Waverly 71 Sheridan 60 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Waverly 71 Sheridan 60 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Waverly 71
Sheridan 60 a final

... talk about a tale of 2 halves ! Waverly was knocked out in the first 2 quarters - they were "stick a fork in 'em - done" ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - First Half - Waverly ...

Scoring (21)... Wolfe 7, Remington 5, Adrain 4, Howell 3, Dunn 2
3 Pointers ... 1/9 ... Howell 1
FT's ... 10/12
TOs ... 12
PnP ... 4fgs/8 points in the paint
Transition Buckets ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of turnovers

... Coach Robertson's Tigers could not buy a basket from anywhere but "putback" range in the opening 2 quarters ... the strategy - which IS the Tiger "regular" MO - was on the court ... push the ball offensively, score in transition, attack the rim, get Sheridan back on their heels while pressuring the ball "everywhere" - in the locker room, at the concession stand, full court, 3/4 court, in the 1/2 court ... you get my point ... MY mo for Sheridan was they couldn't handle on ball pressure - you can turn them over ... IT WORKED .. the Tiger pressure turned the Generals over 8 times in the first half of action ! but unfortunately the Tigers were up to the task on their end - as apparently the phrase was "hold my adult beverage" as the Tigers turned the ball over 12 times in the first half on their own ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - First Half - Sheridan ...

Scoring (37) ...Heileman 8, Heller 7, Hill 6, Russell 6, Bennett 6, Emmert 4
3 Pointers ... 3/5 ... Bennett 2,Hellar 1
FTs ... 10/10
TOs ... 8
PnP ... 3fgs/6pts
Transition Buckets ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition

... the first half was all Generals ... they got their rotation on the floor - 9 players / 6 scored the ball ... the perimeter scoring showed up as SHS went 3/5 from downtown ... the size vs quickness matchup was evident as well - the Generals had 7 fgs in the paint with 4 offensive boards resulting in putback buckets ... the size advanage put Sheridan on the line going 10/10 from the FT line ... ALL was perfect in quarters 1 & 2 - a 37-21 advantage on the scoreboard ... the weapons were loaded and firing from all chambers ... the defense held Waverly to 1 fg in the 2nd quarter ! game over !... BUT (and there is ALWAYS a but) a closer look at the napkin stats barred out the pregame scouting report - pressure IS a problem for Sheridan on the perimeter and the other napkin stat that you have to go between the lines to find beyond the TOs is the "cause" of those turnovers - a scrappy, no quit, we were down by 20 points a week ago vs Jackson Waverly Tiger squad with nothing to lose and everything to win including a district semi ...

Sheridan 37
Waverly 21 at intermission

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...talk about a role reversal ! the 3rd quarter STARTED with an "oh no" as Waverly turned the ball over on its' first 2 possessions ... AND due to the fact that Coach Robertson and his staff BELIEVED in their game plan - yes the same one that had them down 16 points with 16 minutes to play - there was no panic in the Tigers - obviously there was a "NEED, URGENCY" to cut into the General lead . get down under 10 by the end of the quarter type of thinking BUT there was no panic - Sheridan could STILL be turned over on the perimeter, they don't handle pressure well, when the game tempo speeds up THEY too speed up their preferred "workman like pace" taking quick shots, not looking to their strength in this game - the bigs in the paint ... to say the third quarter was all Tigers would be a disservice to what the Tigers did in the quarter : turned the Generals over 8 times / 2 transition buckets, held Sheridan to 2 fgs only 1 fg in the paint, held SHS to 7 points as a team, they pushed the ball on every possession, attacked the rim which opened up the perimeter shots (2 triples in the quarter) - the Tigers finally LOOKED comfortable as they TOOK control at both ends of the floor - they had the Generals in full retreat ...Ethan Adrain led the charge putting up 9 points in the 3rd , Clayton Howell added a triple, Cody Remington took it to the hole where he ended up at the FT line for 4/4 in the 3rd ... at the 5:48 mark of the 3rd Sheridan led 37-27 (1st goal accomplished out of half time - get the margin down to 10 pts) ... in the next 5 + minutes the Tigers decided GETTING to 10 wasn't good enough, the Generals were missing shots, weren't getting the ball inside - they were on the run ... the Tigers outscored SHS 17-7 the rest of the quarter ... 44-44 end of 3 ... game on !!! ... the quarter break did nothing to stop the Tiger onslaught as the Tigers forced an SHS timeout with a 6-0 run to start the final period - game over for real ... too much Tiger quickness , 4 more General turnovers to NO Waverly turnovers in the 4th period meant that the Tigers didn't GIVE anything back , the heart and soul for the Generals Ethan Heller picked up his 5th foul ... 12 points in the 4th by Clayton Howell ... 11/18 shooting from the FT line ... the Tigers more than Survived and Advanced ... Waverly 71 Sheridan 60 a final

