Warren 56 Athens 40 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Warren 56 Athens 40 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Athens 40
Warren 56 a final

... I made the trip to Warren Local for the first time this season - doesn't seem right ! I usually have made at least another trip or have seen Coach Maddox's TEAM before Christmas ... the Warriors due to their own non-league affiliation have to schedule teams that WILL schedule THEM ... the BBB have had to book games with foreign teams - Spring Valley, Parkersburg & Parkersburg South WVa, East district teams - Meadowbrook , Fort Frye (regulars on the WHS schedule), Whitehall in C'bus ... you can see my problem - as much as I want to see the Warriors - I also want to see them playing another SEO District Foe ... with that said last night's match-up would be a good barometer game for Warren vs a SEO quality team ... Coach Cozart's Bulldogs came into the game with an 8-2 record after running off 8 straight W's ... Warren lost it's opening game in OT to the Marietta Tigers AT Marietta in what has been the Tigers best showing of their season ... Athens - an SEO "tall" team with 3 starters at 6-3 & football size "strength" in Eli Chubb, Justin Hynes, Isaiah Butcher ... a hardnosed, scrappy guard in Logan Maxfield ... and a quick hands/quick feet pg in Elijah Williams ... AHS plays their patented 3-2 match-up/trapping zone on the defensive end ... Warren entered the game being somewhat UN-Warrenlike - as they lack that 6-5/6-6 BIG - that seals off your defender, wide wing span guy who they can look too down low when all else isn't going right offensively ... lacking the BIG down low also presents problems at both ends on the boards ... offensively Coach Maddox with his 2 guard dominated team has MANY perimeter options in Noah Nichols/Seth Dennis, Brandon Simonette, Joel Chevalier, Austin Barta with Clay Miller being the loan 6-3'ish big who starts outside and goes into the paint...

... Both teams followed the script in the opening quarter looking to establish what they wanted to do offensively - Athens looked low to Justin Hynes for a couple of fgs and 6th man Brayden Markins added a deuce ... the Warriors vs the AHS zone launched 6 three pointers with Seth Dennis hitting his first attempt and Noah Nichols connecting on a trey and establishing a trend for both teams - Athens turning the ball over (7 TOs in the 1st) and Warren capitalizing with a bucket going the other way - Nichols with the pick and transition bucket ... Warren 10 Athens 8 after 1 ... the biggest napkin stat of the first half was the 2nd foul on AHS pg Elijah Williams ... this put the Bulldog's ball handler - their go to option to get into the paint off the dribble - on the bench ... Athens turned the ball over 5 more times in the 2nd ... Chubb handled the pg position along with Brayden Markins -problem with the 6-3 Chubb handling the ball is he can't throw the ball to himself ! Chubb is/should be one of the inside options for the Bulldogs ! with that said Maxfield hit a trey from the right wing, Hynes and Butcher got easy buckets down low as Warren struggles with match-up vs BIGS in the paint - the good thing for the BBB is they harass you so much on the perimeter it's difficult to run your offense out of traps ... Warren's Noah Nichols was outstanding in the 2nd as he netted 7 more points with a put back bucket among the trees, got fouled and the old fashion "and one" ... off the bench for Coach Maddox came Joel Chevalier to knockdown a couple mid-range shots to help the BBB get a little separation heading into the locker room at half time ... Warren 27 Athens 21 at intermission ... as a Cheap Seat guy I look at all of the similarities/differences etc in teams I see ... Warren is made up of a bunch of basketball size/length/ability athletes - they are basketball players first (although Brandon Simonette is a darn good qb for the football team) while appearances are to me anyway that Athens is a team of athletes who can play any sport they want, good physical size and strength to be excellent football players - which they are - but they are athletes not necessarily "basketball players" ... athletes can in many cases beat "lesser athletes" but are going to struggle vs teams who ARE made up of true "basketball players" - throw in that the Warriros are schooled in the nuances of the game - the fundamentals ... the 3rd quarter showed that "the athletes" from Athens are what athletes ARE - competitors - Eli Chubb , as he has done in the games I have seen Athens play this year, nailed 2 triples from downtown - when he gets to the top of the key area,in rhythm he WILL drain the triple & usually in bunches of 2 or 3 ... Isaiah Butcher added 6 points with a nice up & under reverse layup going baseline ... for Warren Austin Barta hit a trey plus couple FTs, Clay Miller added a bucket and Seth Dennis ended the 3rd with a transition bucket ... Warren 36 Athens hanging around at 33 end of 3 ... as the 3rd quarter played out the Bulldogs were collecting fouls by the wheelbarrow full which effectively had the Warriors shooting FTs in the 4th quarters as Athens who came out in the 3rd playing man to man defensively appeared winded ... teams when they are tired often times stop moving their feet/start using their hands/ are out of position defensively ... enter quarter number 4 - Athens continuing to play man D, Williams picking up his 3rd foul in the 3rd (more bench time - Athens had 7 TOs in the 3rd) ... Brandon Simonette dropped a triple to open the 4th for WHS followed by the Warriors making a parade to the foul line hitting 7 straight FTs ...mix in a Hynes bucket on the blocks ... someone must have put chum in the waters as the Warrior smelling blood with Williams on the bench for Athens the BBB attacked the Bulldogs on the perimeter ... at 7:50 on the clock the score stood at 36-33 Warren ... at 5:24 Warren was up 45-36 with a 9-3 run ( FTs & a transition bucket) ... after 2 straight Warren picks for transition buckets and another FT ... 5-0 run by Warren ... at 4:18 Warriors had put this one away 50-36 ... the Warren bench cleared with :46.3 on the clock ... Warren 56 Athens 40 final

