Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2019-20 ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2019-20 ...

Post by Ironman92 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:43 pm Rio scrimmage - Fairland results vs Warren/Jackson/Fairfield Union
  1. Fairland 16 - 7 Warren
  2. Jackson 14 - 9 Fairland
  3. Fairland 12 - 11 Fairfield Union
  4. Fairland 15 - 8 Warren
  5. Jackson 17 - 9 Fairland
  6. Fairland 14 - 11 Fairfield Union
All about the match ups!

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Warren is going to struggle a bunch with Dennis out. He was the key to the whole season. Without him, we’ll be rough, especially with our schedule.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Starting to put in schedules, Floyd

By far the one that stands out the most is Alexander

at Southeastern
D2 Athens
Adena
at Ironton Classic (Ironton)
at Waverly (Western Pike)
at Waverly (tourn TBA)
D2 Chillicothe
D2 Vinton County
at Chesapeake Beasts (Eastern Brown)
D2 at Jackson
D2 at Athens
D2 Warren
at Trimble
D2 at Vinton County

* 14 pretty good games - and MEIGS is no slouch x2.

WWBBB
Freshman Team

Post by WWBBB »

beg003 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm Warren is going to struggle a bunch with Dennis out. He was the key to the whole season. Without him, we’ll be rough, especially with our schedule.
Surely Warren has enough to not struggle that much because of one player?? U make it sound like he was all they had!!

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

WWBBB wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:20 pm
beg003 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm Warren is going to struggle a bunch with Dennis out. He was the key to the whole season. Without him, we’ll be rough, especially with our schedule.
Surely Warren has enough to not struggle that much because of one player?? U make it sound like he was all they had!!
I’m not sure. This is the thinnest we’ve been in a long time. I hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look good.

WWBBB
Freshman Team

Post by WWBBB »

Simoniette can surely carry them with his shooting. The other seniors should be okay, and the juniors that are left arent scrubs are they?? I was thinking a few years ago the boys in the junior class now were virtually unbeatable, I may be wrong though.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

WWBBB wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:31 pm Simoniette can surely carry them with his shooting. The other seniors should be okay, and the juniors that are left arent scrubs are they?? I was thinking a few years ago the boys in the junior class now were virtually unbeatable, I may be wrong though.
I think we’ll have a hard time getting the ball up the floor personally. Teams will pressure us and I don’t know if we can handle it. The other seniors are very inexperienced and so are the juniors really. None of them got significant PT last year. Welch broke his hand in Week 10 and is out for a good bit. The early season will be tough because of this. This isn’t a Warren team from 3,4, or 5 years ago and fans should know that going in. We just don’t have the sheer amount of talent in the system we did then.

WWBBB
Freshman Team

Post by WWBBB »

Wow!!! surprised you think they wont be able to get the ball upcourt if pressured. I thought they had a few guards behind Dennis, cant Simoniette get it up the floor??

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

WWBBB wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:51 pm Wow!!! surprised you think they wont be able to get the ball upcourt if pressured. I thought they had a few guards behind Dennis, cant Simoniette get it up the floor??
They struggled last year when Seth didn’t bring it up. Inexperience and pressure usually don’t mix.

WWBBB
Freshman Team

Post by WWBBB »

I saw most of last years games, didnt think guards were to bad behind him, they just seemed to rely on Dennis, now that they cant I would look for some of those boys to step it up, just like past Warrior squads!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... less than 2 weeks now until the first games tip off on the 29th ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Not sure any team in the preseason rankings have the 'potential' to move up more than the Alexander Spartans, currently sitting at #16. Based on schedule.

Sparty will get to face:

The #1 team (Chillicothe) in the Alley on Jan. 3rd.
They play at #4 Jackson on Jan. 21st.
Welcome #7 Warren to The Alley Jan. 31st.
Play at #12 Trimble on Feb. 8th.
Face #13 Eastern Brown at The Beasts of the Southeast.
Take on #14 Adena in Albany here soon on Dec. 13th.
Play #17 Ironton at Ironton Classic.
Will face #20 Meigs twice
Have a potential date with #22 Waverly at the Pike County Inv.
Play #28 Vinton County twice
Play #31 Athens twice.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:56 am Not sure any team in the preseason rankings have the 'potential' to move up more than the Alexander Spartans, currently sitting at #16. Based on schedule.

Sparty will get to face:

The #1 team (Chillicothe) in the Alley on Jan. 3rd.
They play at #4 Jackson on Jan. 21st.
Welcome #7 Warren to The Alley Jan. 31st.
Play at #12 Trimble on Feb. 8th.
Face #13 Eastern Brown at The Beasts of the Southeast.
Take on #14 Adena in Albany here soon on Dec. 13th.
Play #17 Ironton at Ironton Classic.
Will face #20 Meigs twice
Have a potential date with #22 Waverly at the Pike County Inv.
Play #28 Vinton County twice
Play #31 Athens twice.
... 93dog - Alexander is where they are for a couple of reasons based on how I looked at the Spartans coming into this season 1) a lot of the AHS success for this year hinges on Caleb Terry being what he has not yet been - a dominant player at both ends of the floor (please this is NOT a knock on Caleb - I am one who hopes HE IS AS DOMINANT AS HE SHOULD BE WITH HIS 6-10ish body- he has signed a letter of intent to play at the next level at a small college in Nashville - I wish him a great senior season and a great next level career) ... 2) my second point - which I see as the biggest reason Alex is at #16 to start- is AHS lost some outstanding players to graduation! - Stone Markins, Dylan Mecum, Kameron Riley ... hardnosed/talented/did those things that Caleb was not doing maybe because of these guys ... I need to see who fills Markins/Mecum/Riley's spots _ my guess Easley/Schaller/Brown/Chapman/Rice will step into the vacated roles ... 93dog - I just want to see the 2019Edition Spartans before giving them the love they will earn especially with THAT menu of games - Chilli/Jackson/Warren/Trimble/Eastern Brown/Adena/Ironton WOw!!! pfloyd will be in the cheap seats for MANY of these matchups - lots of opportunities for AHS to pass the eye test for sure ...

