Official Suspended by OHSAA

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by formerfcfan »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:47 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:44 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:25 pm

In which I applaud him for. He didn’t decide for the kids the outcome of the game. I would’ve done the same thing.
I think you’re missing a key point here.... you’re acting like the guy decided WhiteOak could wear orange so they didn’t have to forfeit..... But they didn’t have to forfeit. They possessed the white jerseys and had them in the locker room. All they had to do was quickly change. Most teams come in from warmups around the 7-10 minute mark, they could have quickly changed then.
Perhaps I haven’t. Maybe I didn’t understand correctly. Did whiteoak intentionally wear another uniform fornthe sake of gaining an advantage? Because I read wear a technical foul should’ve been called?
Shouldn’t there have been five technical fouls, plus one for every entrant wearing the incorrect jersey?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:50 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:44 pm

I think you’re missing a key point here.... you’re acting like the guy decided WhiteOak could wear orange so they didn’t have to forfeit..... But they didn’t have to forfeit. They possessed the white jerseys and had them in the locker room. All they had to do was quickly change. Most teams come in from warmups around the 7-10 minute mark, they could have quickly changed then.
Perhaps I haven’t. Maybe I didn’t understand correctly. Did whiteoak intentionally wear another uniform fornthe sake of gaining an advantage? Because I read wear a technical foul should’ve been called?
Shouldn’t there have been five technical fouls, plus one for every entrant wearing the incorrect jersey?
That part I’m not sure of.... but it has been said that WhiteOak 100% had all 3 of their Jersey combinations with them. Whether orange is the color they thought they were SUPPOSED to wear, or whether they simply WANTED to wear orange, has yet to be confirmed.

But they did possess the white jerseys.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:56 pm

That part I’m not sure of.... but it has been said that WhiteOak 100% had all 3 of their Jersey combinations with them. Whether orange is the color they thought they were SUPPOSED to wear, or whether they simply WANTED to wear orange, has yet to be confirmed.

Ok then. What happened after that? Did the official approach both coaches of each side and address the issue? Did the opposite team’s coach complain and was he denied for asking them to change the uniforms?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Really why have rules at all ? Something similar has happened two years in a row now. I don't think any advantage was gained, I don't think that was the intent. Every school has apparently signed off on this rule, end of story. Next year what if every school decided to wear there favorite good luck uniform ? Either do what the rule says, or get rid of the rule.

Mr 1000
Waterboy

Post by Mr 1000 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Ok then. What happened after that? Did the official approach both coaches of each side and address the issue? Did the opposite team’s coach complain and was he denied for asking them to change the uniforms?
What happened is the official did not follow a basic rule and allowed the two coaches to decide what they wanted to do. The official had every chance in the world to follow one simple rule and he failed to do so.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Mr 1000 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:14 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:03 pm

What happened is the official did not follow a basic rule and allowed the two coaches to decide what they wanted to do. The official had every chance in the world to follow one simple rule and he failed to do so.
What happens if he enforces the rule? And do you believe this cost the team the win?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

received_974136039448525.jpeg
received_808041159565523.jpeg
received_1675385652564332.jpeg
As everyone can see, each team clearly knows the rules and gave notice that they understood the rules.
The officials are also aware of the rules.
We have rules for a reason. If we let one go because it's "not that big of a deal", then where do we stop?

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

alabama mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:13 pm The official in question should not be the only one punished IMO. The Whiteoak coach and the site administrator should also face some type of sanction. Where is the common sense in all of this?
The site administrator can't override an official. This is on the school involved and the officials who let it happen.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Thanks for the info Orange and Brown. People can now put to rest that it’s a communication problem by the OHSAA/Southeast District Athletic Board. What you posted seems pretty black and white.

This is why I feel like the Coach/AD should receive a more significant punishment than the ref received. Looks like the principal AND Athletic Director signed off on the rules.

So why was there confusion?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 pm
alabama mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:13 pm The official in question should not be the only one punished IMO. The Whiteoak coach and the site administrator should also face some type of sanction. Where is the common sense in all of this?
The site administrator can't override an official. This is on the school involved and the officials who let it happen.
Thanks Orange and Brown! Hopefully this will take care of and clear things up, I won't hold my breath though.

bradyquinnd
Waterboy

Post by bradyquinnd »

After some further thought, Maybe , Maybe the officials should have reprimanded, I can go along with that. But to take away a district and regional game from an official after he has worked his butt off and EARNED these assignments is ridiculous. the OHSAA is just hurting themselves. And they wonder why they cant get officials. what is next? when someone doesn't like a call they send the film to the OHSAA and they start suspending officials? Yea, that will want young people to go get their officiating license. we will hear again in the summer how the OHSAA is hurting for officials and whining and crying about it. Don't feel bad for them at all.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Whiteoak should have just followed the protocol and not put that official in such a position. He should not have been suspended.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