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens

Scoring ... Justin Hynes 11, Isaiah Butcher 11, Logan Maxfield 8, Eli Chubb 6, Elijah Williams 2, Brayden Markins 2
3 Pointers ... 3/15 ... Eli Chubb 2, Logan Maxfield 1
FTs ...... 9/12
TOs ..... 25
PnP ..... 10 fgs/20 points in the paint
PnT ..... 0

... Athens lacks the consistent perimeter scoring to make the inside game effective vs good teams ... the Athens strength is the inside game of Chubb/Hynes/Butcher - none of which gets the touches inside to be MOST effective ... inconsistency on the perimeter both handling the ball - Eli Chubb in the 3 games i have seen Athens IS the best perimeter shooter on the Bulldogs team but in all 3 games he has been forced to be the ballhandler/pg/starter of the offense due to Williams inability to stay out of foul trouble ... Eli Chubb is an offensive threat that SHOULD BE one of the players where the ball "ends up"with not the player starting the offense - he never gets the touches in the places on the floor where he can be the offensive threat he can be/should be/is ... Justin Hynes should be a mid teens scorer every game - when he gets the ball on the block he is hard to handle - he just doesn't see the ball enough ... the best player on the Bulldogs starting rotation who CAN get to the rim off the dribble is Logan Maxfield - few touches other than helping out on the perimeter in bailing out the pgs who aren't pgs ... 25 TOs on the night ... I saw AHS vs Waverly game 2 of the season - 32 TOs ... Warren learned a lot about the Bulldogs in this one ... I wouldn't be surprised they meet again in the Logan Sectional ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Noah Nichols 18, Austin Barta 15, Seth Dennis 10, Clay Miller 5, Joel Chavelier 4, Brandon Simonette 3, Issac Colgrove 1
3 Pointers ... 4/13 ... Seth Dennis 1, Brandon Simonette 1, Austin Barta 1, Noah Nichols 1
FTs ... 14/18
TOs ... 13
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
PnT ... 6 fgs/12 points in transition

... Coach Maddox played 9 ... when you don't have a roster sheet they ALL look the same on the floor - ALL perimeter people , ALL can contribute on the score/napkin stat sheet ... the first time in awhile I haven't seen that physically strong, go to big man for WHS ... the 26 points in the paint is somewhat of a misnomer as 12 of those were layups off steals - now you're down to 14 points in the paint with 2 more buckets being put backs after misses - that takes it to 5 fgs/10 points in the paint, an even closer look at the napkin stat sheet and 1 of THOSE 5 fgs was a perimeter drive to the bucket for 2 points ... we're left with 4 fgs from designed plays for the Warriors that resulted in points in the paint ... I think we can say Warren is a perimeter oriented offensive team LOL ... Clay Miller did not have a good for him as HE IS the WHS man in the middle - 5 points last night not the usual Clay Miller game offensively ... one thing for sure - if an opponent has a weakness - the Warriors WILL exploit it to their advantage ... looking forward to seeing the Blue a few more times as the season moves along - the boys in Blue are a work in progress - the key word is they ARE progressing as a team ... my Logan Purple come calling at the Warrior Dome in February - fun times at Warren High School ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Warren 56 Athens 40 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

