SHL 2013-2014

bbjunky81
SEO

SHL 2013-2014

Post by bbjunky81 »

It's that time of the year again!

What's your thoughts/predictions on the SHL this year? Peebles will be good, and I think Eastern Brown is still going to heavily contend (if not win) the league title.

How do you rank the SHL teams?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Re: SHL 2013-2014

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Peebles, Lynchburg Clay, Eastern Brown, and West Union will all be good this season. What Peebles lacks in the post, have some solid pieces in the post but most are young, they will make up for with strong guard play. Beau Justice will be the best player in the league this season. Lynchburg, Ryan Inman will be the league's best post player, and West Union both have above average size for the league and could give local teams some problems. Eastern, as was mentioned returns a good group and will be in the mix. Nathan Scott will have a big year. The small division of the league, if everything stays the same as the past few years, will most likely be down this season with the best 3-4 teams coming from the big division. Fayetteville will probably win the small division.

My predictions based on watching a few games over the summer(No idea with the small division past my pick for #1):

Big division
1a. Lynchburg
1b. Peebles
3. Eastern Brown
4. West Union
5. North Adams

Small division
1. Fayetteville
2.?

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

No way Eastern Brown drops to 3rd IMO. They have a go to guy and a good supporting cast who plays defense. I do not know how they wouldn't be the favorite going in. Lynchburg has potential but is unproven, I like the Carson hire. Peebles has Justice and who else?????? ryan?? just curious, I know they had a nice 8th grade squad but are they ready to contribute at the varsity level? doubtful. Too bad Arey can't play as an 8th grader,,,I bet he could!, but granted Justice may be all they need. I like Eastern though. A go to guy, good role players who guard people, and one of the best coaches in SEO.

I agree Fayetteville should be the favorite for the small division. Iles is special and may be the toughest player in the league to guard 1 on 1, but I would say Justice does have the nod as the best all around player and Inman definitely seems to be the best post player. I wouldn't count out Fairfield though. interesting to see how they play without Williams, it wasn't pretty last year when he was out of the game but they had all summer to come together.

I look for North Adams, West Union, Whiteoak, Ripley, and Manchester to all be pretty even, all of them seem to be in re-building mode, but Manchester may be in it for awhile. As North Adams could be. West Union is intriguing.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

theuglytruth wrote:No way Eastern Brown drops to 3rd IMO. They have a go to guy and a good supporting cast who plays defense. I do not know how they wouldn't be the favorite going in. Lynchburg has potential but is unproven, I like the Carson hire. Peebles has Justice and who else?????? ryan?? just curious, I know they had a nice 8th grade squad but are they ready to contribute at the varsity level? doubtful. Too bad Arey can't play as an 8th grader,,,I bet he could!, but granted Justice may be all they need. I like Eastern though. A go to guy, good role players who guard people, and one of the best coaches in SEO.

I agree Fayetteville should be the favorite for the small division. Iles is special and may be the toughest player in the league to guard 1 on 1, but I would say Justice does have the nod as the best all around player and Inman definitely seems to be the best post player. I wouldn't count out Fairfield though. interesting to see how they play without Williams, it wasn't pretty last year when he was out of the game but they had all summer to come together.

I look for North Adams, West Union, Whiteoak, Ripley, and Manchester to all be pretty even, all of them seem to be in re-building mode, but Manchester may be in it for awhile. As North Adams could be. West Union is intriguing.
Peebles had the best JV in the league last season and all of those players have made large strides since. They have looked good playing together this off-season and will be better than everyone thinks they will be, especially in the tourny playing D4. They have a chance of being special next season. No one sticks out for me as being an all-league player for the warriors beyond Scott. I never consider a Beucler coached team out of contention though.

PHStide
Waterboy

Post by PHStide »

First off lets get the name right fellas it's the SHAC. LOL

Big School

1)Eastern-Looked bad without Lawson and will be missed, but look for Coach B to have the Warriors ready for this season. Solid defense and enough offense with Scott, Day and solid guard play.

2a)Lynchburg-maybe the best all around team in the league. Inman, Waits, Pierson all can step up any given night. Can Coach Carson get them to play as a team ? If so, look out.