I get that rules exist for a reason. However, should each rule be enforced by the book? Should every bump be called? Should every time a coach is a step out of the coaches box be a technical? I think reasonable minds can say they don't want that. There are many styles of officials. They interpret and choose which calls should be made every night. Like I said, he would go back and change it I'm sure, but the punishment isn't just.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:17 pm I get that rules exist for a reason. However, should each rule be enforced by the book? Should every bump be called? Should every time a coach is a step out of the coaches box be a technical? I think reasonable minds can say they don't want that. There are many styles of officials. They interpret and choose which calls should be made every night. Like I said, he would go back and change it I'm sure, but the punishment isn't just.
If the official would have simply followed the rule and told the school "no, wear your whites like all the other teams" we wouldn't be having this discussion.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:20 pm
bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:17 pm I get that rules exist for a reason. However, should each rule be enforced by the book? Should every bump be called? Should every time a coach is a step out of the coaches box be a technical? I think reasonable minds can say they don't want that. There are many styles of officials. They interpret and choose which calls should be made every night. Like I said, he would go back and change it I'm sure, but the punishment isn't just.
If the official would have simply followed the rule and told the school "no, wear your whites like all the other teams" we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Perhaps. We can argue about rules all day long. My point, from the inception of this thread, was that the punishment does not fit the infraction. I just don't know how anyone could justify it does. The next time a player is in the lane more than 3 seconds, the official who lets it go uncalled should suffer the same fate? It is a rule.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:30 pm
Perhaps. We can argue about rules all day long. My point, from the inception of this thread, was that the punishment does not fit the infraction. I just don't know how anyone could justify it does. The next time a player is in the lane more than 3 seconds, the official who lets it go uncalled should suffer the same fate? It is a rule.
In games calls are often judgement calls. That's why fans see a call differently than an official. This is not.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Orange and Brown, If only you could make this a little more "clear", then "Mayby" everyone could understand ? lol

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:32 pm received_974136039448525.jpegreceived_808041159565523.jpegreceived_1675385652564332.jpeg
As everyone can see, each team clearly knows the rules and gave notice that they understood the rules.
We have rules for a reason. If we let one go because it's "not that big of a deal", then where do we stop?
We stop at common sense. We know the rule. We know it was violated. We know the official should have enforced the rule. No one disputes that but you can’t tell me this would be enforced in a regular season game. Obviously there is a penalty and more than likely when would that penalty be enforced? Someone mentioned that they could’ve made them re dress. Is that the appropriate way enforce the rule? Or is the penalty automatic as soon as they took the floor? Again I have no idea who we are talking about but if he made the decision to allow the uniforms simply based on the fact that it would have cost one team a penalty in which could have decided the game, then I agree with his decision. No one has really told me if both coaches agreed to the decision and if so that even makes me feel like it was the right thing.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:34 pm
bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:30 pm

In games calls are often judgement calls. That's why fans see a call differently than an official. This is not.
I don't know that they are all judgement calls. 3 seconds is fairly universal. Contact is as well. I think i know what you're getting at as I believe you to be knowledgeable and intelligent. However, I think officials have to make tough decisions based upon whether or not those things give a player/team an advantage.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:24 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:32 pm received_974136039448525.jpegreceived_808041159565523.jpegreceived_1675385652564332.jpeg
We stop at common sense. We know the rule. We know it was violated. We know the official should have enforced the rule. No one disputes that but you can’t tell me this would be enforced in a regular season game. Obviously there is a penalty and more than likely when would that penalty be enforced? Someone mentioned that they could’ve made them re dress. Is that the appropriate way enforce the rule? Or is the penalty automatic as soon as they took the floor? Again I have no idea who we are talking about but if he made the decision to allow the uniforms simply based on the fact that it would have cost one team a penalty in which could have decided the game, then I agree with his decision. No one has really told me if both coaches agreed to the decision and if so that even makes me feel like it was the right thing.
From what I know, both coaches were aware of it but, they had their home whites with them so the official should have said no to the orange uni and made them change. They took the floor in the wrong uniform and that should have been an automatic technical.
People think the punishment is unjust (I don't have an opinion either way), but it was an easy thing for the official to tell them to wear the right uniform and this whole mess could have been avoided. It's the district tournament. Hello! lol
The only points I have brought up we're that both teams and the officials knew the rule, and chose not to follow the rule.
I have rules I have to follow at my jobs, their are consequences if I don't follow those rules. It doesn't matter if I think they are unjust punishments or not.
I follow the rules so I don't have to worry about it.
The entire situation should never have happened.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Boys Basketball”