Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #2

SOC94
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #2

Post by SOC94 »

They game today has went so far away from a traditional post player as well. Everyone wants to run and gun with the 3s. I just am old school and like watching a kid with good foot work be able to score with his back to the basket.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SOC94 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:36 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:54 pm
SOC94 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:44 pm

If Jackson goes 2-2 (I’m thinking 1-3) in those four games I’ll be really surprised. Everyone knows that Wallis is the guy that makes them go but I’m not sold on this Jackson team from watching a few scrimmages. Any team with a decent big will give them fits. I watched them scrimmage Oak Hill and Hammond has his way with them. I know he’s a lot to handle but Jackson losing the big kid really hurt them in my opinion. Might be stating the obvious but there ya are.
Decent big will give them fits....that’s not accurate. North Adams had 6’5 McCorkle and Miami Trace had a 6’5, 6’6 and a 6’7 and 2 were in at all times. The 6’6 kid pretty skilled. We won those games just fine. Waverly has a good 6’5 and 6’4 and MT beat them by 9.

Jackson tied Fairfield Union in scrimmage and FU is big across the board. Beat Bloom Carrol who has a real good big kid.

Scrimmages are just that. Hammond is very good. A decent big isn’t going to beat Jackson though in a game.

Stinks OH and Jackson couldn’t have played at Rio instead of the opponents they faced.

Jackson struggled to win at Hillsboro. Hillsboro lost by 60 at Eastern Brown and Hillsboro doesn’t even have a big...but made 10 or 11 3’s and man they were inspired.

Jackson hasn’t played a tough schedule thus far and our style often doesn’t win by the margin many expect. Jackson has holes like every team does....also have a couple key players returning soon.

I’ll be surprised if they go 1-3 in that tougher stretch
Def agree the match between OH and Jackson would be a good game. I agree that a team with just a decent big won’t beat Jackson. Jackson’s guard play is what makes them go. Height doesn’t make you a decent big. I haven’t saw a decent post player other than Hammond in southern Ohio. But a team like oak hill with decent guards and a good big will give Jackson fits because of a lack of size. That’s all I was getting at. I think the only given win of those four games for Jackson is Minford. I haven’t saw Unioto play but I know they are always tough. Burg is big and I’ll know more about them tomorrow night after they play Oak Hill. I don’t believe that Jackson is within 10 of Chillicothe. So losses to Burg and Chilli, toss up with Unioto, and a win at Minford.
We disagree on the meaning of “decent”....I promise that McCorkle of NA and the 6’6 MT are at least decent. I would label Hammond as excellent.

What teams have you seen?....Hammond only decent post player you’ve seen.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SOC94 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:39 pm They game today has went so far away from a traditional post player as well. Everyone wants to run and gun with the 3s. I just am old school and like watching a kid with good foot work be able to score with his back to the basket.
That’s plenty fair too.

The NBA and metrics have trickled down and just the fun of the 3 vs the banging with the big bodies in the post.

Apparently a 3 point shot yields around 1.2 points per shot attempt while getting the ball to a post player being guarded from behind yields something like .76 points per attempt.

There are numerous factors. I respect your view.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Decent big will give them fits....that’s not accurate. North Adams had 6’5 McCorkle and Miami Trace had a 6’5, 6’6 and a 6’7 and 2 were in at all times. The 6’6 kid pretty skilled. We won those games just fine. Waverly has a good 6’5 and 6’4 and MT beat them by 9.

Jackson tied Fairfield Union in scrimmage and FU is big across the board. Beat Bloom Carrol who has a real good big kid.

Scrimmages are just that. Hammond is very good. A decent big isn’t going to beat Jackson though in a game.

Stinks OH and Jackson couldn’t have played at Rio instead of the opponents they faced.

Jackson struggled to win at Hillsboro. Hillsboro lost by 60 at Eastern Brown and Hillsboro doesn’t even have a big...but made 10 or 11 3’s and man they were inspired.

Jackson hasn’t played a tough schedule thus far and our style often doesn’t win by the margin many expect. Jackson has holes like every team does....also have a couple key players returning soon.

I’ll be surprised if they go 1-3 in that tougher stretch
Def agree the match between OH and Jackson would be a good game. I agree that a team with just a decent big won’t beat Jackson. Jackson’s guard play is what makes them go. Height doesn’t make you a decent big. I haven’t saw a decent post player other than Hammond in southern Ohio. But a team like oak hill with decent guards and a good big will give Jackson fits because of a lack of size. That’s all I was getting at. I think the only given win of those four games for Jackson is Minford. I haven’t saw Unioto play but I know they are always tough. Burg is big and I’ll know more about them tomorrow night after they play Oak Hill. I don’t believe that Jackson is within 10 of Chillicothe. So losses to Burg and Chilli, toss up with Unioto, and a win at Minford.
We disagree on the meaning of “decent”....I promise that McCorkle of NA and the 6’6 MT are at least decent. I would label Hammond as excellent.