2b)Peebles-Best player in the league; Justice and a solid core of Jr's and Soph's will be a hand full every night.

4) West Union- I'm telling you right now, do not overlook this team; very athletic and scrappy. WU will be fun to watch this year.

5)North Adams-It's hard to believe that I'm listing NA at number 5 but that's how good the other 4 teams are this year.

Small School

1)Fairfield- Lost Williams from last year but had a good summer, Look for Bates, Hilderbrant and Montgomery to be enough to carry the small school.

2a)Fayetteville-DJ Isles is an outstanding ball player but I don't see enough depth to win on a consistent basis.

2b)Manchester-Another young scrappy team that will be a hand full at home.

2c)Ripley-Lost a lot of size and quickness from last year but another young athletic team.

5)White Oak-Will be down for a few years, lost a great class of seniors.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
theuglytruth wrote:No way Eastern Brown drops to 3rd IMO. They have a go to guy and a good supporting cast who plays defense. I do not know how they wouldn't be the favorite going in. Lynchburg has potential but is unproven, I like the Carson hire. Peebles has Justice and who else?????? ryan?? just curious, I know they had a nice 8th grade squad but are they ready to contribute at the varsity level? doubtful. Too bad Arey can't play as an 8th grader,,,I bet he could!, but granted Justice may be all they need. I like Eastern though. A go to guy, good role players who guard people, and one of the best coaches in SEO.

Peebles had the best JV in the league last season and all of those players have made large strides since. They have looked good playing together this off-season and will be better than everyone thinks they will be, especially in the tourny playing D4. They have a chance of being special next season. No one sticks out for me as being an all-league player for the warriors beyond Scott. I never consider a Beucler coached team out of contention though.
I would say Marcus Day and Riley Prine have the potential to be all league players. I would give the second option edge to the warrior over the Indians. Who would be there second option? ryan?? but like I said earlier they may not need a second option with Beau. I agree they could be special, any SHL team that had Beau could have a chance to be special in division 4.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

TribeManiac10 wrote:

I would say Marcus Day and Riley Prine have the potential to be all league players. I would give the second option edge to the warrior over the Indians. Who would be there second option? ryan?? but like I said earlier they may not need a second option with Beau. I agree they could be special, any SHL team that had Beau could have a chance to be special in division 4.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

theuglytruth wrote:
TribeManiac10 wrote:

I admit it might be a stretch to say we have multiple all league players this season considering how young out team is. I do however think we have 5 or 6 potential future all league players on our roster this season(Beau, Kremin, Tucker Schmitz, Cameron Gordley, Ethan Parrot, and Ryan). All of which are underclassmen with the exception of Beau, so maybe I'm projecting a little. Arrasmith, Eric Schmitz, Brady Johnson(similar style player to Prine),and Ireton are all going to be solid varsity players this year also. Ryan is probably the 5th or 6th best player on the team this year(though again, only a sophomore).This team should compete for a gold ball Beau's senior year. Cameron Gordley might be a first team all district player by his junior or senior season. Peebles has beat some good teams in the area over the summer(like Unioto) and lost a close game to Valley( granted they were missing a couple players). It's not going to be just Beau and a handful of JV caliber players like some are expecting.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

definitely safe to say Peebles has kids on the way. There jr. high teams have been fantastic the last couple years. But Fairfield and Lynchburg both have some talented underclassmen as well, difference is Peebles has Justice next year for these kids to play with, and he is definitely a kid who seems to make kids around him better. I have heard a lot of hype about this Gordley kid, sounds like the real deal, sounds like Peebles is looking for big things out of him, and I would say Tanner Arey will be ready to contribute next year as well. Whiteoak has a few nice players coming up next year but definitely seems they are 2-3 years away. Fairfield, Lynchburg and Ripley also have some kids coming. I would say the league is definitely going definitely continue to get stronger. What kids does peebles have returning that saw Varsity minutes last year? Ryan? didn't the Kremin kid play JV last year?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