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Sheridan ...

Scoring ...Ethan Heller 13, Grant Heileman 13, Landen Russell 8, Dylan Emmert 6, Luken Hill 6, Grey Bennett 6, Clayton Radabaugh 4, Amere Royster 3

3 Pointers ... 4/14 ... Grey Bennett 2, Grant Heileman 1, Ethan Heller 1
FTs ... 18/20
TOs ... 20 ... 12 in the second half !
Pnp ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
Transition buckets ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of turnovers
Putback buckets : 4 fgs/8 points on offensive boards NONE in the 2nd half ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Waverly ...

Scoring ... Easton Wolfe 21, Clayton Howell 19, Cody Remington 14, Ethan Adrain 14, Cobe Marquez 4, Ethan Dunn 2
3 Pointers ... 5/16 ... Clayton Howell 3, Ethan Adrain 1, Easton Wolfe 1
FTs ... 28/38
TOs ... 18
PnP ...13 fgs/26 points in the paint
Transition buckets ... 4 fgs/ 8 points in transition

... wish I would have seen the Tigers earlier in the year ! Waverly would have definitely been higher up the rankings ... the "organized" Chaos they bring to the court ? wow - 32 minutes of pressure, the players to make it difficult for the opponent to control the tempo ... a team of runs - last night the run for the entire 2nd half a 50 - 23 blitz ... congratulations to the Tigers & Coach Robertson ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: Waverly 71 Sheridan 60 a final

Post by LucasDavenport »

Thanks for the run down.

You might also have fallen victim to the “SOC2 is weaker than I’ve ever seen it” which is not true.

The tournament is starting to exhibit that fact
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Sounds like it was great game to watch up in the cheep seats. Great write up Pfloyd!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Wow, that's a ton of free throws shot between both teams. I'm sure a lot of Waverly's was shot down the stretch but to hit them the way there were so many times in high school that's the difference in winning and losing and they knocked down 28/38 which is a good thing because Sheridan going 18/20 is impressive as well.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

Glad you finally got the chance to get your eyes on the Tigers. The game plan is always the same for the Tigers. Run run run and create chaos. Sheridan did a good job in the first half of not falling into the chaos, but in the second half they got tired and fell into the trap set by Coach Robinson.

WHS2000
Waterboy

Post by WHS2000 »

In the first half Waverly tried to trap a couple times and it ended in easy buckets for one of the bigs #44 I think. The Tigers also tried to drive into the trees and throw up prayers asking for fouls and it just wasn't working for them.
Waverly in the second half, got the game played at their pace. The Sheridan bigs were almost non-existent as scorers for most of the 4th quarter. Which that's a credit to Waverly, Coach Robertson and staff. The "organized chaos" that Waverly runs does a lot to rattle teams, especially teams that like to run a half-court offense.
The Tigers rebounding in the second half I want to commend. We got in there among the Sheridan bigs and grabbed some serious rebounds.
KEEP IT ROLLIN'

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Nice report. I believe Wolfe lead with 21.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smurray wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:14 pm Nice report. I believe Wolfe lead with 21.
... I think you are right smurray ... 21 points for Easton Wolfe ... I'll fix it ... Chaos on the court and chaos on my Napkin Stat sheet ;)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Waverly was down 20 to Jackson?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:58 pm Waverly was down 20 to Jackson?
I think he rounded up, wasn’t too far off.

Return to “Boys Basketball”