WCH coach placed on administrative leave

mattash
Site Admin

Re: WCH coach placed on administrative leave

Post by mattash »

They wouldn't let him take the test? He shouldn't be suspended then. How can they prove it.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mattash wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:40 pm They wouldn't let him take the test? He shouldn't be suspended then. How can they prove it.
I don’t think the allegation was denied but it's just how the whole thing went down that’s just a bit fishy

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

Coach made a bad judgement call by doing a ritual with his assistants he did at another district he had coached. It was a “here’s to a great season.” A man of his size would have to do this 5 or 6 times to be under the influence. He admitted what he did and no one, except administration, thought he was under the influence of alcohol. From what I hear, Parents and players aren’t happy at all of how this was handled. The fact that others were involved and only one sent home and publicly shamed, administration is probably trying to cover their tracts now. Mistake was made but this was totally blown out of proportion. Hope a great young man’s career isn’t ruined by over zealous Asmi istrotors.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Was the drink or drinking done on school property or somewhere off grounds much earlier? Depending on where and when this took place is the real issue. Doesn't sound like he was a mess or needs help as some have implied. Hopefully it works out for the best and this is a misunderstanding.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

That sounds more like the truth.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

KRS wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 pm Was the drink or drinking done on school property or somewhere off grounds much earlier? Depending on where and when this took place is the real issue. Doesn't sound like he was a mess or needs help as some have implied. Hopefully it works out for the best and this is a misunderstanding.
He was on property. Very dumb to do but blown out of proportion as most things are these days.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

mlittle wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:00 pm
KRS wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 pm Was the drink or drinking done on school property or somewhere off grounds much earlier? Depending on where and when this took place is the real issue. Doesn't sound like he was a mess or needs help as some have implied. Hopefully it works out for the best and this is a misunderstanding.
He was on property. Very dumb to do but blown out of proportion as most things are these days.
I agree it is probably being blown out of proportion and a stupid mistake but if it was done on school property I would imagine he will no longer be coaching.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

KRS wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:06 pm
I agree it is probably being blown out of proportion and a stupid mistake but if it was done on school property I would imagine he will no longer be coaching.
I would concur. Right, wrong, or indifferent.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Sounds like how it was handled was worse than the happening itself.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

No excuse if this was done on school property.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

smurray wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:37 pm No excuse if this was done on school property.
I don’t think anyone is condoning or defending the action that started everything but more so how things were handled after the fact.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ed Ott wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 pm
smurray wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:37 pm No excuse if this was done on school property.
I don’t think anyone is condoning or defending the action that started everything but more so how things were handled after the fact.
Exactly

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

When in a supervisory role with students, drinking alcohol, even a little is an absolute no-no and grounds for dismissal and losing ones teaching license. I do not know this coach, and this sounds like a one shot deal a year, but you simply cannot have alcohol on school property or consume while working with kids. Very unfortunate. As for how anything was handled, not being there, I cannot say. However, by law if another teacher or administrator knew of the situation they are mandatory reporters and must immediately report the situation. Like this or not, that is State Law, and failing to do so would jeopardize that persons educators licenses as well.

Best of luck to this young man that there is some forgiveness in the system that is the ORC and ODE.
Last edited by thebarlowbandit on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:20 pm
When in a supervisory role with students, drinking alcohol, even a little is an absolute no-no and grounds for dismissal and losing ones teaching license. I do not know this coach, and this sounds like a one shot deal a year, but you simply cannot have alcohol on school property or consume while working with kids. Very unfortunate.
I don’t disagree

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Wow. Witch-hunt again ! Political correctness has ruined this country. Many always want somebody fired. It called innocent until proven guilty ! He would not lose his teaching license over drinking. State (ODE) law. I hope the administration/ school board has a hair or 2. They usually don’t. The man deserves a 2nd chance unless this was completely over the top !

thebarlowbandit
All State

E High wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:46 am Wow. Witch-hunt again ! Political correctness has ruined this country. Many always want somebody fired. It called innocent until proven guilty ! He would not lose his teaching license over drinking. State (ODE) law. I hope the administration/ school board has a hair or 2. They usually don’t. The man deserves a 2nd chance unless this was completely over the top !
He is innocent until proven guilty, that is exactly why he’s been suspended with pay. According to the articles this coach/teacher is being given his due process. And yes, drinking on school property is a serious offense that “could” result in suspension to termination. This isn’t having a beer at Johnny’s Corner Pub and showing up to the game. Feel free to read the educators code of conduct yourself. Used to practice a little workplace law earlier in my career before switching to the oil and gas industry dealing with contracts.

thebarlowbandit
All State

E High wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:46 am Wow. Witch-hunt again ! Political correctness has ruined this country. Many always want somebody fired. It called innocent until proven guilty ! He would not lose his teaching license over drinking. State (ODE) law. I hope the administration/ school board has a hair or 2. They usually don’t. The man deserves a 2nd chance unless this was completely over the top !
And please explain how consuming alcohol at school is a victim of “political correctness”.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

He made a mistake, obviously. If he drank in or off school property and went to a practice or game that is very serious. We all have opinions. I’ve always been in the corner of 2nd chances. In the public sector that rarely happens, in the private sector you sometimes do. I get the different, but not sure that’s fair !

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

E High wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am He made a mistake, obviously. If he drank in or off school property and went to a practice or game that is very serious. We all have opinions. I’ve always been in the corner of 2nd chances. In the public sector that rarely happens, in the private sector you sometimes do. I get the different, but not sure that’s fair !
But your original comments appear to be off base. Witch hunt, political correctness? This was done on school property, that’s serious - not opinion. However, he has not been fired and is receiving due process. Does everyone deserve second chances, YES indeed.
This will be and is being investigated, they do not appear to be rushing to judgement. I’m sure they are consulting with legal counsel as well.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

My pee wee coaches always came to the games smelling like alcohol. We still won a lot of games

Return to “Boys Basketball”