theuglytruth wrote:definitely safe to say Peebles has kids on the way. There jr. high teams have been fantastic the last couple years. But Fairfield and Lynchburg both have some talented underclassmen as well, difference is Peebles has Justice next year for these kids to play with, and he is definitely a kid who seems to make kids around him better. I have heard a lot of hype about this Gordley kid, sounds like the real deal, sounds like Peebles is looking for big things out of him, and I would say Tanner Arey will be ready to contribute next year as well. Whiteoak has a few nice players coming up next year but definitely seems they are 2-3 years away. Fairfield, Lynchburg and Ripley also have some kids coming. I would say the league is definitely going definitely continue to get stronger. What kids does peebles have returning that saw Varsity minutes last year? Ryan? didn't the Kremin kid play JV last year?
Kremin was predominantly a JV player but I see a lot of potential in him. He has good size and athleticism for a wing but has to work on his strength and aggression. Ryan(6'3"-6'4"ish now) and Brady Johnson(6'2"ish) are the only two other players that have any varsity experience other than Beau, which will definitely hurt. I'm convinced Gordley will end up being a great player. He will probably end up being in the 6'4"-6'5" range, has a good skill set for someone that might end up that big, and loves to compete. Even as an undeveloped freshman he still hates losing to college players that come in for open gym. He probably wont contribute much this season but watch for him the next three years. Tanner will be a great player also. He will probably end up being Trent in a bigger body. Next season I see our top 7 players being good enough to start for almost anyone else in the league. As I said I believe Lynchburg is the slight favorite to win the league this year considering they probably have the best 1-2 punch in both divisions with Waits and Ryan Inman, plus I really like the Pierson kid. Should be an interesting next couple of years.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

Agreed, the league is on the rise! I have seen the Kremin kid, I liked his effort. Little out of control but had a nose for the ball and seemed like a tough nose kid.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

............... and that my friends, is the ugly truth!

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

bbjunky81 wrote:............... and that my friends, is the ugly truth!
yessir!

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

tribe, how is arey doing at uc Clermont? is daniels at Shawnee st? how many shl kids still at mt.st. jo?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

sparky wrote:tribe, how is arey doing at uc Clermont? is daniels at Shawnee st? how many shl kids still at mt.st. jo?
As far as I know Trent is doing fine. Jake is playing for Shawnee. There are 3 SHL kids still on the roster at MSJ (Countryman, Combs, and Payne).

Their profile/team pics were put up this week
Arey http://www.ucclermont.edu/athletics/MensBasketball.html
Daniels http://www.ssubears.com/roster/28/12/1725.php
Countryman http://www.msjsports.com/mbasketball/ro ... ountryman/
Combs http://www.msjsports.com/mbasketball/ro ... vis-combs/
Payne http://www.msjsports.com/mbasketball/ro ... dan-payne/
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great read on the SHAC (TribeManiac10, theuglytruth,sparky, bbjunky81, PHStide) ... I will be making the trip to North Adams on Nov. 30th for the 1st Annual Coach Dave Young classic - should be fun seeing the SHAC teams early( very early) in the season ...

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

is that the preview?

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

Coach Dave Young Classic? Is this a new event? Who is playing in it?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Wheelersburg vs. Peebles is one of the games.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

As pfloyd said, North Adams HS will be hosting the First Coach Young Classic. We believed that bringing some of the best programs in Southeast Ohio to North Adams for a day of basketball would be a fitting tribute to the late Coach Dave Young. Proceeds from the day will fund the Young Memorial Scholarship, given to a student at NAHS and West Union, in memory of Dave and his late brother, Mark.

Date: 11/30/2013
Schedule of games:
11:00am- Whiteoak v. West Union
12:45pm- Peebles v. Wheelersburg
2:30pm- North Adams v. Manchester (Girls)
4:15pm- Manchester v. Racine Southern
6:00pm- Eastern Brown v. Chesapeake
8:00pm- North Adams v. South Webster

Admission will be $8.00; Hand stamp will be provided to come and go. There will be an all-day split the pot, T-shirts will also be available. We hope to make this yearly event one of the premier showcases of Southeastern Ohio Basketball, something we believe would make Coach Young proud.

Return to “Boys Basketball”