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I think Alex has 8, maybe 9 seniors on the team.

Matt Brown is your guy to replace production by Stone AND Kam. Lengthy wing who can shoot & rebound.

Depth is Alex greatest strength. J.K. can come off the floor & Easley steps right in no problem. Pull Caleb off & Chapman can man the middle for periods of time.

They have athletes, size, scorers, best PG in the league ,,, I forsee them hovering in the 8-11 range on your rankings all winter with a district championship as one of the goals in 2019/2020.

basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Post by basketball12349 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:59 pm I think Alex has 8, maybe 9 seniors on the team.

Matt Brown is your guy to replace production by Stone AND Kam. Lengthy wing who can shoot & rebound.

Depth is Alex greatest strength. J.K. can come off the floor & Easley steps right in no problem. Pull Caleb off & Chapman can man the middle for periods of time.

They have athletes, size, scorers, best PG in the league ,,, I forsee them hovering in the 8-11 range on your rankings all winter with a district championship as one of the goals in 2019/2020.
I agree with all of this. Though we cannot forget about the upcoming freshman, Kyler D'Augustino, he will add solid time in alexanders games.

downatthehalf
Waterboy

Post by downatthehalf »

We drove down to watch this shoot out on Saturday. Not seeing anything about who I consider the best group in this bunch would be Fairland. I was interested to see if they could fill the gap left by their to power house seniors Mondlak and Chin. Much to my surprise they have and looks like they are 8 deep. Not seeing any drop in performance with the rotations. Looks like the slow patient offense has been traded for a fast paced run and gun led by Porter and Williams. Fairland handled Warren and FU with little problem. Tho the score reflects differently, my opinion is that Jackson would never be able to play that style defense in a regular season game with good officiating. I believe Jackson would have had 3 players on the bench in foul trouble in the first quarter, especially one with a chest bumping defense. Fairland did sub their far end bench while playing Jackson. I see Fairland not having any trouble in the OVC as most of the better talent senioring out. My ranking of the four would be a toss up between Fairland and Jackson hard lean towards Fairland and then FU then Warren.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

downatthehalf wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:40 pm We drove down to watch this shoot out on Saturday. Not seeing anything about who I consider the best group in this bunch would be Fairland. I was interested to see if they could fill the gap left by their to power house seniors Mondlak and Chin. Much to my surprise they have and looks like they are 8 deep. Not seeing any drop in performance with the rotations. Looks like the slow patient offense has been traded for a fast paced run and gun led by Porter and Williams. Fairland handled Warren and FU with little problem. Tho the score reflects differently, my opinion is that Jackson would never be able to play that style defense in a regular season game with good officiating. I believe Jackson would have had 3 players on the bench in foul trouble in the first quarter, especially one with a chest bumping defense. Fairland did sub their far end bench while playing Jackson. I see Fairland not having any trouble in the OVC as most of the better talent senioring out. My ranking of the four would be a toss up between Fairland and Jackson hard lean towards Fairland and then FU then Warren.
So 31-18 over 2 quarters for Jackson vs Fairland. I think we have maybe 1 kid that has fouled out in a varsity game maybe 1 time. Fairfield Union was a tough match up for us. Fairland was the easiest match up.

downatthehalf
Waterboy

Post by downatthehalf »

So who won the last real matchup between these two teams, annnnd you had Tralyn. I feel certain Coach could revert back to a more conservative offense and get it done, again. Fairland had no issues with FU with wins over half. Fairland didn’t press until the last matchup with FU witch left FU struggling to get the ball across half court.
Again my original post was just my opinion which I thought was what Pfloyd asked for. It doesn’t look like it’s in the books for a real game between these two amazing teams, but I wish there was. Then I would settle itself and would be an amazing high intensity game. And on the foul out issue. I never said foul out, but I’ve seen enough Bball to know that the refs where letting a lot go which is good in a preseason game, but it’s what got you through the matchup. Just my opinion.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

downatthehalf wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:08 pm So who won the last real matchup between these two teams, annnnd you had Tralyn. I feel certain Coach could revert back to a more conservative offense and get it done, again. Fairland had no issues with FU with wins over half. Fairland didn’t press until the last matchup with FU witch left FU struggling to get the ball across half court.
Again my original post was just my opinion which I thought was what Pfloyd asked for. It doesn’t look like it’s in the books for a real game between these two amazing teams, but I wish there was. Then I would settle itself and would be an amazing high intensity game. And on the foul out issue. I never said foul out, but I’ve seen enough Bball to know that the refs where letting a lot go which is good in a preseason game, but it’s what got you through the matchup. Just my opinion.
Different teams man.

Jackson only started 2 of their 5 starters vs Fairland and played 10 players.....2 of top 8 players were running scorer’s table as they are injured. Same as you guys. Jackson 31-18 in a half, maybe you guys win the next half by 14....but I don’t see it. You yourself said they play a fast paced game....why is that? Would you be as good as last year if current team played slow? Hard to say either way. Last year doesn’t matter and honestly this scrimmage didn’t either. It was a good scrimmage.

Coach Speed does a tremendous job. I really like watching Porter and Thomas for you guys and have been watching them since 5th grade. Nice group of players and best of luck to you guys this season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”