rules question- slapping the backboard

Dragon70
Freshman Team

rules question- slapping the backboard

Post by Dragon70 »

When I grew up playing in the nineties it was a technical foul, if I remember correctly, for slapping the backboard while trying to block a layup. It seems to me that nowadays a lot of these athletes can jump out of the gym so its several times a game that I see the defender smack the glass hard and the entire structure shakes and I haven't seen one technical or goaltending called even though a few times the shaking has effected the shot. Anybody know the rule or have an opinion. Thanks!

rc1129
Riding the Bench

Re: rules question- slapping the backboard

Post by rc1129 »

Referees judgement. If they believe it was intentional it is technically a technical foul, but no one is going to call it these days. There's a lot of things that don't get called anymore. Like carrying... Literally everyone carries now and its never called.

WonderNova
Freshman Team

Post by WonderNova »

Last Saturday, there was a Chesapeake player that had an overt and clamorous board-slapping during the Eastern Brown game. That was a question that was being discussed, and we didn't know the answer.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I heard they actually changed the rule a few years ago that if a player is actually trying to block a shot and hits the backboard it’s not a technical foul. If the backboard is slapped intentionally to shake the rim then I believe the call is basket interference and the basket counts.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally slaps the backboard, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul.

So if A1 goes in for a layup and B1 follows by jumping to block and misses the ball but strikes the backboard then it is a play on! However if B1 slaps the backboard on the other side or out of frustration it is an intentional act and will be assessed a Tech foul.

Not too many guys I see can "jump" out of the gym. A lot of them think they can but realistically cannot. LOL

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Darn Lebron

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:14 pm Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally slaps the backboard, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul.

So if A1 goes in for a layup and B1 follows by jumping to block and misses the ball but strikes the backboard then it is a play on! However if B1 slaps the backboard on the other side or out of frustration it is an intentional act and will be assessed a Tech foul.

Not too many guys I see can "jump" out of the gym. A lot of them think they can but realistically cannot. LOL
I used to get technicals all the time in high school for jumping to try and block the shot and my hand would hit the very top of the backboard and really shake the thing. Sometimes to avoid the technical I would hang on the top of the backboard with both hands.

Dragon70
Freshman Team

Post by Dragon70 »

Thanks for the links and reply's and after a lot of reading I think I understand it correctly even though I disagree with it. So your allowed to smack the hell out of the backboard as long as you are going for a block shot attempt and also if the ball hits the backboard and is still going up you can pin it as well. So no wonder I see it a lot more cause if I'm a coach I'm going to tell my jumpers to chase all layups down and portray to try and block shot but smack the hell out of it and make it shake. You can call a "T" if player does it out of anger or to draw attention to himself that's a joke if he gets his pocket picked at half court and chases down layup of course he's angry and slaps the glass and entire structure shakes but he was attempting a block shot so its all good lol.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:26 pm
baseball16 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:14 pm Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally slaps the backboard, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul.

I used to get technicals all the time in high school for jumping to try and block the shot and my hand would hit the very top of the backboard and really shake the thing. Sometimes to avoid the technical I would hang on the top of the backboard with both hands.
Lol....I bet your coach taught you that

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:49 pm
mlittle wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Lol....I bet your coach taught you that
My coach couldn’t have touched the backboard if you shot him out of a cannon.

Return to “Boys Basketball”