Do you think the OHSAA should look into Shot Clocks for High School Basketball?

Valenth
SEOP

Do you think the OHSAA should look into Shot Clocks for High School Basketball?

Post by Valenth »

I say yes. 35 Seconds seems like a reasonable time ammount. The "Hold n Pass" to slow down the tempo just ruins the game excitement as a whole.

Your thoughts?

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Re: Do you think the OHSAA should look into Shot Clocks for High School Basketball?

Post by winningaintcheap »

Being that the ncaa just transitioned away from 35 this season, I think 40 would be a much more realistic count for the high school level.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Do you think the OHSAA should look into Shot Clocks for High School Basketball?

Post by formerfcfan »

"[why OHSAA isn't going to institute the shot clock] NATIONAL Rule. Ohio cannot adopt [the shot clock] even if we wanted to." - Jerry Snodgrass

As to what I think: I've done the clock for years. I take pride in doing it well, I've worked plenty of times on an old Daktronics 5100/all sports series control console that has worn out and lost its sensitivity to the touch. I'll hit the stop button a couple times to make sure it is stopped, because I know there are times where I'll press it and I don't hear the ping letting me know the clock has stopped. I know the possession arrow rules well. I see people not pay attention to the game do the clock, I see people that don't look for the signal to chop the clock. I've sat behind the table a few times in the stands and see the operator hit the stop button only to see that the clock is still running (because they thought it stopped upon hitting it, not always the case!). Some of these are honest mistakes (we all make them), some of these are people not knowing w.t.f. they're doing. Regardless, perfect/near-perfect clock operating and arrow switching is imperative for all high school games, but especially varsity.

A shot clock is one more thing a person can screw up doing. I say "no". Plus, they're bound to be pretty expensive.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

CGHornet55
Freshman Team

Post by CGHornet55 »

The problem you run into with this is cost. Just look around at how many high schools have play clocks on their football fields? Not very many.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

Other states do it and I believe Ohio has looked into it for awhile. I think it will happen, just not sure when. :35 is too quick for high school. I agree :45 is adequate. I think a separate shot clock operator would be a necessity.

VC_jebro17
Waterboy

Post by VC_jebro17 »

I think this is a must and needs to happen! :35 is sufficient; I agree that the cost may have an impact but that can be taken care of with sponsors!

Jebro_17
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

i've always said there needs to be a shot clock and that video is a prime example

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
markymark1969
Freshman Team

Post by markymark1969 »

Both sides make valid points, but I think it will eventually happen and I think it has to. There would be some "bugs" to work out at the beginning just like with anything, but that too would work itself out. I like the :45 idea.

oldref
Waterboy

Post by oldref »

Basketball is a game between 2 teams, both trying to win. If you put in a shot clock you are telling the less talented team they shouldn't try to win, just run up and down the court and let the fastest team look good. The game is for the players and not to make the FANS feel good.

Basketball:30
Riding the Bench

Post by Basketball:30 »

oldref wrote:Basketball is a game between 2 teams, both trying to win. If you put in a shot clock you are telling the less talented team they shouldn't try to win, just run up and down the court and let the fastest team look good. The game is for the players and not to make the FANS feel good.
Agreed. We shouldn't change rules to make the game more exciting. High school athletics should not be like the NCAA and NBA, where they try to make any dollar they can.

If teams want to play "stall ball" and the opponent doesn't like it--then how about that opponent grow some kahunas, play pressure defense, and do something about it.

The way high school basketball is played, is the reason I love watching it 1000x more than any NBA or college game. It is pure strategy, guts, and glory. We do not need to try to market HS basketball to make an extra buck or two at the gate. That would only be the reason for this shot clock--"I know what we'll do to make more money! We'll add a shot clock and make games with more shots and higher scores! That'll bring more reven....oops, I mean fans!"

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I would love to see a 40 second shot clock.

I would love to see someone sit and watch a few games and time the average possession to see just how long it is.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

What some of you forget is, if you put in a shot clock then it must be used for both boys and girls, 7th grade to varsity. Its pretty obvious some of you are only concerned with varsity boys, could you imagine watching jr hi teams trying to run sets with a clock running down! Now imagine the cost of installing it in every gym, most use 2 gyms for jr hi and high school. Now, you add another person running the clock and new officials at the lower levels having to learn to officiate it!

As for the video, play defense and force pressure.

