Coal Grove 57 Oak Hill 48 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Coal Grove 57 Oak Hill 48 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Coal Grove 57
Oak Hill 48 a final

... Tempo , tempo , tempo AND tempo ... the games within THE game ... the Oaks started out controlling the game - every phase of the game for the first 5 minutes or so jumping out to a 20-4 lead - all 5 starters had contributed in the scorebook Mason Darby 4/Chase Hammond 6/Caden Harden drained 2 treys for 6/Keaton Potter 2 ... the Oaks were disciplined/worked the ball for the shot they wanted from where they wanted to take it - game, set & ENTER Jaylen McKenzie for CG ... the young man singlehandedly changed the game from the 5 minute & change mark of the 1st quarter ... the tempo that the Oaks were comfortable with was turned up to Spinal Tap "11" as he turned up the pressure on D, harassed the Oaks on the perimeter, offensively made his own 7-0 run to close out the 1st quarter for CG ... Oak Hill 20 Coal Grove 11 end of 1 ... the tempo NOW to CG's liking stayed at "11" as CG turned the Oaks over 9 times in the 2nd quarter with the first 2 of the quarter resulting in CG transition buckets ... by the time the buzzer sounded to end the onslaught Aaron Music had 10 2nd period points (14 for the half)/Cory Borders added 5/McKenzie 2 more (9 pts in the half) ... a 26-7 run from a couple minutes to play in the 1st period to intermission ... Coal Grove 30 Oak Hill 27 intermission ... I was interested to see how Norm was going to "get back control" of the tempo or WOULD the Oaks be able to get the tempo turned back down below the Spinal Tap zone ... the Oaks WERE able to turn the tempo back down - Norm had the Oaks go to their "go to" guys Hammond and Darby with the key being they were able to get the ball down low ... when they got the ball down low to Hammond , he got to the FT line - slowed down the CG pressure for the better part of the 3rd period .. result : Oaks took the lead, Oaks hung onto the lead thru the end of 3 ... Oak Hill 44 Coal Grove 42 after 3 ... Coal Grove IS a very good team, LOTS of excellent weapons on the offensive end of the floor - Music, Borders,Evan Gannon, Jaylen McKenzie and Payton Smith ... it was like watching a football game in the 4th quarter -CG loaded the right side and the Oaks didn't have enough players to stop the run ... too many bodies coming at the Oaks on both ends of the floor - offensively ALL of the CG players contributed on the napkin stat sheet ... defensively CG turned the pressure back up ... turned the Oaks over 8 times in the 4th with half of those turnovers going the other way for transition baskets ... the Oaks were held scoreless until Darby was able to get to the rim with 1:59 to play ... CG held Oak Hill to 4 total points in the 4th ... CG's perimeter defense smelled blood in attacking the Oak Hill weakness - ball handling on the perimeter ... Jaylen McKenzie finished off the Oaks just as he had started the run in the first quarter - scoring 8 points in the 4th ... Coal Grove 57 Oak Hill 48 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - OaK Hill

Scoring ... Mason Darby 13, Chase Hammond 12, Drew Hanning 9, Caden Harden 8 , Keaton Potter 4, Eric Kaller 2
3 Pointers ... 4/13 ... Caden Harden 2, Mason Darby 1, Drew Hanning 1
FTs ........ 8/10
TOs ....... 25
PnP .... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
PnT ... 0

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Coal Grove

Scoring ... Aaron Music 20, Jaylen McKenzie 17, Cory Borders 10, Payton Smith 8, Evan Gannon 2
3 Pointers ... 4/12 ... Cory Borders 2, Payton Smith 1, Aaron Music 1
FTs ....... 11/18
TO .... 8
PnP ... 15 fgs/30 points in the paint
PnT ... 8 fgs/16 points in transition
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Coal Grove 57 Oak Hill 48 a final ...

Post by Ironman92 »

25 turnovers

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks Coach Justin Davis, Chesapeake assistant coach, for stopping up in the cheap seats to chat ! will see you next weekend the 12th for the Beasts of the Southeast ! Mr. Mark Anderson - thank you for stopping by - what you said to pfloyd ... it means a lot hearing good things from posters on SEOPs- thank you ...

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Great write up as always

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
joshwheeler
Waterboy

Post by joshwheeler »

Thanks for the write up. I’ll have to disagree with you on a few points though. The big change in the game was when Nate Harmon was put in the game.

CG is best when their defense is creating offense, and with 0 team fouls half way through the first or better, the intensity wasn’t there. It’s what has plagued these hornets in their 2 losses. They haven’t been beat yet this season, they simply allowed other teams to win.

Nate Harmon took away the entry passes to the block and cutters that Darby was taking advantage of early.

Happy for the win, when this team begins playing with that defensive intensity from the get go and carries it through the game, watch out. The team is deep with skill, that should be able to take on anyone, especially when Peyton Smith, Corey Borders, and Aaron Musick’s shots are dropping and Mckenzie is facilitating well on the offensive side.

I go back to old faithful. Defense wins championships. When the Hornets have their defense going, I’ll put them against anyone.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

[attachment=0]FB_IMG_1546519496960.jpg[/attachment]

Photo by Kent Sanborn

See more

southernohiosportsphotos.smugmug.com
Attachments
FB_IMG_1546519496960.jpg

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

Great summation PFLOYD and great added feedback Josh Wheeler.

