If I were a coach......

Ground Buck
All Conference

Re: If I were a coach......

Post by Ground Buck »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:15 am
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 am The great Dave Young was doing a postgame radio interview and radio guy asked about his super sophomore Kraig Unger who went off for 36 points. Dave replied “that’s great but he gave up 40 points on defense”

Kids don’t care about that enough (or at all) and parents don’t help.
This is spot on, one of the reasons I've told my son, play hard defense, box out every play, take care of the ball and give 100% will get you more playing time than anything and the rest will come your way. I've seen this exact thing happen, kid can score from about anywhere but doesn't play a lick of defense, defense travels there's some nights your shot just isn't there. I won't lie if I'm unable to go to a game first thing I do ask is how many points but my next question is how many points did you give up, then I'll ask about rebounds and steals.
I never cared about the most points necessarily, but I always wanted my kids to take the most shots. I was mad as hell, and made them run suicides, when they didn't. But it was extra suicides if they didn't take the most shots AND didn't use their allotted four fouls. So I think I was doing okay by what most of you have posted since I included the number of fouls to the conversation too. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ground Buck wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:22 am
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 am The great Dave Young was doing a postgame radio interview and radio guy asked about his super sophomore Kraig Unger who went off for 36 points. Dave replied “that’s great but he gave up 40 points on defense”

Kids don’t care about that enough (or at all) and parents don’t help.
This is spot on, one of the reasons I've told my son, play hard defense, box out every play, take care of the ball and give 100% will get you more playing time than anything and the rest will come your way. I've seen this exact thing happen, kid can score from about anywhere but doesn't play a lick of defense, defense travels there's some nights your shot just isn't there. I won't lie if I'm unable to go to a game first thing I do ask is how many points but my next question is how many points did you give up, then I'll ask about rebounds and steals.
I never cared about the most points necessarily, but I always wanted my kids to take the most shots. I was mad as hell, and made them run suicides, when they didn't. But it was extra suicides if they didn't take the most shots AND didn't use their allotted four fouls. So I think I was doing okay by what most of you have posted since I included the number of fouls to the conversation too. :mrgreen:
LOL, Yeah I'll crack on him from time to time telling him he can't take those fouls with him play more aggressive defensively.

Irish
Freshman Team

Post by Irish »

It’s about understanding the role your Coach has asked you to fill and doing that role to the best of your ability. That is what a team player is all about. There is too much emphasis put on how many points an individual scores, instead of, whether or not the TEAM wins.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

True---but everyone is suppose to get a trophy in todays world. :D :D :D

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Scottyboy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 am if I were a coach, I would be teaching this child what the game really is about. It's not about who scores the most. Its about winning
The last time I checked the team that scores the most is the team that wins. So, I think scoring is somewhat important.

Gilligan
Waterboy

Post by Gilligan »

On the other hand, the team that gives up the fewest point wins. So, I think defense is of the utmost importance.

Irish
Freshman Team

Post by Irish »

Ol Sid, you must’ve been a shooting guard who couldn’t play any defense!!!

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

amayasmith wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:19 pm
mlittle wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:20 am

I think there are still a few of us that teach this at home but like I said before with the espn era it’s getting fewer and further between. Let’s face it every team has to have players in certain roles and somebody has to score the ball. Nothing wrong with taking pride in that if your team depends on it. Just have to compete In the other aspects of the game as well.
Great dude, you explained well I am also thinking the same which you have thought for. Anyway, I appreciate your Reply...
Nothing's changed over the years except that now parents can post on BookFace and other venues about how little Joey scored a bunch of points. So, now instead of just 10 people having to listen to it thousands get to read about it. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Y’all in SEO got about 10 years before Swank Jr. puts on a defensive clinic in the SOC2. Were lifting weights right now 😂

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Didn’t know Swank was Bringham Waginger

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:48 pm Didn’t know Swank was Bringham Waginger
If my son is half the D player Wags was, I’ll be a proud pappy.

I’m working with my nephew now who is 11. He’s got size but not sure he’ll still be interested in a few years.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:48 pm Didn’t know Swank was Bringham Waginger
Swanker stole about everything from Columbus Grove

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:55 pm
Swanker stole about everything from Columbus Grove

Facts though

Return to “Boys Basketball”