Riding the Bench

Athens vs. Alexander

Post by basketball12349 »

Thoughts on Friday's game?

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Athens vs. Alexander

Post by VisionQuest »

Will be some intriguing matchups in this one. Isiah Butcher held Zach Loveday to 17 points in the season opener and it will be interesting to see him and Terry battling it out. Both teams have speedy little guards in Williams for Athens and Kearns for Alex. The following are other matchups I foresee: Hynes and Stone Markins, Mecum And Chubb, Riley and Maxfield. Both teams also have good bench play. This is going to be a Battle.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I won't talk about this game until both play games tonight

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:30 pm Will be some intriguing matchups in this one. Isiah Butcher held Zach Loveday to 17 points in the season opener and it will be interesting to see him and Terry battling it out. Both teams have speedy little guards in Williams for Athens and Kearns for Alex. The following are other matchups I foresee: Hynes and Stone Markins, Mecum And Chubb, Riley and Maxfield. Both teams also have good bench play. This is going to be a Battle.
Held to 17 points? Lol

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Vik wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:36 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:30 pm Will be some intriguing matchups in this one. Isiah Butcher held Zach Loveday to 17 points in the season opener and it will be interesting to see him and Terry battling it out. Both teams have speedy little guards in Williams for Athens and Kearns for Alex. The following are other matchups I foresee: Hynes and Stone Markins, Mecum And Chubb, Riley and Maxfield. Both teams also have good bench play. This is going to be a Battle.
Held to 17 points? Lol
Well considering he put 26 on Athens last year and just put 35 on Afrocentric recently.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

There probably won’t be many kids that go 17 a game not make 1st team all district. I’m not giving kudos to holding a kid to 17 points in 25-30 min game

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Loveday getting 17 was like getting 30 in most games. Both teams looked bad that first game on offense. Hopefully we can hit some shots early to getAlexander out of their slow pace game plan

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Alex at the buzzer!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fridays game can be heard live on Power 105 or wxtq.com.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I can't believe that hardly anyone is talking about this game. One of the most highly anticipated games of the year and hardly any chatter. I will say Athens by 5 in a low scoring game that will be back and forth. 53-48 is my prediction giving Athens the home court advantage in this one. Going to be a great atmosphere at McAfee tomorrow night. 93Bulldog said he would wait after Tuesday to comment. Well it's now Thursday so let's hear it.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Should be a close game. I’d give the edge to Alex after seeing both teams but the talent level is similar. So it could go either way.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I've seen both play ... I'm gonna say straight up pick em!

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox »

having seen both teams I will say alexander by 8 points. terry is the least of their worries. he lacks aggression and will get swallowed up by the aggressive play of the bulldogs. but alex can put five beasts out there who can match up with the dogs. Alex wins TVC this year and dogs, Vikings and Meigs battle it out for second place. Alex is just too deep this year in my opinion.

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Depth is less of a factor in a big game. Coaches go with who they trust in tight situations. Athens goes 8 deep and feels good with any of the 8 on the floor. You don't really need anymore than that.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

If Athens loses at home I’m concerned for whatever reason they aren’t as good as last year

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:13 pm If Athens loses at home I’m concerned for whatever reason they aren’t as good as last year
Athens starting 5 I believe have each been the leading scorers for the team through 6 games. That tells me there isn't one "star". There are some games that a player or 2 in the starting 5 hasn't showed up in the scoring column at all. If they can get some games where they all balance out in scoring then watch out. I feel they need to get some perimeter shooting going to be effective come tournament time. The 3 point game hasn't really been there for them so far this year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... is there a freshmen game tomorrow night ?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:57 pm ... is there a freshmen game tomorrow night ?
I can’t fathom Alexander has a freshman team

Edit: well maybe they do. We play them and it starts at 5:00, which on the rest of our schedule means there is a freshman game

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:02 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:57 pm ... is there a freshmen game tomorrow night ?
I can’t fathom Alexander has a freshman team

Edit: well maybe they do. We play them and it starts at 5:00, which on the rest of our schedule means there is a freshman game
... just looked at the Alexander Athletic site - has Alexander's freshmen playing at 5pm ... game on ...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:13 pm If Athens loses at home I’m concerned for whatever reason they aren’t as good as last year
I'm not really sure but didn't Athens get off to a pretty slow start even last year?

Return to “Boys Basketball”