... as always aside from the high school basketball the best part about traveling SEOhio is running into the basketball fans from each of the schools participating each night ... I have been going to Warren to watch basketball games for 25 years or more ... since being part of the huddle and SEOPS posting about the Warriors, the coaches, the players I have met so many wonderful people from the Warren community - it was great to talk Warren basketball with the Warren faithful last night ... Coach Maddox joined me in the Cheap Seats during the Freshmen contest - always great to catch up with an old friend and his wife Sally ... such good people ... 93bulldog doing his job with the Athens radio came up to give me a hard time for sitting in the Warren bleachers LOL - THAT ribbing is always expected from 93bulldog who I have known now through jjhuddle/SEOPs for about 19 years ! ... I have a special place in my heart for the BBB Nation - these folks have been with old pfloyd through my battle with cancer and more ... better folks you won't find anywhere ... thanks BBB Nation for the hello's and handshakes last night ... it's always MY pleasure to visit the home of the Warriors ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

19 years ... Jesus, I'm getting old. lol
Sad thing is, we've both witnessed almost all of these losses to Warren. (FIVE of them at Logan alone)
I'm beginning to wonder if it is even possible for the Bulldogs to knock off the Warriors.
If you can't do with Joe, Ibi and Griff on the same court - how can it ever be done? SMH

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 pm 19 years ... Jesus, I'm getting old. lol
Sad thing is, we've both witnessed almost all of these losses to Warren. (FIVE of them at Logan alone)
I'm beginning to wonder if it is even possible for the Bulldogs to knock off the Warriors.
If you can't do with Joe, Ibi and Griff on the same court - how can it ever be done? SMH
... good point ! ... as much as you kid me about Coach Maddox & HIS STAFF (as they have been there with Coach Maddox every step of the time at Warren) ... I think we both agree that Coach Maddox AND his staff do an outstanding job with that program - preparation/game plans/ getting the kids to execute the game plans/during game adjustments ... not many head coaches better or coaching staffs better than what is court side at Warren ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:51 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 pm 19 years ... Jesus, I'm getting old. lol
... good point ! ... as much as you kid me about Coach Maddox & HIS STAFF (as they have been there with Coach Maddox every step of the time at Warren) ... I think we both agree that Coach Maddox AND his staff do an outstanding job with that program - preparation/game plans/ getting the kids to execute the game plans/during game adjustments ... not many head coaches better or coaching staffs better than what is court side at Warren ...
... I think you mentioned the last time Athens beat Warren was with Coach Skinner? wasn't that the same year Coach Skinner got the Coach of the Year Award ?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Last time was 2004. Have no idea who was c.o.y. that long ago. Lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Odd facts:

Athens has just three 1,000 point scorers in the history of the school. Joe Burrow & Griffin Lutz are two of them.
Athens (I think) has had just two D1 players, ever. Steve Bruning & Ibi Watson.

To have Lutz, Burrow, Watson on the same team and to go (0-4) vs Warren is depressing. They lost at the Warrior Dome, 1 at Athens, once in the regionals and the last one at Logan.

Ugh!

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:00 pm Athens 40
Warren 56 a final

... I made the trip to Warren Local for the first time this season - doesn't seem right ! I usually have made at least another trip or have seen Coach Maddox's TEAM before Christmas ... the Warriors due to their own non-league affiliation have to schedule teams that WILL schedule THEM ... the BBB have had to book games with foreign teams - Spring Valley, Parkersburg & Parkersburg South WVa, East district teams - Meadowbrook , Fort Frye (regulars on the WHS schedule), Whitehall in C'bus ... you can see my problem - as much as I want to see the Warriors - I also want to see them playing another SEO District Foe ... with that said last night's match-up would be a good barometer game for Warren vs a SEO quality team ... Coach Cozart's Bulldogs came into the game with an 8-2 record after running off 8 straight W's ... Warren lost it's opening game in OT to the Marietta Tigers AT Marietta in what has been the Tigers best showing of their season ... Athens - an SEO "tall" team with 3 starters at 6-3 & football size "strength" in Eli Chubb, Justin Hynes, Isaiah Butcher ... a hardnosed, scrappy guard in Logan Maxfield ... and a quick hands/quick feet pg in Elijah Williams ... AHS plays their patented 3-2 match-up/trapping zone on the defensive end ... Warren entered the game being somewhat UN-Warrenlike - as they lack that 6-5/6-6 BIG - that seals off your defender, wide wing span guy who they can look too down low when all else isn't going right offensively ... lacking the BIG down low also presents problems at both ends on the boards ... offensively Coach Maddox with his 2 guard dominated team has MANY perimeter options in Noah Nichols/Seth Dennis, Brandon Simonette, Joel Chevalier, Austin Barta with Clay Miller being the loan 6-3'ish big who starts outside and goes into the paint...

