Holiday Classic in Waverly 27th & 28th

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Holiday Classic in Waverly 27th & 28th

Post by 93Bulldog »

Does anybody have line-up, game times for the 2-day event?

Thanks

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Holiday Classic in Waverly 27th & 28th

Post by smurray »

I was just getting ready to start a thread for this.

Friday
6:00p.m. Alexander vs Western
8:00p.m. Waverly vs Piketon

Saturday
2:00p.m. Consolation Game
4:00p.m. Championship Game

*** Note *** the time change for Saturday.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

smurray wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:53 pm I was just getting ready to start a thread for this.

Friday

Saturday

I'll be the first to ask, and probably not the last, why no Pike Eastern?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:42 pm
smurray wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:53 pm I was just getting ready to start a thread for this.

Friday

Saturday

Just a guess: given that Pike Eastern is now a member of the SOC 2, there likely was a mutual agreement for the Eagles to bow out of the tournament so as not to have the possibility of three regular season games against the Tigers.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Alexander takes this tournament with little resistance

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Omega wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:33 pm

Friday

Saturday

Just a guess: given that Pike Eastern is now a member of the SOC 2, there likely was a mutual agreement for the Eagles to bow out of the tournament so as not to have the possibility of three regular season games against the Tigers.
I don’t think there was a mutual agreement needed. I believe that was the reasoning offered but they had the same situation possible with Western and it happened some years.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yeah, weird and wrong EP is not in this

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I think Waverly will provide plenty of resistance for Alexander. Should be a good tournament!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Waverly v Alexander will be fun

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mattash wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:47 pm Waverly v Alexander will be fun
For about 2 quarters

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

smurray wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm

I don’t think there was a mutual agreement needed. I believe that was the reasoning offered but they had the same situation possible with Western and it happened some years.
smurry, was the tournament at one time called the Pike County Tournament, and now with Pike Eastern not being a part of it, it is now called the Holiday Classic ? I'm probably completely wrong about this.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Also, did the Girls teams at all of the schools, did they ever take part in this tournament ?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

mlittle wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:48 pm
For about 2 quarters
Waverly beat Warren. I think they are better then some think.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:50 am
For about 2 quarters
They also lost to Miami Trace. Not saying they aren’t capable but Adena smacked them by 30 in a foundation game and just lost to Alex by 14. I know the Adena game Waverly wasn’t full go but I just don’t see them playing with Alexander. Not a knock on Waverly but Alexander Should be the heavy favorite.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:10 am

smurry, was the tournament at one time called the Pike County Tournament, and now with Pike Eastern not being a part of it, it is now called the Holiday Classic ? I'm probably completely wrong about this.
This tournament has always been the Waverly Holiday Classic. It did not originally have all the Pike County teams playing in it. Once all the Pike County teams got involved some preferred to call it the Pike County Tournament.
All 4 Pike County girls teams play in a tournament and it is indeed called the Pike County Tournament. It’s always been those 4 schools. Not exactly at the same time.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 am

This tournament has always been the Waverly Holiday Classic. It did not originally have all the Pike County teams playing in it. Once all the Pike County teams got involved some preferred to call it the Pike County Tournament.
All 4 Pike County girls teams play in a tournament and it is indeed called the Pike County Tournament. It’s always been those 4 schools. Not exactly at the same time.
For those of us from the county and being a part of that tournament for years I just don’t see it having the same juice as years past. I’m sure it will still be a great tournament but just not the same.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:37 am

For those of us from the county and being a part of that tournament for years I just don’t see it having the same juice as years past. I’m sure it will still be a great tournament but just not the same.
Waverly plays Piketon in the semis this year so that one should be interesting.
I just don’t understand Eastern dropping out of it when they have been fairly successful in it the past few years. The argument they may end up playing Waverly 3 times holds no water when they played Western 3 X or had the potential to.

Not sure if Alexander will play in this Classic long term or if Waverly will try different teams from year to year.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

The kids from Eastern and their fans will wish they were a part of this I expect. It was a Pike County tradition for many families to go to these games. Many fans won't see Cochenour and company all year and I think that is sad.

4 county schools - 2 nights -1 champion. It just makes sense.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Thanks smurry for the clarification.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:15 am
EasternDspy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:50 am

For about 2 quarters
They also lost to Miami Trace. Not saying they aren’t capable but Adena smacked them by 30 in a foundation game and just lost to Alex by 14. I know the Adena game Waverly wasn’t full go but I just don’t see them playing with Alexander. Not a knock on Waverly but Alexander Should be the heavy favorite.

Waverly's next game against Stormin Norman's Oak Hill then a possible matchup with Alexander might give fan's a better gauge of how good, bad, or indifferent a season is in store for the Tigers. Football playoffs, injury and player turnover has made for a cloudy picture in TigerTown.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “Boys Basketball”