Why do we officiate?

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Why do we officiate?

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

We officiate this great game of basketball for so many reasons we can’t mention them all. The relationships we make with fellow officials, AD’s, scorekeepers, radio personnel, coaches, players, fans and even security at our games. FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME is the main reason! No matter if we are young, old or let’s say my age 50 (lol) every night out and every game is a BIG game. No matter if it is biddy ball, junior high, freshman, jv or varsity that game we are working is meaningful to everyone associated with it. It is the BIG game no matter where you are or at and whatever level you are working. Do we make $$$ for doing it? We make a big $25-$70 a game for what we do. That’s not counting our gas money to and from, the wear and tear on our bodies, the wear and tear on our vehicles, the time away from our families, the food and drinks we buy to and from, the abuse we all take from some parents and fans and our beautiful uniforms we wear. We are evaluated every time we take the court by the so called people previously mentioned, some good some not so good. So why do most of us do it? FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME!!!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Why do we officiate?

Post by Ironman92 »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:20 pm We officiate this great game of basketball for so many reasons we can’t mention them all. The relationships we make with fellow officials, AD’s, scorekeepers, radio personnel, coaches, players, fans and even security at our games. FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME is the main reason! No matter if we are young, old or let’s say my age 50 (lol) every night out and every game is a BIG game. No matter if it is biddy ball, junior high, freshman, jv or varsity that game we are working is meaningful to everyone associated with it. It is the BIG game no matter where you are or at and whatever level you are working. Do we make $$$ for doing it? We make a big $25-$70 a game for what we do. That’s not counting our gas money to and from, the wear and tear on our bodies, the wear and tear on our vehicles, the time away from our families, the food and drinks we buy to and from, the abuse we all take from some parents and fans and our beautiful uniforms we wear. We are evaluated every time we take the court by the so called people previously mentioned, some good some not so good. So why do most of us do it? FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME!!!!!
“Every game is a big game”

I like that man, I really do. For the kids on the floor with you every game is big, you only get so many. I appreciate that.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I do it for the straight cash homey. Oh wait they don't pay cash anymore. It's all deposited directly into checking account where my wife gets to spend it. Nevermind I do it for the love and passion of the game.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:20 pm We officiate this great game of basketball for so many reasons we can’t mention them all. The relationships we make with fellow officials, AD’s, scorekeepers, radio personnel, coaches, players, fans and even security at our games. FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME is the main reason! No matter if we are young, old or let’s say my age 50 (lol) every night out and every game is a BIG game. No matter if it is biddy ball, junior high, freshman, jv or varsity that game we are working is meaningful to everyone associated with it. It is the BIG game no matter where you are or at and whatever level you are working. Do we make $$$ for doing it? We make a big $25-$70 a game for what we do. That’s not counting our gas money to and from, the wear and tear on our bodies, the wear and tear on our vehicles, the time away from our families, the food and drinks we buy to and from, the abuse we all take from some parents and fans and our beautiful uniforms we wear. We are evaluated every time we take the court by the so called people previously mentioned, some good some not so good. So why do most of us do it? FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME!!!!!
clevelandbrowns#1 ! I got stuck UP in the Cheap Seats last night at ZT or would have come down to yell at you and Mr. Nichols - let you know that you BOTH handled 2 tough matchups well this weekend ! nice job my friends ... pfloyd will see you guys down the road I'm sure - keep up the good work AND I love the thinking "EVERY game IS a BIG game" - perfect ! - pfloyd

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Why do we officiate. Most people who have watched Basketball know Why.... Because we are ate up with it. Yes all those things clevelandbrown said are probably true for most refs. Everyone with any knowledge about the matter know they pay for Schooling, uniform ect ect ect… However!!! I'd bet the farm that half the Refs would do it for free..They love it!!!! Some are absolutely ate up with it!!! So even though everyone jumps on the band wagon making hero's out of them their doing a job they like and are getting paid for it....I think their favorite moments are during a timeout with 2 of the refs standing at parade rest on the block at each end of court roflmao!!! they love it!!!!!!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mrwonderful wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:53 pm Why do we officiate. Most people who have watched Basketball know Why.... Because we are ate up with it. Yes all those things clevelandbrown said are probably true for most refs. Everyone with any knowledge about the matter know they pay for Schooling, uniform ect ect ect… However!!! I'd bet the farm that half the Refs would do it for free..They love it!!!! Some are absolutely ate up with it!!! So even though everyone jumps on the band wagon making hero's out of them their doing a job they like and are getting paid for it....I think their favorite moments are during a timeout with 2 of the refs standing at parade rest on the block at each end of court roflmao!!! they love it!!!!!!
The ones that are ate up with it are the ones that scare me the most.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Absolutely. It’s exactly why.

