Norm Persin to retire after this season

mattash
Site Admin

Norm Persin to retire after this season

Post by mattash »

The basketball court is named for Persin, now coach at Oak Hill. He coached the Panthers for 21 years after five with the Oaks and two at Wilmington High before returning to Oak Hill in 2007.

Now, with more than 750 victories to his credit, Persin said on Saturday this season will be his last.

“A lot of bus rides,” Persin said. “A lot of bus rides.”

Persin, 69, has said he’d retire before, but changed his mind. The third-winningest coach in Ohio high school boys basketball history, though, said he means it this time

Read more by Tim at the HD

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Re: Norm Persin to retire after this season

Post by PirateFan[69] »

STORMIN NORMAN!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wow. He’s earned it.

_BlackBeard_
Waterboy

Post by _BlackBeard_ »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:01 am STORMIN NORMAN!!
I hope all cheer blocks give him one last good "STORMIN NORMAN" great coach!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I'd bet a good amount of money he'll end up coaching somewhere next season. I could be wrong..... but coaching is all he knows and what he does great. There will be plenty of schools calling and if the right one does ---- I'd imagine he'll listen.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:24 am I'd bet a good amount of money he'll end up coaching somewhere next season. I could be wrong..... but coaching is all he knows and what he does great. There will be plenty of schools calling and if the right one does ---- I'd imagine he'll listen.
I agree. You spend 40 straight years doing something and once you get out it’s like learning how to live a whole different life again. Mack Brown going back into coaching at UNC is one example

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:24 am I'd bet a good amount of money he'll end up coaching somewhere next season. I could be wrong..... but coaching is all he knows and what he does great. There will be plenty of schools calling and if the right one does ---- I'd imagine he'll listen.
I’ll just go ahead and say somewhere within 30 miles
Last edited by Ironman92 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

How old is Norm ? 65? He still looks like he has a few years left in him. But agree he has earned it. And will be missed . That towel...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I as well as a few other Oak Hill fans have thought all along that this may be his last year. He will be losing 7 Seniors this year off the varsity. If this is his last season, I really don't think he will look to coach again. Of course, I have been mistaken before.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Prince wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:07 am How old is Norm ? 65? He still looks like he has a few years left in him. But agree he has earned it. And will be missed . That towel...
It says 69 in the original post...

Corner3
Riding the Bench

Post by Corner3 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 am
Go on...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

There will never be another coach in the SE district that will last as long or win as many games as Norm.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Congrats--well deserved.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

mattash wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:55 am The basketball court is named for Persin, now coach at Oak Hill. He coached the Panthers for 21 years after five with the Oaks and two at Wilmington High before returning to Oak Hill in 2007.

Now, with more than 750 victories to his credit, Persin said on Saturday this season will be his last.

Persin, 69, has said he’d retire before, but changed his mind. The third-winningest coach in Ohio high school boys basketball history, though, said he means it this time

I believe he also coached girls at Northwest. I think he was the first girls coach.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Southern Ohio will definitely miss seeing Norm roam the sidelines. No matter how much talent he had or didn't have, you knew when you faced Norm he was going to put together a great game plan and his teams always competed at the highest level.

I know all of the SOC coaches have nothing but the highest respect for Norm and I'm sure will miss competing against him. But they will also be relieved they don't have to face him anymore, because he is that good lol.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

😈😈😈

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 pm
mattash wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:55 am The basketball court is named for Persin, now coach at Oak Hill. He coached the Panthers for 21 years after five with the Oaks and two at Wilmington High before returning to Oak Hill in 2007.

I believe he also coached girls at Northwest. I think he was the first girls coach.
If he ever coached the Girls at Northwest, I have never heard anyone around this area ever mention that. He was an assistant coach at Gallia Academy, he then came to Oak Hill as the Head Coach, then to Wilmington as Head Coach, then to Chesapeake for over 20 years as Head Coach, then back to Oak Hill till the present time. At least that's what I've been told, if I'm wrong I'll certainly admit it.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

750 wins is a MONUMENTAL accomplishment. Definitely going to miss seeing him on the sidelines (if this really is the end..) We've seen this out of several coaches before tho. (Larry Jordan, Joe Stewart, to name a few)

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Swanker Pine wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:04 pm
😈😈😈
🤔

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:36 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:04 pm

😈😈😈