If you add a shot clock you are taking another tool for some coaches to use to give their team the best chance to win! That is what it is about, young people playing a game they love with a chance to win, not some overweight never was any good old fart wanting to see people run up and down scoring points!

Burg Bias
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Bias »

I don't like the shot clock for high school. A less talented team can be very deliberate and force the more talented team to play defense. It is the only thing that the underdog has when trying to upset a better team. Control the tempo. A team can reduce the number of possessions so that the more talented team can't simply out score them. I hope OHSAA doesn't take that away from the sport.

triplethreat
Waterboy

Post by triplethreat »

Burg Bias wrote:I don't like the shot clock for high school. A less talented team can be very deliberate and force the more talented team to play defense. It is the only thing that the underdog has when trying to upset a better team. Control the tempo. A team can reduce the number of possessions so that the more talented team can't simply out score them. I hope OHSAA doesn't take that away from the sport.
I agree! A shot clock would result in many more "blow outs"

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Burg Bias wrote:I don't like the shot clock for high school. A less talented team can be very deliberate and force the more talented team to play defense. It is the only thing that the underdog has when trying to upset a better team. Control the tempo. A team can reduce the number of possessions so that the more talented team can't simply out score them. I hope OHSAA doesn't take that away from the sport.
Completely agree.

The link above shows a team pulling the ball out to the corners and running off a substantial amount of time. The link above shows the defense sitting in their 2-3 zone simply watching. Ummm here is an idea, go out and defend the four corner stall and get the ball back. No one said you need to simply wait there for 8 minutes and look at them hold the ball.

Persin is a genius at this and has probably beat more teams that were "better" by simply getting a lead and then taking the air out of the ball and slowing it down and trying to keep that lead differential. Many coaches are forced to use any number of strategies to get a "W". Quit whining and man-up and go play defense and pressure the ball.

Just my opinion, but I am not a fan of a change adding a shot clock.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I agree with some others above. If you don't like a team playing deliberately, pressure the ball and get it back! No shot clock is needed in high school or junior high.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

If no shot clock is wanted then why have the 10 second violation? Why not just use the whole court whenever you wanted to?

How long would a greatly ran possession take? If you can't make a shot towards the basket in 45 seconds....you aren't running an offense.

High school officials have kept the play clock in football forever....I do not see any issue with a referee having a timing mechanism and blowing his whistle when it hit 45 seconds.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Ironman92 wrote:If no shot clock is wanted then why have the 10 second violation? Why not just use the whole court whenever you wanted to?

How long would a greatly ran possession take? If you can't make a shot towards the basket in 45 seconds....you aren't running an offense.

High school officials have kept the play clock in football forever....I do not see any issue with a referee having a timing mechanism and blowing his whistle when it hit 45 seconds.
1. The same reason you can't run with the ball without dribbling, some rules have been around forever.

2. The point is you will be forced to run an offense if you play a four corner type of stall and the defense pressures the ball, it is turned over and they score. Once it is 20-0 (or 2-0 for that matter) playing a stall offense is not an option you must score, so by default the game speeds up.

3. Lol, so the referee has a timing mechanism but the players playing don't have access to it? You need a clock, visible on both ends, and I think that simply adds another item to manage by either the scorer or another referee not on the court that is responsible for that function. Plus the cost of the equipment, which probably in the whole scheme of things isn't that costly for most HS's.

Stall offenses don't work when you aren't leading bottom line. I have watched a lot of games and maybe 10 games in all of those I have thought the game was "unwatchable" due to stalling. Just not an overwhelming reason to change in my opinion.

But I bet it happens because it is all about entertainment value...probably 3 years away from seeing.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Yes the sooner the better. 40 seconds, OSHAA makes enough off of games have them chip in some cash.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The money issue is a cop out. It's 2015-16....it can be done without bankrupting the school district. I know the poorest of schools with those $5,000-$10,000 shooting/rebounding machines.

Players play during the potential 10 second violation and the 5 second violation and the 3 second violation...football prepared during a 25-30 second violation....however do they do it? They play and get the sense for it. No big deal. How many quick passes and screens are necessary for the offensive strategy? It would never ever be a problem with 45 seconds whether they could see it or not....as long as they are actively running an offense and attempting to score (the stall then would be around 30 seconds and then they'd want to really get into attempting to score)

I can fully understand not wanting it...just an opinion. I like how it is now but would prefer a shot clock. I'm not buying the inability to pay for it or manage it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”