... Both teams followed the script in the opening quarter looking to establish what they wanted to do offensively - Athens looked low to Justin Hynes for a couple of fgs and 6th man Brayden Markins added a deuce ... the Warriors vs the AHS zone launched 6 three pointers with Seth Dennis hitting his first attempt and Noah Nichols connecting on a trey and establishing a trend for both teams - Athens turning the ball over (7 TOs in the 1st) and Warren capitalizing with a bucket going the other way - Nichols with the pick and transition bucket ... Warren 10 Athens 8 after 1 ... the biggest napkin stat of the first half was the 2nd foul on AHS pg Elijah Williams ... this put the Bulldog's ball handler - their go to option to get into the paint off the dribble - on the bench ... Athens turned the ball over 5 more times in the 2nd ... Chubb handled the pg position along with Brayden Markins -problem with the 6-3 Chubb handling the ball is he can't throw the ball to himself ! Chubb is/should be one of the inside options for the Bulldogs ! with that said Maxfield hit a trey from the right wing, Hynes and Butcher got easy buckets down low as Warren struggles with match-up vs BIGS in the paint - the good thing for the BBB is they harass you so much on the perimeter it's difficult to run your offense out of traps ... Warren's Noah Nichols was outstanding in the 2nd as he netted 7 more points with a put back bucket among the trees, got fouled and the old fashion "and one" ... off the bench for Coach Maddox came Joel Chevalier to knockdown a couple mid-range shots to help the BBB get a little separation heading into the locker room at half time ... Warren 27 Athens 21 at intermission ... as a Cheap Seat guy I look at all of the similarities/differences etc in teams I see ... Warren is made up of a bunch of basketball size/length/ability athletes - they are basketball players first (although Brandon Simonette is a darn good qb for the football team) while appearances are to me anyway that Athens is a team of athletes who can play any sport they want, good physical size and strength to be excellent football players - which they are - but they are athletes not necessarily "basketball players" ... athletes can in many cases beat "lesser athletes" but are going to struggle vs teams who ARE made up of true "basketball players" - throw in that the Warriros are schooled in the nuances of the game - the fundamentals ... the 3rd quarter showed that "the athletes" from Athens are what athletes ARE - competitors - Eli Chubb , as he has done in the games I have seen Athens play this year, nailed 2 triples from downtown - when he gets to the top of the key area,in rhythm he WILL drain the triple & usually in bunches of 2 or 3 ... Isaiah Butcher added 6 points with a nice up & under reverse layup going baseline ... for Warren Austin Barta hit a trey plus couple FTs, Clay Miller added a bucket and Seth Dennis ended the 3rd with a transition bucket ... Warren 36 Athens hanging around at 33 end of 3 ... as the 3rd quarter played out the Bulldogs were collecting fouls by the wheelbarrow full which effectively had the Warriors shooting FTs in the 4th quarters as Athens who came out in the 3rd playing man to man defensively appeared winded ... teams when they are tired often times stop moving their feet/start using their hands/ are out of position defensively ... enter quarter number 4 - Athens continuing to play man D, Williams picking up his 3rd foul in the 3rd (more bench time - Athens had 7 TOs in the 3rd) ... Brandon Simonette dropped a triple to open the 4th for WHS followed by the Warriors making a parade to the foul line hitting 7 straight FTs ...mix in a Hynes bucket on the blocks ... someone must have put chum in the waters as the Warrior smelling blood with Williams on the bench for Athens the BBB attacked the Bulldogs on the perimeter ... at 7:50 on the clock the score stood at 36-33 Warren ... at 5:24 Warren was up 45-36 with a 9-3 run ( FTs & a transition bucket) ... after 2 straight Warren picks for transition buckets and another FT ... 5-0 run by Warren ... at 4:18 Warriors had put this one away 50-36 ... the Warren bench cleared with :46.3 on the clock ... Warren 56 Athens 40 final

