The old days?

mikepike
All State

The old days?

Post by mikepike »

Will high school sports continue to evolve into looking more and more like college sports, or will kids and parents go back to the old days when kids played at their local school thru graduation? I have no dog in the fight, but I miss the days when kids played at 1 school unless their family moved. It seems kids move from year to year for a variety of reasons, and it is hard not to think there is some dirty stuff going on.

Opinions please.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: The old days?

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Nah. Once them kids are old enough to drive it’s fair game

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

It's still about school pride here in Adams county. In most rural areas it's about the school , the friends and coaches you've grown up watching and the desire to play for that coach that keeps our teams together.I don't think there are any kids that play AAU on our high school boys teams right now. Most spend off season playing baseball ,working or on the farm or vacations being kids.Im sure the parade thru Peebles last night ensured at least another generation of Indians longing to wear the Indian red and white at the Convo. Rural schools such as the ones playing last night in D4 put school first in most cases. In highly populated areas people don't rely so much on one peticular school so they probably don't understand. In this day of AAU it's really hard to keep local teams together k-12. Good luck to the area teams in the district tourneys and beyond.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

We're heading in a better direction with Competitive Balance, but there needs to be further tightening of it. There are still ways to get around it, and I would increase the multiplier for transfers a little more.

I also believe the proposed transfer rule, if passed, would help.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I do not see it getting any better. Parenting has changed, if a kid isn't an all-star, it must be because the coach has it out for the kid, not the fact the kid doesn't have the ability or didn't put the work in to fulfill their potential. This all stems from the everyone gets a trophy generation.

Looking back, some of the best teammates I ever had were role players, now a role player is hard to come by because little Jonny is supposed to get equal time. Takes a special kid, with a good upbringing to do that job now.

And to make it worse, we now consider this transferring thing as normal, so when these 14-20-year-olds are parents themselves, they will continue to condone the same thing they saw as normal.

AAU and travel teams are slowly killing high school sports in all sports.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

A kid has to live in the school district doesnt he?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

people/parents are evolving in general and a lot of people are set in their ways and don’t understand it, or will say it’s wrong. I always say do what you think is right for you regardless of what people will say. If you transfer and finish your career out happy and things go well for you the good on ya. If you’re as miserable at your new school as you were your old, or you seem to have the same problems then it’s time to look inside, take some personal accountability and realize the problem could be you.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

School that takes in transfers find a way to get around the rules . It happens and some never get wacked . If a school has more than one transfers in say a 3 year period you bet something is going on . Take it to the Bank . I know some say that it's a parents right to better their kids but it's the OHSAA to make sure all is fair . Teams load up to make a run in the tournaments . More down side than the up side for SELECTED STARS to get an advantage .IMO

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

As long as there are young people there will be old people complaining because they didn’t do it like them.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mlittle wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm As long as there are young people there will be old people complaining because they didn’t do it like them.
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with the old way of doing thing, sometimes I'd prefer it, but there's also nothing wrong with evolving. Life has evolved since the Big Bang (might get banned for that lol) and will continue to as well.

We've benefited from kids coming into our school system, we've also lost some talent kids to other schools as well. It happens. In my belief, you need to make it a memorable and impactful experience for all of the students in a school, in sports, in the classroom, or outside of it.

Sometimes adults seem to forget who high schools are all about.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Truth&fiction wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:03 pm School that takes in transfers find a way to get around the rules . It happens and some never get wacked . If a school has more than one transfers in say a 3 year period you bet something is going on . Take it to the Bank . I know some say that it's a parents right to better their kids but it's the OHSAA to make sure all is fair . Teams load up to make a run in the tournaments . More down side than the up side for SELECTED STARS to get an advantage .IMO
Check the OHSAA website. Every school in this area has a competitive balance number in one sport or another. That means every school has a transfer student playing some kind of sport.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

