Officiating Question

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Officiating Question

Post by Ironman92 »

During a free throw attempt, what are the responsibilities of each of the 3 officials? (What things are each of them watching for?

Thanks

baseball16
All State

Re: Officiating Question

Post by baseball16 »

Lead is responsible for throw in and players oppo lane until shot then eyes go to three on table side , never blow whistle on air ball.

Center is responsible for shooter ,line, shot and oppo lane until shot then close down and ref shooter, shot, and 3 in lane.

Trail is responsible for players outside lane and help on shot , also table reposibility.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:51 am Lead is responsible for throw in and players oppo lane until shot then eyes go to three on table side , never blow whistle on air ball.

Center is responsible for shooter ,line, shot and oppo lane until shot then close down and ref shooter, shot, and 3 in lane.

Trail is responsible for players outside lane and help on shot , also table reposibility.

Thank you very much. I learned a lot on that explanation.

Team A is shooting a free throw. Team B has a taller thin build kid on bottom spot and Team A kid beside him is about same height but has him by 40 lbs and much stronger......as shot goes up Team A kid gets low and just pushes his way on Team B kid boxing out. Team B kid has feet set in block out position but gets push 3+ feet out of position by stronger Team A kid.

What things are you watching for on that play and what are the calls/no calls based on your interpretations?

Thanks

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Team B kid needs to get his weight up

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Swanker Pine wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:21 pm Team B kid needs to get his weight up
I doubt that’s what the officials are looking for

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

Should be a foul called, player should not be able to displace the man boxing him out, but I rarely see it called. They call that normal shots but for some reason seem to let it go on FT’s. Had one of those offensive rebounds on a FT bite Sheridan vs FU at a key point. FU kicked it out and hit a 3. All you can do is tell the kids to get Low and not let hiM push through but It’s hard if guy is bigger.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Treyman3 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:48 pm Should be a foul called, player should not be able to displace the man boxing him out, but I rarely see it called. They call that normal shots but for some reason seem to let it go on FT’s. Had one of those offensive rebounds on a FT bite Sheridan vs FU at a key point. FU kicked it out and hit a 3. All you can do is tell the kids to get Low and not let hiM push through but It’s hard if guy is bigger.
Agree. It’s a little silly. I’ve literally never seen it called before. Thought maybe refs watching for lane violation and maybe never saw it or it wasn’t considered a foul. The foul line and lane violations are called in a close manner and I agree 100%. I’ve just often wondered why this situation is allowed but wasn’t sure which ref was even watching for such instances.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

From what I've seen, this is rarely ever called on a free throw. Most times, it's an absolute free for all under the basket and nothing ever gets called. It's a shame.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:05 am
baseball16 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:51 am Lead is responsible for throw in and players oppo lane until shot then eyes go to three on table side , never blow whistle on air ball.

Team A is shooting a free throw. Team B has a taller thin build kid on bottom spot and Team A kid beside him is about same height but has him by 40 lbs and much stronger......as shot goes up Team A kid gets low and just pushes his way on Team B kid boxing out. Team B kid has feet set in block out position but gets push 3+ feet out of position by stronger Team A kid.

What things are you watching for on that play and what are the calls/no calls based on your interpretations?

Thanks
Sounds like team B needs to get in the weight room.

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

BlindWhiteHat wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:06 pm From what I've seen, this is rarely ever called on a free throw. Most times, it's an absolute free for all under the basket and nothing ever gets called. It's a shame.
Agree

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks
Is that what the official is looking at? Is that part of the call? Maybe he should just gain weight? I’d bet any amount the kid on Team A trying to box out is in the weight room more than the kid on Team B.

To box out from the lane you must lift your leg nearest the lane in the air and reset it a foot or two into the lane, I don’t care how much that kid can lift or squat...with 1 leg in the air a split second and kid pushing on you during that time will get you pushed well forward. If you are giving up 40-50 lbs it’s gonna get you pushed further. If team A player tries to get a split second edge to get that foot down it’s often a lane violation, but I’ve never ever seen the push called.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Sounds like kid needs to get quicker, FT is a battle for position, as long as no pushing with hands, shoving, or tossing to the ground it’s a bigger faster, stronger scrum.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:10 pm

Thanks
Is that what the official is looking at? Is that part of the call? Maybe he should just gain weight? I’d bet any amount the kid on Team A trying to box out is in the weight room more than the kid on Team B.

To box out from the lane you must lift your leg nearest the lane in the air and reset it a foot or two into the lane, I don’t care how much that kid can lift or squat...with 1 leg in the air a split second and kid pushing on you during that time will get you pushed well forward. If you are giving up 40-50 lbs it’s gonna get you pushed further. If team A player tries to get a split second edge to get that foot down it’s often a lane violation, but I’ve never ever seen the push called.
When I played we still lined up under the big block. Impossible to get a rebound

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:12 pm Sounds like kid needs to get quicker, FT is a battle for position, as long as no pushing with hands, shoving, or tossing to the ground it’s a bigger faster, stronger scrum.
Hands on the back on that quick play is tough to see for one of two officials watching. Hands get used for leverage. I know it’s more open and scrum-like. It’s a quick happening and a judgement call trying to watch several things. I’m not saying it’s easy and I’m not upset with any official. I didn’t know the responsibilities of the 3 and by description sounds like guy watching ft line has to call opposite side once shot is delivered? If he’s watching to see if shooters foot doesn’t come across early before hitting rim it has to be tough to look oppo side to see what I’m speaking of. And the player tried being quicker. Again, not an obvious call but to have never ever seen it be called but have seen hundreds of lane violations....I wasn’t sure there was even a rule against it.

I’d almost have them line up on far bottom side of box and go flying back at the Team B guy for a big collision that would keep either from getting the ball. Would just be two guys going for the same space at same time.

I do think players should spend time working on it and how to better handle the situation.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:13 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:10 pm

When I played we still lined up under the big block. Impossible to get a rebound
I’ve never ever been down there so I’d never know lol

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Actually if called correctly the center official watches feet and opposite 3. However once the shot goes up official should close down and watch shooter, shot, and 3 players on his side. Baseline lead official will get three guys on table side so everything should be covered. I look for displacement and advantage/disadvantage. Lots of contact and could prob call a foul on all FTs , kind of like a hold on football. But sometimes if there is no advantage or malicious contact then prob best to move on.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:54 pm Actually if called correctly the center official watches feet and opposite 3. However once the shot goes up official should close down and watch shooter, shot, and 3 players on his side. Baseline lead official will get three guys on table side so everything should be covered. I look for displacement and advantage/disadvantage. Lots of contact and could prob call a foul on all FTs , kind of like a hold on football. But sometimes if there is no advantage or malicious contact then prob best to move on.
Agree, thanks for your participation in this.

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:12 pm Sounds like kid needs to get quicker, FT is a battle for position, as long as no pushing with hands, shoving, or tossing to the ground it’s a bigger faster, stronger scrum.
FT’s are not a battle for position, the defense already has the position. Officials don’t let guys ride the opponent out of the way with a knee on regular shots, they shouldn’t on FTs either. As someone else said if doesn’t end up resulting in an advantage I’m fine with letting it go but if it results in an offensive rebound they need to call the foul, assuming the defense is actually boxing out.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

Thanks
No, no and triple no. Those weights throws off their shot. Stay away from them.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Weights do not throw off a shot 😂

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”