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

Very Very well said!
After the tourney this year I’ll finish up my 13th season.
I’ve met so many amazing persons along the way and some who have become true friends. More than worth every bit of the abuse we take on a nightly basis.
And I agree 110% simply for the LOVE OF THIS GAME & to do what we can for the young men & women in our district.

Now; Looking forward to my 3 day officiating weekend; Friday, Saturday, Sunday....
Let that snow stay away! Lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ryanexpress wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:52 pm Very Very well said!
After the tourney this year I’ll finish up my 13th season.
I’ve met so many amazing persons along the way and some who have become true friends. More than worth every bit of the abuse we take on a nightly basis.
And I agree 110% simply for the LOVE OF THIS GAME & to do what we can for the young men & women in our district.

Now; Looking forward to my 3 day officiating weekend; Friday, Saturday, Sunday....
Let that snow stay away! Lol
💥

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Palming, or carrying, is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or illegally dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the dribbler’s hand stays on top of the ball, and the ball does not come to rest in the dribbler’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:48 pm Palming, or carrying, is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or illegally dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the dribbler’s hand stays on top of the ball, and the ball does not come to rest in the dribbler’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.
I never knew when taking ball out of bounds and given ball by ref that you could bounce it as long as not inbounds on the bounce.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

baseball16 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:48 pm Palming, or carrying, is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or illegally dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the dribbler’s hand stays on top of the ball, and the ball does not come to rest in the dribbler’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.
The last sentence is rather confusing!

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass, or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up, or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout. If the player is flat on his, or her, back, that player may sit up without violating.
-
A player must be holding the ball (with rare exception) in order to travel. A player can't travel while dribbling, while tapping the ball, or while fumbling it. During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped, or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes, and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble; however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Most officials I have seen this year have been pretty good.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

The mere fact that contact occurs does not constitute a foul. Incidental contact is contact with an opponent which is permitted and does not constitute a foul. Contact, which occurs unintentionally in an effort by an opponent to reach a loose ball, or contact which may result when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive, or offensive moves, should not be considered illegal, even though the contact may be severe. Contact which does not hinder an opponent from participating in normal defensive, or offensive, movements should be considered incidental.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Charge/block call is probably fans biggest complaint. All refs struggle with that call. Always thought high school needs a charge circle. That’s one of the most dangerous plays in sports

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:02 pm Charge/block call is probably fans biggest complaint. All refs struggle with that call. Always thought high school needs a charge circle. That’s one of the most dangerous plays in sports
Fans biggest complaint because they are always biased to one side. Maybe you'd like to try your hand at this and come out and teach some veteran officials how not to struggle with that call.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

That call puts officials in a bad spot

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Pol pot wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:07 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:02 pm Charge/block call is probably fans biggest complaint. All refs struggle with that call. Always thought high school needs a charge circle. That’s one of the most dangerous plays in sports
Fans biggest complaint because they are always biased to one side. Maybe you'd like to try your hand at this and come out and teach some veteran officials how not to struggle with that call.
You are correct. The infamous block charge call where half the gym will cheer and the other half will boo no matter how right the call is. Lol. However I don’t disagree that a lot of high school officials do struggle with the call mainly due to positioning I’d say. Your more seasoned crews usually handle this pretty well.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

The call I struggle with the most is the contact when the defender is in position to take a charge but doesn’t and instead jumps straight up with hands in air and when the contact is made a foul is almost eminent on the defender for leaving the ground. My understanding is the defense is allowed that position straight up from the floor to the ceiling. Shouldn’t make a difference if the defender jumps as long as he’s straight up but almost all officials call this a blocking foul. You’ve seen it called less and less at the upper levels and I’d imagine it will follow suit at the high school level sooner or later.

Another one is when the defender is standing in perfect position to take the charge and the offensive player does like a euro step and just clips the defender and that is almost always called a blocking foul even though the defender didn’t move. It seems like the contact has to be taken straight on the chest before a charge is called.

Seems like there are a few officials on here with a great understanding of the rules and would love to hear their thoughts. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong or don’t fully understand the rule.

Return to “Boys Basketball”