High school is about learning and preparing yourself for your future. I played baseball back in the early '80s. Wasn't that bad, but definitely wasn't great. But I had a blast playing with my friends. I'm not necessarily knocking people who look for better opportunities for their kids, but I think there is a problem when half of a team is made up of kids who don't live in the district. What incentive is there to try to build a program when you can bring in the next starting 5 with transfers? Call me old, call me old school. But I think I appreciate any success the Red Streaks have when it's done by Piketon kids instead of Waverly/Eastern/Western/etc. kids. It's as bad as holding a kid back simply for sports purposes.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:36 pm It's still about school pride here in Adams county. In most rural areas it's about the school , the friends and coaches you've grown up watching and the desire to play for that coach that keeps our teams together.I don't think there are any kids that play AAU on our high school boys teams right now. Most spend off season playing baseball ,working or on the farm or vacations being kids.Im sure the parade thru Peebles last night ensured at least another generation of Indians longing to wear the Indian red and white at the Convo. Rural schools such as the ones playing last night in D4 put school first in most cases. In highly populated areas people don't rely so much on one peticular school so they probably don't understand. In this day of AAU it's really hard to keep local teams together k-12. Good luck to the area teams in the district tourneys and beyond.

Well Mr high and mighty, you should look at the competitive balance numbers in multiple sports for Adams County schools. You guys have transfers too just like the rest of us. Careful with that stone there.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:15 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:36 pm It's still about school pride here in Adams county. In most rural areas it's about the school , the friends and coaches you've grown up watching and the desire to play for that coach that keeps our teams together.I don't think there are any kids that play AAU on our high school boys teams right now. Most spend off season playing baseball ,working or on the farm or vacations being kids.Im sure the parade thru Peebles last night ensured at least another generation of Indians longing to wear the Indian red and white at the Convo. Rural schools such as the ones playing last night in D4 put school first in most cases. In highly populated areas people don't rely so much on one peticular school so they probably don't understand. In this day of AAU it's really hard to keep local teams together k-12. Good luck to the area teams in the district tourneys and beyond.

Well Mr high and mighty, you should look at the competitive balance numbers in multiple sports for Adams County schools. You guys have transfers too just like the rest of us. Careful with that stone there.
What did he say to deserve that?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:15 pm

What did he say to deserve that?
Hahaha! Thought so! Don't think I said a word about transfers,but ; whatever!

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

You didn’t say the word “transfers” but you implied it with pretty much most of your statement. Unless I’m misinterpreting the “it’s still about school pride in Adams County” and the couple times mentioned about keeping the teams together.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Here at Peebles our competitive balance since it was asked for winter sports is "0" per ohsaa 2017-2018 competitive balance enrollment. We lose players ,but ;seldom gain any. Mostly because of divorced households or unmarried couples going separate ways. Ohio valley local schools is our school district. Teachers move from school to school year to year as per the school board,but; as a rule their kids usually stay at their home school. I know a teacher from Peebles that teaches at North Adams and her kids go to school there because she it there .
Peebles,West Union and North Adams are members of the OVLSD. Manchester is it's own School District.
Last edited by Hoopie74 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Not sure which school you mean but in my statement I meant there are transfers at schools in Adams County.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 pm Not sure which school you mean but in my statement I meant there are transfers at schools in Adams County.
hahaha! Nobody wants to transfer to Adams county.Not enough money in our quiet little county.Seriously, I don't care who or what school takes in transfers.Its happened forever, I'm just saying I'm proud of our boys this year who have stuck together thru thick and thin. Oh by the way there are a couple of players on other teams that transferred out of Peebles to greener pastures and they are currently still in the hunt at OU. One in the hunt for Dlll district player of the year.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:07 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:03 pm School that takes in transfers find a way to get around the rules . It happens and some never get wacked . If a school has more than one transfers in say a 3 year period you bet something is going on . Take it to the Bank . I know some say that it's a parents right to better their kids but it's the OHSAA to make sure all is fair . Teams load up to make a run in the tournaments . More down side than the up side for SELECTED STARS to get an advantage .IMO
Check the OHSAA website. Every school in this area has a competitive balance number in one sport or another. That means every school has a transfer student playing some kind of sport.
There are schools that do not have transfers in the state but in your area it may be evident . My comment was the pattern schools that know how to get around the rules . It's been going on for some time . Your school may in fact have transfers but I will not judge their reasons because that's their choice .

Return to “Boys Basketball”