Scoring ... Justin Hynes 11, Isaiah Butcher 11, Logan Maxfield 8, Eli Chubb 6, Elijah Williams 2, Brayden Markins 2
FTs ...... 9/12
TOs ..... 25
PnT ..... 0

... Athens lacks the consistent perimeter scoring to make the inside game effective vs good teams ... the Athens strength is the inside game of Chubb/Hynes/Butcher - none of which gets the touches inside to be MOST effective ... inconsistency on the perimeter both handling the ball - Eli Chubb in the 3 games i have seen Athens IS the best perimeter shooter on the Bulldogs team but in all 3 games he has been forced to be the ballhandler/pg/starter of the offense due to Williams inability to stay out of foul trouble ... Eli Chubb is an offensive threat that SHOULD BE one of the players where the ball "ends up"with not the player starting the offense - he never gets the touches in the places on the floor where he can be the offensive threat he can be/should be/is ... Justin Hynes should be a mid teens scorer every game - when he gets the ball on the block he is hard to handle - he just doesn't see the ball enough ... the best player on the Bulldogs starting rotation who CAN get to the rim off the dribble is Logan Maxfield - few touches other than helping out on the perimeter in bailing out the pgs who aren't pgs ... 25 TOs on the night ... I saw AHS vs Waverly game 2 of the season - 32 TOs ... Warren learned a lot about the Bulldogs in this one ... I wouldn't be surprised they meet again in the Logan Sectional ...

Scoring ... Noah Nichols 18, Austin Barta 15, Seth Dennis 10, Clay Miller 5, Joel Chavelier 4, Brandon Simonette 3, Issac Colgrove 1
3 Pointers ... 4/13 ... Seth Dennis 1, Brandon Simonette 1, Austin Barta 1, Noah Nichols 1
FTs ... 14/18
TOs ... 13

... Coach Maddox played 9 ... when you don't have a roster sheet they ALL look the same on the floor - ALL perimeter people , ALL can contribute on the score/napkin stat sheet ... the first time in awhile I haven't seen that physically strong, go to big man for WHS ... the 26 points in the paint is somewhat of a misnomer as 12 of those were layups off steals - now you're down to 14 points in the paint with 2 more buckets being put backs after misses - that takes it to 5 fgs/10 points in the paint, an even closer look at the napkin stat sheet and 1 of THOSE 5 fgs was a perimeter drive to the bucket for 2 points ... we're left with 4 fgs from designed plays for the Warriors that resulted in points in the paint ... I think we can say Warren is a perimeter oriented offensive team LOL ... Clay Miller did not have a good for him as HE IS the WHS man in the middle - 5 points last night not the usual Clay Miller game offensively ... one thing for sure - if an opponent has a weakness - the Warriors WILL exploit it to their advantage ... looking forward to seeing the Blue a few more times as the season moves along - the boys in Blue are a work in progress - the key word is they ARE progressing as a team ... my Logan Purple come calling at the Warrior Dome in February - fun times at Warren High School ...
Thanks for the recap Pfloyd. Hopefully Athens learned a little and can adjustments if they do meet again in the playoffs.

toldya
Freshman Team

Post by toldya »

Bulldog, man you must be getting old! How can you forget a D-1 BB Player that was a faithful poster on the huddle Mike Wren was scholarship to Miami for BB. I think one of his team mates also went D-1.

I will never be 2old to remember that. Enjoy the Athens history lesson.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

toldya wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 pm Bulldog, man you must be getting old! How can you forget a D-1 BB Player that was a faithful poster on the huddle Mike Wren was scholarship to Miami for BB. I think one of his team mates also went D-1.

I will never be 2old to remember that. Enjoy the Athens history lesson.
Haha I just talked to Mike the other day, duh.
Thanks for the correction.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:00 pm Athens 40
Warren 56 a final

FTs ...... 9/12
TOs ..... 25
PnT ..... 0

FTs ... 14/18
TOs ... 13

He should call coach Collins for a non league game

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Warren and Portsmouth have had some great games.

Return to “Boys Basketball”