Portsmouth @ Wheelersburg 1/18

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Re: Portsmouth @ Wheelersburg 1/18

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Swanker Pine wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:55 pm [quote=rxburgfan post_id=<a href="tel:1843743">1843743</a> time=<a href="tel:1579400879">1579400879</a> user_id=540]
Trojans put together a bad effort tonight. Time for a coaching change in Prown. They took a beating tonight and he sat at the end of the bench without a word. Coaching comes with the good a bad. But Burg played well.
Careful, that’s almost blasphemy talking about Portsmouth’s coach like he ain’t the GOAT
[/quote]

Better than anyone SoUTh WeBsTEr has ever had on the court, but those too are words that should never be spoken to the great swanker

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Last night was simply embarrassing for Portsmouth. Underprepared and unmotivated. Kudos to Burg and staff for coming ready to play and executing.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Collins is a great coach. Sometimes kids are the problem. He may know this.

TigersNation
Waterboy

Post by TigersNation »

wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 am Collins is a great coach. Sometimes kids are the problem. He may know this.
It not the kids coaching has been awful, kid hit a three at the buzzer in south point game with 3 seconds left and no timeout was called. Against burg they play kids that shouldn't be on the floor at the varsity level.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:12 am
Swanker Pine wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:55 pm [quote=rxburgfan post_id=<a href="tel:1843743">1843743</a> time=<a href="tel:1579400879">1579400879</a> user_id=540]
Trojans put together a bad effort tonight. Time for a coaching change in Prown. They took a beating tonight and he sat at the end of the bench without a word. Coaching comes with the good a bad. But Burg played well.
Careful, that’s almost blasphemy talking about Portsmouth’s coach like he ain’t the GOAT
Better than anyone SoUTh WeBsTEr has ever had on the court, but those too are words that should never be spoken to the great swanker
[/quote]

Lol ok toby.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

After reading this, how far Portsmouth has fallen . They were feared and put out big strong kids. Great ball handlers, talent oozing on bench, remember Portsmouth was a fixture at the Convo for years. Where has all the talent and basketball players went to. I was looking at there schedule and its a far cry from what I remember the Portsmouth Trojans to have been. Any thoughts on why the level of play has been on a downward trend and looks like continuing. Question, has Portsmouth beat a team with winning record this year. Look forward to seeing Portsmouth return to the Convo where they belong.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I say Coach Collins is a very very good Coach, what can you say or do in certain situations. Kids now a days only wants to play when the season starts, no playground, aau, travel teams or just plain playing hoops and wanting to get better on your own. Also pride and wanting to the best you can for your team and school comes into play on any team or level. overmatched skill levels show up pretty quick in these situations also. I know Howie produces and expects toughness and thats why Trimble is tough in all sports.

Tater
Waterboy

Post by Tater »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:15 pm
Tater wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:23 pm The future is bright for the Trojans but I think Burg is going to be to much for this young team
too*

Thank you , I was a high school drop out because I had to support myself at the age of 16 so I didn't get all the schooling I needed but I did manage to get my GED and I can read really well but when it comes to grammar I struggle , but while others get mad when corrected ,I embrace it because I'm still willing to learn.

God bless you!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tater wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:18 pm
PirateFan[69] wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:15 pm
Tater wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:23 pm The future is bright for the Trojans but I think Burg is going to be to much for this young team
too*

Thank you , I was a high school drop out because I had to support myself at the age of 16 so I didn't get all the schooling I needed but I did manage to get my GED and I can read really well but when it comes to grammar I struggle , but while others get mad when corrected ,I embrace it because I'm still willing to learn.

God bless you!
Seriously? Good for you. 👏👏👏

Tater
Waterboy

Post by Tater »

TigersNation wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am
wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 am Collins is a great coach. Sometimes kids are the problem. He may know this.
Last edited by Tater on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tater
Waterboy

Post by Tater »

By the way this is just the "talk" going around and I have no proof but like everyone else I just posted for attention , any mod can feel free to remove if you've not heard the talk .

Tater
Waterboy

Post by Tater »

trojan7 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:35 am Last night was simply embarrassing for Portsmouth. Underprepared and unmotivated. Kudos to Burg and staff for coming ready to play and executing.
Are you speaking as a Trojan fan or a hater?

I mean ......??

Tater
Waterboy

Post by Tater »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:12 am
Last edited by Tater on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Tater wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:32 pm
trojan7 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:35 am Last night was simply embarrassing for Portsmouth. Underprepared and unmotivated. Kudos to Burg and staff for coming ready to play and executing.
Are you speaking as a Trojan fan or a hater?

I mean ......??
Fan and alum. No way that should of been a 37 point game. No excuse

Tater
Waterboy

Post by Tater »

I am sure that anyone that has coached for any amount of time at any level they have had some bad losses that they should not have had , but it comes bwith the territory a few losses and blow outs along the way does not take away from what Collins has done at Portsmouth.

And like I said look for yourselfs at Collins resemay in last 11 years and tell me who has a better one in that time frame , now remember I do know of a few so just saying.

We could go back to the days when Rick had this team and all the losing years

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Tater wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:04 pm I am sure that anyone that has coached for any amount of time at any level they have had some bad losses that they should not have had , but it comes bwith the territory a few losses and blow outs along the way does not take away from what Collins has done at Portsmouth.

