Officiating Question

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Re: Officiating Question

Post by Jim Ryan »

Swanker Pine wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:54 pm Weights do not throw off a shot 😂
Apparently you've never lifted weights and then tried to shoot. They definitely throw off yer shot.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Jim Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:59 pm
Apparently you've never lifted weights and then tried to shoot. They definitely throw off yer shot.
I’ve lifted dang near everyday for ten years now and played Rec ball in college. Of course you don’t lift before a game??? Common sense. As far as gaining strength and muscle mass, it definitely doesn’t affect the shot except maybe making a strength adjustment. I wouldn’t have my kids lift heavy the day before a game or during though

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

Swanker Pine wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:04 pm
I’ve lifted dang near everyday for ten years now and played Rec ball in college. Of course you don’t lift before a game??? Common sense. As far as gaining strength and muscle mass, it definitely doesn’t affect the shot except maybe making a strength adjustment. I wouldn’t have my kids lift heavy the day before a game or during though
Yay, you played "rec ball." Good for you. But lifting is not good for shooting. Maybe you couldn't shoot very well to start with, so you lifted weights and it threw off your shot off so much that you actually shot well after lifting. I can understand that. But it hurts good shooters. How many body builder types have you seen that could shoot a basketball well?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Jim Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:07 pm

Yay, you played "rec ball." Good for you. But lifting is not good for shooting. Maybe you couldn't shoot very well to start with, so you lifted weights and it threw off your shot off so much that you actually shot well after lifting. I can understand that. But it hurts good shooters. How many body builder types have you seen that could shoot a basketball well?
First off your being a prick.
Second off you’re still being a prick.
Third , you obviously aren’t as smart as you think you are if you think lifting weights makes you a body builder all of a sudden.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:43 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:12 pm Sounds like kid needs to get quicker, FT is a battle for position, as long as no pushing with hands, shoving, or tossing to the ground it’s a bigger faster, stronger scrum.
Hands on the back on that quick play is tough to see for one of two officials watching. Hands get used for leverage. I know it’s more open and scrum-like. It’s a quick happening and a judgement call trying to watch several things. I’m not saying it’s easy and I’m not upset with any official. I didn’t know the responsibilities of the 3 and by description sounds like guy watching ft line has to call opposite side once shot is delivered? If he’s watching to see if shooters foot doesn’t come across early before hitting rim it has to be tough to look oppo side to see what I’m speaking of. And the player tried being quicker. Again, not an obvious call but to have never ever seen it be called but have seen hundreds of lane violations....I wasn’t sure there was even a rule against it.

I’d almost have them line up on far bottom side of box and go flying back at the Team B guy for a big collision that would keep either from getting the ball. Would just be two guys going for the same space at same time.

I do think players should spend time working on it and how to better handle the situation.

1st off, there are three offIcials watching in every game I watch, which gives 1 inside out view and 2 outside in views, any official that’s any good will whack that if there is an advantage.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:17 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:43 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:12 pm Sounds like kid needs to get quicker, FT is a battle for position, as long as no pushing with hands, shoving, or tossing to the ground it’s a bigger faster, stronger scrum.
Hands on the back on that quick play is tough to see for one of two officials watching. Hands get used for leverage. I know it’s more open and scrum-like. It’s a quick happening and a judgement call trying to watch several things. I’m not saying it’s easy and I’m not upset with any official. I didn’t know the responsibilities of the 3 and by description sounds like guy watching ft line has to call opposite side once shot is delivered? If he’s watching to see if shooters foot doesn’t come across early before hitting rim it has to be tough to look oppo side to see what I’m speaking of. And the player tried being quicker. Again, not an obvious call but to have never ever seen it be called but have seen hundreds of lane violations....I wasn’t sure there was even a rule against it.

I’d almost have them line up on far bottom side of box and go flying back at the Team B guy for a big collision that would keep either from getting the ball. Would just be two guys going for the same space at same time.

I do think players should spend time working on it and how to better handle the situation.

