Howie does..." Now Howie is at "the bigger school" so let's see if he wins the TVC there like the coaches did who preceded him, and if he does even better than the former coaches in the tournament. It will be interesting.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Howie already won a TVC-Hocking title last year with Federal Hocking.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

93Bulldog wrote:Howie already won a TVC-Hocking title last year with Federal Hocking.
Yes, which is the same as a few previous coaches had done. How long of a "tourny run" did FH make last year?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Not sure what you're asking for or getting at MOTIVATOR ... Howie has made deep tourney runs with Eastern, won a league title with Fed Hock - and his success as a volleyball coach is remarkable ... I guess you want a league title and long tourney run in the same year to validate his coaching capabilities?

Ask any other coach in southeast or southern Ohio who they think is the best coach in our region - and Howie Caldwell will be on most of their short lists.

That is the only validation I need - opinions of us 'posters' here on preps doesn't carry much weight - and that includes me.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

93Bulldog wrote:Not sure what you're asking for or getting at MOTIVATOR ... Howie has made deep tourney runs with Eastern, won a league title with Fed Hock - and his success as a volleyball coach is remarkable ... I guess you want a league title and long tourney run in the same year to validate his coaching capabilities?

Ask any other coach in southeast or southern Ohio who they think is the best coach in our region - and Howie Caldwell will be on most of their short lists.

That is the only validation I need - opinions of us 'posters' here on preps doesn't carry much weight - and that includes me.
I agree Howie has done some great things. Just like other coaches have done given the same talent. Some screw up the talent, so it is not a given to win with it. But no coach wins without it. So what I am getting at is just what I stated earlier. While Howie was at Eastern he did well in the tournament, but the reason given for lack of league titles in many of those years was that Fed Hock was a bigger school, and that is why they could win the Hocking division but that the weak coaching kept them from having success in the tournament. So Howie was given credit for the tournament, but excused from the lack of league championships since Fed is a bigger school in the league. Now Howie is at Fed, so it will be interesting to see if he can make those long tourny runs, or will he simply do as the other coaches at Fed did, which is win the league but not have success in the tourny? Moreover, will his ability to coach overcome what the previous coaches at Fed could not? I'm not bashing Howie, just posing a question about the validity of statements made a few years ago.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Every year needs to be looked at and evaluated differently. Some of those years when Eastern did well with Howie the league was great. Southern had some awesome teams, the Trimble teams in 2002 and 2003 were tough, etc ... etc ...

You can't go judging what one team or one coach did 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago to what a coach or team is doing now. The landscape (not only in the league but the district as well) changes drastically from year to year.

Give Howie that 2003 team with Cozart, Simpson, Dill and Cross this season and I guarantee he wins 20 games, he wouldn't lose a single league contest - and would probably win the district with relative ease.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I have watched Coach Caldwell for years both during the regular season and in the post season with those Eastern teams - some great talent on those teams ... does having talent alone get you deep into tournament play? No ... I have always admired what Coach Caldwell has done WITH the talent he has put on the court - the fundamental play that he DEMANDS from his players ESPECIALLY from the players that have the MOST talent! this has been a point that in my "eye tests" of Coach Caldwell's teams I have picked up on that SEPARATES Coach Caldwell from many of his counterparts - the kids he has that HAVE the physical skills to be quality players - he doesn't let them "get by" on their physical abilities alone! he makes these kids better by demanding that they use those talents that they bring to the floor in the flow of the game, as a TEAM player, to help TEAM not just in putting up "individual" numbers ... individual numbers are nothing if they don't help the TEAM ... I have never met Coach Caldwell , but I KNOW that these ARE part of his coaching philosophy , I know these are the things he focuses on in preparing his TEAM whether he has talent or not makes no difference - the fundamentals of the game, learning to play "the game of basketball", learning to play "your position" , winning & losing as a TEAM ... Coach has been, is successful at Federal Hocking ... he hasn't had the talent that he was afforded on some of those Eastern teams of the past ( who has?) ... but that "cycle of talent" will run through Stewart sooner than later ... when it does - the TVC success (which FED Hock has already won last season) will be taken to the next level of post season success ... Coach Caldwell is a winner - bottom line ...

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

93Bulldog wrote:Every year needs to be looked at and evaluated differently. Some of those years when Eastern did well with Howie the league was great. Southern had some awesome teams, the Trimble teams in 2002 and 2003 were tough, etc ... etc ...

You can't go judging what one team or one coach did 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago to what a coach or team is doing now. The landscape (not only in the league but the district as well) changes drastically from year to year.

Give Howie that 2003 team with Cozart, Simpson, Dill and Cross this season and I guarantee he wins 20 games, he wouldn't lose a single league contest - and would probably win the district with relative ease.
...and give the other teams the players they had and he won't go 20-0.
pfloyd wrote:... I have watched Coach Caldwell for years both during the regular season and in the post season with those Eastern teams - some great talent on those teams ... does having talent alone get you deep into tournament play? No ... I have always admired what Coach Caldwell has done WITH the talent he has put on the court - the fundamental play that he DEMANDS from his players ESPECIALLY from the players that have the MOST talent! this has been a point that in my "eye tests" of Coach Caldwell's teams I have picked up on that SEPARATES Coach Caldwell from many of his counterparts - the kids he has that HAVE the physical skills to be quality players - he doesn't let them "get by" on their physical abilities alone! he makes these kids better by demanding that they use those talents that they bring to the floor in the flow of the game, as a TEAM player, to help TEAM not just in putting up "individual" numbers ... individual numbers are nothing if they don't help the TEAM ... I have never met Coach Caldwell , but I KNOW that these ARE part of his coaching philosophy , I know these are the things he focuses on in preparing his TEAM whether he has talent or not makes no difference - the fundamentals of the game, learning to play "the game of basketball", learning to play "your position" , winning & losing as a TEAM ... Coach has been, is successful at Federal Hocking ... he hasn't had the talent that he was afforded on some of those Eastern teams of the past ( who has?) ... but that "cycle of talent" will run through Stewart sooner than later ... when it does - the TVC success (which FED Hock has already won last season) will be taken to the next level of post season success ... Coach Caldwell is a winner - bottom line ...

I have no problem with Howie. But there are many coaches who win with talent, and who get the MOST out of their players. But none of them win without talented players. I agree that he does not have the talent at Fed that he had at Eastern. I don't think Fed had the talent back then that Howie had at Eastern either. But they still beat Eastern.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from MOTIVATOR.

LEAGUE TITLES THE LAST 4 YEARS:

2009/2010 ... Eastern (18-1),(10-0) ... outright league champions.
2010/2011 ... Eastern (17-3), (14-2) ... outright league champions
2011/2012 ... X
2012/2013 ... Federal Hocking (17-5), (13-3) ... outright league champions.

* THREE of the last FOUR titles have been won outright by a Howie Caldwell team!

TOURNAMENT SUCCESS:

2001 ... Eastern ... DISTRICT CHAMPION (beat Clay)
2002 ... Eastern ... DISTRICT RUNNER-UP (lost to Whiteoak)
2003 ... Eastern ... DISTRICT CHAMPION (beat Trimble)
2004 ... Eastern ... DISTRICT CHAMPION (beat sciotoville)
2005 ... Eastern ... DISTRICT CHAMPION (beat Whiteoak)
2006 ... X
2007 ... X
2008 ... Eastern ... LOST IN SEMI-FINALS
2009 ... Eastern ... DISTRICT RUNNER-UP (lost to Southern)
2010 ... Eastern ... LOST IN SEMI-FINALS (Manchester)
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”