And like I said look for yourselfs at Collins resemay in last 11 years and tell me who has a better one in that time frame , now remember I do know of a few so just saying.

Well I totally agree there are bad losses and I have been apart of blowouts in my coaching career mostly being AAU. However I also know the success Coach Collins has had as I coached on Coach Collins’ staff for about 8 of those 11 years. As I also know how important beating Burg (rival) is to him as much as almost anyone else from Portsmouth. That’s why I said it was embarrassing or more the better word to say is shocking. I had a feeling Burg would win by 5-10 points but not that many. So before you go on and tell me I don’t know what that success is like you should get things straight first. I always hope for Portsmouth to do great and the standard had and should always be to get to Columbus.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Personally, I would like to see a little more credit given to wheelersburg for this blowout win than all the talk about Portsmouth coaching woes and kids not playing well or etc I think burg had a little to do with Portsmouth playing so bad the other night. They played very aggressive defense got after Portsmouth from the get go and finally got some outside shots to drop after really pretty much struggling with shooting most of the year. Burg also starts no seniors and while they mainly only go 7 deep I think they Are capable off even going deeper if they get in a pinch. This team has only lost twice to 2 good opponents in waverly and an ironton team that is much better than their record. With quality wins over Jackson and oak hill and this Portsmouth team. the burg is only going to continue to get better as the season goes on.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

victor creed wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:43 am Personally, I would like to see a little more credit given to wheelersburg for this blowout win than all the talk about Portsmouth coaching woes and kids not playing well or etc I think burg had a little to do with Portsmouth playing so bad the other night. They played very aggressive defense got after Portsmouth from the get go and finally got some outside shots to drop after really pretty much struggling with shooting most of the year. Burg also starts no seniors and while they mainly only go 7 deep I think they Are capable off even going deeper if they get in a pinch. This team has only lost twice to 2 good opponents in waverly and an ironton team that is much better than their record. With quality wins over Jackson and oak hill and this Portsmouth team. the burg is only going to continue to get better as the season goes on.
The score is crazy. Burg must be given credit for pounding them. Today’s society doesn’t want to talk about the good (Burg’s performance) they want to put Collins on the hot seat because Burg broke his team’s spirit and he allowed it.

Stuff happens. Had Burg won 63-43 it would scream WOW, great game Burg! But 69-31 screams what the hell Portsmouth?

If you want to talk about Burg on here you should mention technical fouls or student sections. Sad, but true anymore.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:18 pm
victor creed wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:43 am Personally, I would like to see a little more credit given to wheelersburg for this blowout win than all the talk about Portsmouth coaching woes and kids not playing well or etc I think burg had a little to do with Portsmouth playing so bad the other night. They played very aggressive defense got after Portsmouth from the get go and finally got some outside shots to drop after really pretty much struggling with shooting most of the year. Burg also starts no seniors and while they mainly only go 7 deep I think they Are capable off even going deeper if they get in a pinch. This team has only lost twice to 2 good opponents in waverly and an ironton team that is much better than their record. With quality wins over Jackson and oak hill and this Portsmouth team. the burg is only going to continue to get better as the season goes on.
The score is crazy. Burg must be given credit for pounding them. Today’s society doesn’t want to talk about the good (Burg’s performance) they want to put Collins on the hot seat because Burg broke his team’s spirit and he allowed it.

Stuff happens. Had Burg won 63-43 it would scream WOW, great game Burg! But 69-31 screams what the hell Portsmouth?

If you want to talk about Burg on here you should mention technical fouls or student sections. Sad, but true anymore.
Very true and in my initial post I gave credit to Burg staff and players on coming ready to play and execute. I’ve seen them twice so far with this game and the game at Jackson and both times I came away very impressed. They move the ball extremely well and they are very good in transition. Matthew Miller played outstanding and really distributed and ran the floor well. Plus Jolly and Sanderlin coming off the bench both provide great sparks with not much of a drop off. McCorkle can give teams fits with his size and skill. Then you have Truitt who has played in so many games he provides that constant you need.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

trojan7 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:25 pm
Tater wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:04 pm I am sure that anyone that has coached for any amount of time at any level they have had some bad losses that they should not have had , but it comes bwith the territory a few losses and blow outs along the way does not take away from what Collins has done at Portsmouth.

Well I totally agree there are bad losses and I have been apart of blowouts in my coaching career mostly being AAU. However I also know the success Coach Collins has had as I coached on Coach Collins’ staff for about 8 of those 11 years. As I also know how important beating Burg (rival) is to him as much as almost anyone else from Portsmouth. That’s why I said it was embarrassing or more the better word to say is shocking. I had a feeling Burg would win by 5-10 points but not that many. So before you go on and tell me I don’t know what that success is like you should get things straight first. I always hope for Portsmouth to do great and the standard had and should always be to get to Columbus.
If your standard for Portsmouth is to get to Columbus, you're gonna be waiting for awhile and disappointed in no matter who is coaching. Demographics have changed in Portsmouth. They're smaller now enrollment-wise than some county schools. With the current players coming from junior high and elementary, Columbus probably ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Athens (Districts most years, Regionals every couple of years) should be the new goal for Portsmouth.

As for Collins, he has done a great job at Portsmouth over the years, but the rumblings are out there. It will be interesting to see what direction Portsmouth goes in if the job does come open.*

Return to “Boys Basketball”