I see your point as our meaning of decent maybe a little different. Decent to me for a post player would be being able to establish position in the post and be able to consistently make a drop step or move to where the other team is forced to double non-stop, making the right plays as keeping it or kicking it out, beating a double team. I guess in today’s game that would be more along the lines of above average to great. Kids have seemed to lose the ability to do that. I don’t know a lot about most the teams above Chillicothe. But below Chillicothe I have at least an idea of what bigs are in the area. I know the big for New Boston is tough. There’s big kids in the area but a lot don’t know what to do with their size. I take your word on the kid for MT and NA. I enjoy reading your posts.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SOC94 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm

I see your point as our meaning of decent maybe a little different. Decent to me for a post player would be being able to establish position in the post and be able to consistently make a drop step or move to where the other team is forced to double non-stop, making the right plays as keeping it or kicking it out, beating a double team. I guess in today’s game that would be more along the lines of above average to great. Kids have seemed to lose the ability to do that. I don’t know a lot about most the teams above Chillicothe. But below Chillicothe I have at least an idea of what bigs are in the area. I know the big for New Boston is tough. There’s big kids in the area but a lot don’t know what to do with their size. I take your word on the kid for MT and NA. I enjoy reading your posts.
Good discussion. Thanks

Nice to have a civil and reasonable back and forth. It’s not difficult but many can’t do it.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:03 pm
SOC94 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Good discussion. Thanks

Nice to have a civil and reasonable back and forth. It’s not difficult but many can’t do it.
No problem. I appreciate it as well. I just like talking basketball and everyone has different opinions. I wish Jackson nothing but the best. I hope they prove me wrong.

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Thank you for the insight I92. Jackson is one of the teams I want to see this season and just haven’t gotten around to it yet

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

3sUp wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:28 pm Thank you for the insight I92. Jackson is one of the teams I want to see this season and just haven’t gotten around to it yet
Let me know and I’ll pay your parking $$$

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I've only seen Jackson play 2 times this year so far, 2nd time Saturday at Rio Grande. Didn't really know that they had 3 or 4 kids that were not available Saturday. Don't know all the kids that they have anyway, know mayby 3 or 4 of them. If there is a better point guard around SEO, and there very well could be, I have yet to see him. He can have a bad game just like anyone else, they all do sometimes. As far as the rest of the team, like I said I don't know or have watched them very much. If they get there walking wounded back pretty soon, and keep getting the great play from there bench, especially the shooting, they will be a tough out for 95% of the teams in this area.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:40 pm
3sUp wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:28 pm Thank you for the insight I92. Jackson is one of the teams I want to see this season and just haven’t gotten around to it yet
Let me know and I’ll pay your parking $$$

Oh wow ok. I’ll let you know during girls tournament action when I’ll be collecting

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Post by basketball12349 »

Alexander just handled Adena very well. Impressive holding Adena to 39.

Norman Knight
Riding the Bench

Post by Norman Knight »

This is my first time posting. Pfloyd, I would like to thank you for the time and work you put into these rankings. You make a true effort to get out to games and watch teams play and then rank the teams based on your knowledge. The rankings look great and keep up the good work.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Norman Knight wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:18 pm This is my first time posting. Pfloyd, I would like to thank you for the time and work you put into these rankings. You make a true effort to get out to games and watch teams play and then rank the teams based on your knowledge. The rankings look great and keep up the good work.
Welcome Norman

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Here's my updated Top 18.

1. Chillicothe
2. Zane Trace
3. Jackson
4. Fairfield Union
5. Sheridan
6. Alexander
7. Unioto
8. Fairland
9. New Boston
10. Eastern Brown
11. Logan Elm
12. Adena
13. Chesapeake
14. Wheelersburg
15. Peebles
16. Oak Hill
17. North Adams
18. South Point

My next 10 on the outside looking in....

(in no particular order)

Warren, Federal Hocking, Ironton, Fairfield Leesburg, Waverly, Minford, Trimble, Meigs, Ironton St. Joe, Vinton County

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Waverly, Federal Hocking, Warren, and Federal Hocking are the 4 closest to overtaking a Top 18 spot for me.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am Here's my updated Top 18.

1. Chillicothe
2. Zane Trace
3. Jackson
4. Fairfield Union
5. Sheridan
6. Alexander
7. Unioto
8. Fairland
9. New Boston
10. Eastern Brown
11. Logan Elm
12. Adena
13. Chesapeake
14. Wheelersburg
15. Peebles
16. Oak Hill
17. North Adams
18. South Point

My next 10 on the outside looking in....

(in no particular order)

Warren, Federal Hocking, Ironton, Fairfield Leesburg, Waverly, Minford, Trimble, Meigs, Ironton St. Joe, Vinton County
Looks good. I like EB over NB thus far but both very good

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

There are some really good teams in that top 18. Definitely some depth in se Ohio

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

A lot of those teams will be playing each other over the next 2 weeks
should be some great games to watch

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Things continue to spiral downhill for my Trojans (1-4 overall) with last night's 72-42 home loss to the Fairland Dragons. It was FHS's 9th straight win over PHS. The Trojans had breakdowns on both ends of the court. Clayton Thomas had 29 points for FHS, knocking down at least 5-6 threes. We are now dead last in the OVC (8th) with an 0-3 record, after finishing 7th last season (3-11). It was Portsmouth's 4th straight loss after an opening win over Piketon.

The Trojans entertain Portsmouth West (only lost at Burg by 4) on Saturday, then go to Florida for 3 games, followed by 3 straight OVC games on the road (Rock Hill, Gallia Academy, and Ironton). The schedule looks ominous with the way we are playing. Hoping we can turn it around, but I'm not feeling real good about it right now.

GO TROJANS!!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Not sure that Oak Hill should be rated that high, after 6 kids no depth at all. 7th kid a senior has not been available since 1st game, no timetable for his return. Really had not played anyone up until last night, Minford but OH was very fortunate to win that game. I think Friday against Waverly will again show how the lack of depth may rear it's ugly head when facing the better teams in the SOC-2. Norm will get every thing that he can out of his kids, but sometimes only so much can be gotten.

Return to “Boys Basketball”