Ironton boys basketball job?

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Ironton boys basketball job?

Post by art_vandelay »

Bobevans wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 am Nothing at all against LaFon but I think a lot of coaches arent interested because he will still be there. Hire McKnight and be done with it and nothing changes and all will be happy
Could definitely see that being an issue with the old coach still hanging around as the AD. Surprised this job has taken this long to get filled and apparently Ironton basketball wasn't as desired of a job by name coaches as I had figured. Before anybody starts freaking out though, Pendleton was like Ironton's 4th choice for the football job and he looks like he building a powerhouse at Ironton.*

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Ironton at one time would have been a desired job, but not at this point. When you cant win the OVC on a consistent basis it eont be desirable. Looking at the teams in the OVC in this area I would have to pick Fairland or Chesapeake as the most desirable at this point

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

Bobevans wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:54 am Ironton at one time would have been a desired job, but not at this point. When you cant win the OVC on a consistent basis it eont be desirable. Looking at the teams in the OVC in this area I would have to pick Fairland or Chesapeake as the most desirable at this point
The right coach will get them going again, just like Pendleton in football. Its not always the old school veteran these days, young & dynamic is the right fit for many places with unique circumstances.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Young and dynamic only works if he’s a good coach. Be careful what you wish for. Some are in love with the young coach, how about a proven coach who’s been through the battles successfully !

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Absolutely

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Still cannot believe this job has been filled with an experience and good coach. Oh how times have changed.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Kinda tells you where the Ironton program has gone. Just ssying. I think the big problem is not having a teaching job. They were lucky that Pendleton didnt need a job or they would never have gotten him. I think Ironton will have to settle for who they can get. Pretty sorry

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

I think Ironton has held out long enougenough.They can know give the job to McKnight. By them doing this it will allow LaFon to come back when he's finished coaching his daughter for the next two years in Travel Ball. It kind of sums up why no one wants the job

E High
All State

Post by E High »

So daddy get to coach his daughter, then come back and be the head coach in 2 years ? If that’s the case, you wonder what’s wrong with hiring HS coaches who are about their kid and not the program. That’s what most parents do today. It’s not about the program, it’s about the kid. The best parents are there before, during and after their kid is there. Sign of the times !

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

Not sure Lafon will come back in 2 years especially if the Board changes. I would think in 2 years the job should be very attractive with some pretty good players on the rise . But then again why has this position not been taken care of ? Puzzling to say the least.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Good luck Ironton. Wish you the best. Sad that finding the right coach is really hard today 👍

BobcatFuture1
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatFuture1 »

They’ll hire McKnight, they are just biding time for whatever reason.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

BobcatFuture1 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:02 pm They’ll hire McKnight, they are just biding time for whatever reason.
I sure hope for Ironton’s sake that your wrong if that’s the JV coach. Hopefully they hire someone not from there and he doesn’t hire any of Lafon’s assistants especially after they acted the way they did up here at our game. But if they have dragged it out this long your probably right then Bobcat! Good luck with that Ironton.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

They want McKnight to have the job so LaFon can come back later. I know of a past assistant that would probably take the job for a couple years that has the experience to handle the job, but he would do it his way and not LaFons. The biggest problem for him would be to find assistants. I doubt he would keep who is there now.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

I'm sure Ironton appreciates all of the wonderful advice and insights from their brethren in Gallia County on selection of a new boys basketball coach, especially when you consider that Gallia Academy has brought home 6 wins from The Convo in the last 50 years, compared to 46 wins (Districts and Regionals) by the Fighting Tigers. Have they got you guys on retainer yet?

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:43 pm I'm sure Ironton appreciates all of the wonderful advice and insights from their brethren in Gallia County on selection of a new boys basketball coach, especially when you consider that Gallia Academy has brought home 6 wins from The Convo in the last 50 years, compared to 46 wins (Districts and Regionals) by the Fighting Tigers. Have they got you guys on retainer yet?
Thanks for the knowledge pembrook and your right! Therefore, if Ironton is such a dominant basketball program why are they having problems filling that position with a more seasoned and accomplished coach instead of wanting to settle for a JV coach? At least give us some knowledge on them having a hard time filling such a high position at a prestige basketball school? Hope to hear from you soon.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

It's all been said previously. They want McKnight so he will relinquish the job when LaFon wants to come back. No other coach they hire would probably do that except the one that I know that was a past assistant years back. Other than that they are stuck with who they have to pick from.

theblessedone33
Waterboy

Post by theblessedone33 »

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

theblessedone33 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm https://twitter.com/voiceothetigers/sta ... 83168?s=21

PJ Fitch Hired
If this is true. It’s a solid hire for Ironton.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

GalliaTribe wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:36 pm
theblessedone33 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm https://twitter.com/voiceothetigers/sta ... 83168?s=21

PJ Fitch Hired
If this is true. It’s a solid hire for Ironton.
This is true, welcome to Tigertown Coach Fitch, good luck leading the Fighting Tigers.

Return to “Boys Basketball”