Warren @ Athens

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Re: Warren @ Athens

Post by ShoeHorn »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 pm ... a must win for Athens vs Warren ... the Bulldogs have zero signature wins ... have beaten bad by the 2 best teams they have played so far (Alexander and Chesapeake) ... looking forward to seeing the Bulldogs to be able to compare them vs the other teams above them in my rankings ... Warren, Marietta (had won 7 straight before losing big to Warren Tuesday) , home vs Alexander ... Warren without Seth Dennis - time to drop the without Seth Dennis - as the Warriors have morphed into "this is who we are now" - everyone has developed/taken on their new roles, settled into doing what they individually bring to the TEAM instead trying to "take up the slack" ... too good of players, too good of a coaching staff to have it any other way - I figured it would take thru the holidays to have EVERYONE accept what is , and for TEAM to begin to settle in and NOW start "just getting better" ... looking forward to touching bases with both coaching staffs tomorrow night ! I saw Warren in their season opening loss to Waverly at the Piketon tipoff tourney ... haven't seen Athens - the match-ups haven't lured me either down to A'town or had me hitting the road to NEED to see them ... Athens vs Warren ... THAT gets me to drive down Rte 33 LOL ... I wish both teams a great game !
Game was at Alex and Athens was up by 9 at halftime and was down by 2 with 51.3 left in the game. They did not get beaten bad. The next day when they traveled to Fairland to play Chesapeake, they did get beat soundly.

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

Big seeding game Athens in a close one

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Shoehorn is correct, Floyd.

Dogs were fine until they had to go toward Section 8 in the 2nd half, which was about as rowdy and full as I have ever seen it.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Warren is coached to well to let Butcher get 30 and they will slow the game down and make Athens play defense--that's not good for Athens--Warren by 10 to 12 pts.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

vcgrad wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:40 am Warren is coached to well to let Butcher get 30 and they will slow the game down and make Athens play defense--that's not good for Athens--Warren by 10 to 12 pts.
Athens actually plays good defense. They have the athletes to lock down on teams 1 on 1.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Not Butcher

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Warren by 8.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

ShoeHorn wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 pm ... a must win for Athens vs Warren ... the Bulldogs have zero signature wins ... have beaten bad by the 2 best teams they have played so far (Alexander and Chesapeake) ... looking forward to seeing the Bulldogs to be able to compare them vs the other teams above them in my rankings ... Warren, Marietta (had won 7 straight before losing big to Warren Tuesday) , home vs Alexander ... Warren without Seth Dennis - time to drop the without Seth Dennis - as the Warriors have morphed into "this is who we are now" - everyone has developed/taken on their new roles, settled into doing what they individually bring to the TEAM instead trying to "take up the slack" ... too good of players, too good of a coaching staff to have it any other way - I figured it would take thru the holidays to have EVERYONE accept what is , and for TEAM to begin to settle in and NOW start "just getting better" ... looking forward to touching bases with both coaching staffs tomorrow night ! I saw Warren in their season opening loss to Waverly at the Piketon tipoff tourney ... haven't seen Athens - the match-ups haven't lured me either down to A'town or had me hitting the road to NEED to see them ... Athens vs Warren ... THAT gets me to drive down Rte 33 LOL ... I wish both teams a great game !
Game was at Alex and Athens was up by 9 at halftime and was down by 2 with 51.3 left in the game. They did not get beaten bad. The next day when they traveled to Fairland to play Chesapeake, they did get beat soundly.
... THAT'S why I see ALL of the games I do ! the "end" score doesn't say anything about "the game" - thanks ... THAT'S why I will be at Athens tonight to give the Bulldogs my own "eyes on" test so I can compare them with the Elite 8 teams ...

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

I think Warren wins by a dozen.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens 36
Warren 29
Halftime

Both teams are playing well

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

Athens more physical, refs letting them play. Warren needs to play stronger.

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

After 3 qtrs, 50 all.

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

Athens scoring layups, Warren throwing up 3s with no rebounders. Athens up 62-50

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Knew it

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

After watching almost every D2 team in the district. Athens is just as good as the best team. No one stands out in the district.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ed Ott wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:17 pm Athens 73
Warren 60

Butcher 30
You were pretty close on the score. Butcher wasn’t close to 30 tho

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

Congrats to Athens. They now have their signature win

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Finally got the monkey off their back. Man that thing was getting heavy. lol

This may not be Athens' most talented team, but they play 'as a team' better than any I have watched in awhile. Almost five different players in double figures tonight.

Markins - 20
Whiting - 18
Butcher - 15
Trainer - 11
Stevens - 9

That's a sign of a group of kids playing well as a team.

They are not big, but rebound pretty well.

I had unofficial rebounding stats: Butcher with 16, Whiting with 13 and Markins with 8.

Athens led 17-13 after the first.
Athens led 36-29 at half
The game was tied 50-50 after the 3rd.
Athens outscores the Warriors 27-15 in the fourth and final frame.

Free throws:

Athens was 17-of-22

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Athens should send me a tshirt or something. When I pick them, they win. Close on score to

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ed Ott wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pm Athens should send me a tshirt or something. When I pick them, they win. Close on score to
93bulldog has the hook up. I could send you an old one :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”