Psycho Sid
Waterboy

Re: Norm Persin to retire after this season

Post by Psycho Sid »

avalanche wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:11 am
VetteMan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:23 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:00 am
settled
Why would he be maybe the best athlete in Jackson County history?
Being that we are on a Basketball topic, I understand that this could be debated and never really settled, but I also think that he ( Kyle Ondera ) was the best athlete to ever come out of Jackson County. I would also bet that if someone were to ask Norm who was the best kid that ever played for him, he would probably never give you an answer, but he would tell you that Ondera was right at the top.
Not taking anything away from the kid, but Rick Edwards was Norms best player and it isn't close. Rick was on the Chesapeake 92-93 team. 6'8, center who went onto play at Richmond University. Rick's claim to fame is he held Tim Duncan to single digit scoring. I also believe he played over sea's. There is a very long list of very good players from Chesapeake that were as good if not better: Rick Edwards (Richmond), Joey Thacker (Liberty), Anthony Delimpo (Centerville), etc
James Dempsey was #1
Edwards was also excellent and Dempsey’s teammate😳

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Psycho Sid wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:09 pm
avalanche wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:11 am
VetteMan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Being that we are on a Basketball topic, I understand that this could be debated and never really settled, but I also think that he ( Kyle Ondera ) was the best athlete to ever come out of Jackson County. I would also bet that if someone were to ask Norm who was the best kid that ever played for him, he would probably never give you an answer, but he would tell you that Ondera was right at the top.
Not taking anything away from the kid, but Rick Edwards was Norms best player and it isn't close. Rick was on the Chesapeake 92-93 team. 6'8, center who went onto play at Richmond University. Rick's claim to fame is he held Tim Duncan to single digit scoring. I also believe he played over sea's. There is a very long list of very good players from Chesapeake that were as good if not better: Rick Edwards (Richmond), Joey Thacker (Liberty), Anthony Delimpo (Centerville), etc
James Dempsey was #1
Edwards was also excellent and Dempsey’s teammate😳
It is splitting hairs at this point, and I loved Dempsey, but I'd say Edwards. Dempsey, if I am not mistaken, was set to go to Marietta, while Edwards was a D1 kid. Dempsey was more developed as a scorer than Edwards, but noticeable talent discrepancy imo.

My list for whatever it is worth.
1. Rick Edwards
2. Joey Thacker
3. James Dempsey
4. Anthony Delimpo
5. Chris Lovely
6. Sam Gue
7 Tie. Aaron Gossett
7 Tie. Ryan Mount
8. PJ Rase
9. Daniel Thompson
10. Mike Tomlin

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

wow, he's still coaching. I remember 20 some years ago at the Convo he was coaching Chesapeake and he was old then.
good for him. Always enjoyed their style of play.

Psycho Sid
Waterboy

Post by Psycho Sid »

Avalanche that’s a great list of former Panthers. Respect your opinion. Imo:
1 Dempsey
2 Edwards
3 Gue
4 Thacker
5 Osborne
Toss up on the rest...all nice players. Any coach would love to have them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”