1st off, there are three offIcials watching in every game I watch, which gives 1 inside out view and 2 outside in views, any official that’s any good will whack that if there is an advantage.
I don’t disagree with what you are saying, but also have not seen it called 1x in my life. There are plenty of good officials and even lower thought of officials often make very good calls. So I guess no player has ever gained an advantage worthy of a foul call.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

Swanker Pine wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:12 pm
Jim Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:07 pm

First off your being a prick.
Second off you’re still being a prick.
Third , you obviously aren’t as smart as you think you are if you think lifting weights makes you a body builder all of a sudden.
Sorry I hit a nerve. Not to worry, I'm still proud of you for playing rec ball. Did you say you're a body builder too? If so, Kudos to you my friend, kudos to you.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:38 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:21 pm Team B kid needs to get his weight up
I doubt that’s what the officials are looking for
Never met Swanker, but I really like this guy

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

PirateFan[69] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:42 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:38 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:21 pm Team B kid needs to get his weight up
I doubt that’s what the officials are looking for
Never met Swanker, but I really like this guy
Awwweeee ❤️

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

I have never really noticed the pushing on this play but went to Zane Trace and Unioto game and sure enough I saw the Trace kids shooting free throws and their bigs pushed in good and benefitted and grabbed some rebounds in doing so. Very interesting and will keep watching this in other games.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 pm I have never really noticed the pushing on this play but went to Zane Trace and Unioto game and sure enough I saw the Trace kids shooting free throws and their bigs pushed in good and benefitted and grabbed some rebounds in doing so. Very interesting and will keep watching this in other games.
Yeah. Nesser and Davidson are big dudes. Our kids were planted and just couldn’t keep them from pushing them further and further under the basket. Makes it impossible to rebound on foul shots. But the refs weren’t calling it so why not keep doing it 🤷‍♂️

tracecat95
Waterboy

Post by tracecat95 »

mlittle wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:44 pm
Ed Ott wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 pm I have never really noticed the pushing on this play but went to Zane Trace and Unioto game and sure enough I saw the Trace kids shooting free throws and their bigs pushed in good and benefitted and grabbed some rebounds in doing so. Very interesting and will keep watching this in other games.
Yeah. Nesser and Davidson are big dudes. Our kids were planted and just couldn’t keep them from pushing them further and further under the basket. Makes it impossible to rebound on foul shots. But the refs weren’t calling it so why not keep doing it 🤷‍♂️
yeah it's not that your kid sucks at basketball. it's the officials fault that your kid only put up 9.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Better get in the weight room I guess. Not sure how I would counter that. One way would be to not foul and just make shot difficult and be long and in way of path ball will take to basket. So many times kids get beat a step and give a bail out type foul when just being in the way would result in a very difficult play to finish. But once foul is called I don’t know answer. Have 3rd guy on line push two in front of him haha.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

tracecat95 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:02 pm
yeah it's not that your kid sucks at basketball. it's the officials fault that your kid only put up 9.
Lol

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I never said what they did was wrong. If the refs aren’t calling it it’s a great strategy

tracecat95
Waterboy

Post by tracecat95 »

mlittle wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:13 pm I never said what they did was wrong. If the refs aren’t calling it it’s a great strategy
nothing to call. our kids play clean solid basketball.. you guys had no business being on our floor. hope our janitors cleaned it really well. 9 pts.... :mrgreen:

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Did a fine job. Just like I said

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Honestly haven’t seen a bad crew yet this year

Scottyboy
Riding the Bench

Post by Scottyboy »

I have "no dog in this fight." Just really curious as to why tracecat95 is so hateful towards mlittle and his son? Is it personal? Or are you seeking "troll attention?"

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Scottyboy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:09 pm

I have "no dog in this fight." Just really curious as to why tracecat95 is so hateful towards mlittle and his son? Is it personal? Or are you seeking "troll attention?"
You can always tell when the high school kids get on here and post

Return to “Boys Basketball”