Athens vs Gallia - season opener

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dec. 1st

Thoughts?

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Athens vs Gallia - season opener

Post by VisionQuest »

Going to be a lot of nervous energy on the floor in this one. Season Opener for Both teams. I like The Athens D this year. My prediction. Athens wins 63-55.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

To me, this will show if Gallia is ready to make a dent in the SE District. I already know what the Bulldogs have and where I think they can eventually get with a natural progression, but this game really interests me.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:27 pm Going to be a lot of nervous energy on the floor in this one. Season Opener for Both teams. I like The Athens D this year. My prediction. Athens wins 63-55.

... I agree with VisionQuest - the Athens Defense will be too much for the Gallia Academy troops ... too much quickness for Athens on the perimeter, Athens will attack defensively for 32 minutes ... I will be interested to hear the points in transition for Athens at games end - someone take care of that napkin stat ! LOL ... pressure defense, quicks on the perimeter, and not to be overlooked will be the Bulldog bench ... many times when at teams goes 8 deep something is lost from the standpoint of taking the starters off the court - for Athens I see 9-10 legitimate players who can score, continue the defensive pressure, score from the perimeter or get to the rim ... there will be games - here's another napkin stat for 93bulldog to keep - stats on starters vs bench players ... we'll see come Friday night vs Gallia if any of these observations hold true ... even if they don't on Friday night - I see this scenario as Athens comes together as a TEAM as the season progresses ...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Gallia has always been a tough place to play . I''l say a close game . Did n't they play at the OU team camp last summer? Should be a real good game ! I'll say Gallia by 5 , 62 to 57. Good luck to both teams.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:45 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:27 pm Going to be a lot of nervous energy on the floor in this one. Season Opener for Both teams. I like The Athens D this year. My prediction. Athens wins 63-55.

... I agree with VisionQuest - the Athens Defense will be too much for the Gallia Academy troops ... too much quickness for Athens on the perimeter, Athens will attack defensively for 32 minutes ... I will be interested to hear the points in transition for Athens at games end - someone take care of that napkin stat ! LOL ... pressure defense, quicks on the perimeter, and not to be overlooked will be the Bulldog bench ... many times when at teams goes 8 deep something is lost from the standpoint of taking the starters off the court - for Athens I see 9-10 legitimate players who can score, continue the defensive pressure, score from the perimeter or get to the rim ... there will be games - here's another napkin stat for 93bulldog to keep - stats on starters vs bench players ... we'll see come Friday night vs Gallia if any of these observations hold true ... even if they don't on Friday night - I see this scenario as Athens comes together as a TEAM as the season progresses ...

Good grief ... anything else???

Want me to track how many packs of twizzlers are sold as well???

lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

GAME CAN BE STREAMED ONLINE HERE ...

http://970wath.com/

River runner
Waterboy

Post by River runner »

Gallipolis by 10. The Devils have enough ball handlers I believe to get by the Bulldogs swarming defense. If the Devils can get the ball down low to Loveday and Peck I’m not sure that Athens has a answer.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The big boys will be a handful for sure ... but ...

Athens front line is ...

Hines 6'3
Butcher 6'3
Chubb 6'3
Dickleman 6'4

They don't have a true BIG man, but lots of size across the board

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Home court means a lot going with the Blue in a good game.

River runner
Waterboy

Post by River runner »

That’s a solid front line Athens has for sure and if they force a lot of turnovers it will take the Devils big men out of the game a bit. The Devils are more than capable of taking care of the ball we just have to see if they can do it. Loveday being a real good passer definitely will help out. Should be a good game.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I look for a real good game. Back and forth. I'm really not good at predicting scores. Figured I would throw out some numbers and hope for some Discussion on the game. Both teams can score in Transition so it does have the possibility of being a higher scoring contest for sure. I still like the Bulldogs in this one. Is it Friday yet???

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:00 pm Gallia has always been a tough place to play . I''l say a close game . Did n't they play at the OU team camp last summer? Should be a real good game ! I'll say Gallia by 5 , 62 to 57. Good luck to both teams.
Gallia got us at the Summer Camp. Athens wasn't at full strength and Dickelman suffered an ankle injury in that game. Friday night will be a whole different team than Gallia saw over the summer.

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

I predict Gallia will win this game on two condition.... #1.They play Peck and Loveday together most of the time... #2. They don't try to run with Athens. Make it a half court game.
" I'm Donald Trump and I approve this message"

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

I predict Gallipolis, to much talk up of Athens when they haven't proved they can do anything yet without Lutz. They beat the crap put of a South Gallia team that has won 3 games last year.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

tvc_fan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 am I predict Gallipolis, to much talk up of Athens when they haven't proved they can do anything yet without Lutz. They beat the crap put of a South Gallia team that has won 3 games last year.
Uh, the preview doesn't mean anything.

Teams have had lots of scrimmages though the past few weeks. I think that is where evaluations are coming from.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 am
tvc_fan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 am I predict Gallipolis, to much talk up of Athens when they haven't proved they can do anything yet without Lutz. They beat the crap put of a South Gallia team that has won 3 games last year.

Teams have had lots of scrimmages though the past few weeks. I think that is where evaluations are coming from.
Didn't they get thumped for 3 quarters versus Unioto?

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I have no idea who to like in this game. And I disagree with most of what I hear on this thread. Unless Gallia was just horrible and not itself at all in oak hill game. If they slow this game down they will be in trouble. The Blue Devils are not a great shooting team. And I think they are a team that needs a lot of possessions in a game.

I look for the Blue Devils to extend the defense in this game. Maybe not out and out press a lot but at least go 3/4 court and keep pressure on the ball to speed it up. Remember if you play right you are going to have a big guy underneath to clean up a lot of mistakes if you don’t create one by Athens. On the offensive end this team needs to get down court and get something going on first few seconds of possession or they get very stagnet.

If the blue Devils put out the effort required I see it hem with a slim lead. I think they need to play Peck but just in spurts. He will get into foul trouble and labor to much to play much more then say 20 minutes.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

tvc_fan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:24 am
93Bulldog wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 am

Didn't they get thumped for 3 quarters versus Unioto?
Unioto is a great team and well coached. A lot was learned from that Scrimmage. The 1st quarter I won't count as Athens literally stepped off the bus after an hour and a half bus ride- and started playing Unioto who had plenty of warm up time. The 2nd quarter I believe was within a point from what I recall and the 3rd quarter Unioto handled Athens well. Since that Scrimmage Athens has looked like a new team. Most Recently they have looked real good in Scrimmages against Waverly and Miami Trace.They are starting to Mesh and Gel. See you on the 12th.

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

Svac u can disagree all you want sir but if Peck and Loveday aren't in together most of the game they'll get manhandled. #2 Loveday and Peck don't get up and down the court well.. That's why I said a half court game... Peck plays very hard half court defensively and offensively...Loveday not so much...His length is where he comes into play....They both looked out of shape but Peck plays hard and loveday almost looks like he's going half speed....slow and effortless

Return to “Boys Basketball”