I agree aside from the tenacious defensive effort from McKenzie in the 1st qtr comeback (down 16-2) that Nate Harmon was key to that run as he kept Hammond from dominating the paint as he did early and got a few fouls on him that mattered late. In addition Music started learning Darby's offensive tendencies and did a great job the last 3 quarters.
Coal Groves defense and help defense was great. Defense is how they win along with unselfish play. I believe in 4 of the last 5 games a different starter led the team in scoring.
Let's give a shout out to Coach Vanderhoof. Arguably one of the best coaches in SE Ohio and a true class act.

Rarely does the JV team get discussed but after seeing a few games there are a few guys splitting time between JV and varsity that are strong enough and fast enough to contribute on varsity this year. I say this with a big IF. If they improve fundamentals and understand role and that role is team defense and unselfish play then maybe minutes may come but if not you will be more ready next year. Learn while watching!

Last statement. After watching several teams play why is rebounding just based on using athleticism instead of finding your man and blocking out? It is alot easier to rebound when you box out!

Great Win Tonight. Go Big Grove!

Once an Oak
Waterboy

Post by Once an Oak »

It was great to meet you at the game last night. As I said,I have enjoyed your posts for years, and I appreciate your perspective. I hope I come across you again in the future.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

CGFAN#1 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 am Great summation PFLOYD and great added feedback Josh Wheeler.

I agree aside from the tenacious defensive effort from McKenzie in the 1st qtr comeback (down 16-2) that Nate Harmon was key to that run as he kept Hammond from dominating the paint as he did early and got a few fouls on him that mattered late. In addition Music started learning Darby's offensive tendencies and did a great job the last 3 quarters.
Coal Groves defense and help defense was great. Defense is how they win along with unselfish play. I believe in 4 of the last 5 games a different starter led the team in scoring.
Let's give a shout out to Coach Vanderhoof. Arguably one of the best coaches in SE Ohio and a true class act.

Rarely does the JV team get discussed but after seeing a few games there are a few guys splitting time between JV and varsity that are strong enough and fast enough to contribute on varsity this year. I say this with a big IF. If they improve fundamentals and understand role and that role is team defense and unselfish play then maybe minutes may come but if not you will be more ready next year. Learn while watching!

Last statement. After watching several teams play why is rebounding just based on using athleticism instead of finding your man and blocking out? It is alot easier to rebound when you box out!

Great Win Tonight. Go Big Grove!
I agree with Coach Vanderhoof. I go to church with him, he's a great coach, but an even better person. I go to Coal Grove's games every once in a while and I've always been impressed with his temperament; he hardly ever gets worked up, always encouraging, and I think that shows with the way his players play. I'm from Rock Hill, but I'd put Kevin in front of any coach in the OVC, and even in the discussion as one of the best coaches in Southeastern Ohio.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Great write up as always!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Reds Fan wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:43 am Great write up as always!
... thank you Reds Fan - thanks for the read ! I have to apologize to the CG faithful - I got back from Oak Hill last night late ... in my hast in wanting to get the "napkin stats" out last night before they hit the paper - I did decide I needed to give that game, those two teams and the outstanding players on both sides their just do's - I failed to give the necessary recognition to the coaching staffs ... CGFAN#1 - you are absolutely right about Coach Vanderhoof - I was introduced to Coach Vanderhoof by Coach Ryan Davis of Chesapeake at the Beasts of the Southeast 2 years ago , Coach shook hands with pfloyd , didn't "roll his eyes"- like who the heck is pfloyd ! LOL ... Coach Vanderhoof - Coach of the Year in D4 last season ... Southeast District Champs in D4 last season, Regional finalist ... 2018-19 ... I see Coach Vanderhoof's CG team "backing up" last years post season performance with a return trip to the Convo with outstanding results AGAIN for THIS Hornets team as well ... all the pieces are there for a D4 run again ... looking forward to seeing Coal Grove AGAIN in a week at the Beasts of the SouthEast in Chesapeake - hoping to shake hands with Coach Vanderhoof again this time to congratulate him on LAST season, and his Coach of the Year honor from last season as well - well deserved ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I was at the game last night, and it was a stunning comeback by the Hornets after the Oaks jumped to a 11-0 and 16-4 lead. Good win for the OVC in a very tough place to get a win. CG's defensive intensity won this game, and eventually it took its toll on OH. My Trojans better be ready for the Hornets when they come to Portsmouth later this month. Coach Vanderhoof always has his kids playing hard. I picked CG for 6th in the OVC, but they look a lot better than that.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Wicked write up pfloyd...as i might've said back in the 80's...lol.

Congrats to the Hornets! Excellent come back. Guessing coach Norm still has some work to do. Da Grove might just surprise some folks in the OVC.

Thinking of surprising you and others come CONVO TIME...just need to work out a few things. The job comes first. Keep up the good work, yoda!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 pm Wicked write up pfloyd...as i might've said back in the 80's...lol.

Congrats to the Hornets! Excellent come back. Guessing coach Norm still has some work to do. Da Grove might just surprise some folks in the OVC.

Thinking of surprising you and others come CONVO TIME...just need to work out a few things. The job comes first. Keep up the good work, yoda!
LOL ! You know you are ALWAYS welcome in the Cheap Seats !

Return to “Boys Basketball”