Athens 61 Alexander 57 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Athens 61 Alexander 57 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Athens 61
Alexander 57 a final

... no matter the outcome AHS was getting a W tonight ! ... both teams coming off of losses Tuesday night - Athens dropping a close game by 2 to Marietta HS ... Alexander losing a not so close one to Jackson - an 18 point loss 46-64 to the Ironmen ... BOTH teams needed to leave McAfee with a win tonight but in the world of hs hoops two teams enter but only one team leaves (with the W) ... this one wasn't close ! for the first 3 quarters of play ... the Bulldogs of Coach Cozart jumped all over the Spartans in the opening quarter leading 13-4 at the 2:14 mark ... led by the dynamic duo/Brayden squared combining for 11 1st quarter points (Whiting 7 - with a triple in tow/Markins 4 on a couple of deuces) ... the Spartans didn't help matters by turning the ball over 5 times ... the usually reliable 3 point tandem of JK Kearns/Kyler D'Augustino went 0 for 5 from downtown ... Kearns dropped in 6 points to keep the game within reach ... Athens 16 Alexander 10 after 1 ... the 2nd quarter was a wash as both teams traded buckets scoring 13 points apiece ... the Bulldogs were paced by Brayden Whitings 2 three pointers which was matched by Alex's JK Kearns pair of treys ... Athens 29 Alexander 23 at intermission ... Athens looked to put this one away in the 3rd outscoring Alex 16-11 ... turning the Spartans over 4 times ... getting scoring from B Squared - 4 points from B. Markins/6 more from B Whiting (giving him 21 thru 3 ) ... Alexander thru 3 went 2/15 from downtown ... Kyler D'Augustino was 0'fer downtown - as any scorer will do he found another way - taking the ball to the rack ... D'A is the real deal/only a freshmen ... he has the mentality of a scorer from the 3 point line - "I haven't hit a 3 yet but the next one IS going in" (D'A ended the game O for the game from behind the arc - had he HAD 1 or 2 during the game? a different story gets written - keep shooting D'Am YOU ARE THE REAL DEAL) ... while the Spartans continued to struggle from downtown the Bulldogs continued to put points up with a 3 ball each from Whiting and 5 points in the quarter from Isaiah Butcher (including a triple) ... Whitings' running mate hit a couple of 2 pointers (8 pts thru 3 ) ... Athens 45 Alexander 34 end of 3 ... what looked like a game with the outcome ready to be phoned in,the whole complexion of the game changed at 6:39 in the 4th when Alexanders' PG JK Kearns went down with an apparent knee injury ... Alex down 11 ... their leader on the floor out for the game ... sometimes being put behind the 8 ball brings the best out of a team - up to this point the Spartans appeared to rely on Kearns & D'Augustino to be THE scorers - others Trey Schaller/Luke Chapman/Kaleb Easley seemed content to let the duo be the show offensively ... when Kearns went down - TEAM needed to come together ... and they did ... Alex forced 7 Athens turnovers in the 4th ... the Spartans put up 23 points in the quarter ... Schaller dropped in 6 points/D'A added 6/ Easley 4/ Terry 4/ Luke Chapman knocked down a trey ... Athens was on life support with scoring from Markins (6 points),Whiting 4 points trying to keep the Spartans in the rear view mirror ... in the end a triple and a deuce by Nate Trainer were what propelled the Bulldogs to the eventual W ... Athens 61 Alexander 57 a final ..

... Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Alexander ...

Scoring ... Kyler D'Augustino 17, JK Kearns 12, Caleb Terry 9, Trey Schaller 8, Kaleb Easley 8, Luke Chapman 3
3 Pointers ... 3/22 ... JK Kearns 2, Luke Chapman 1
FTs ...... 6/11
TOs ..... 10
PnP ... 17 fgs/34 points in the paint
PnT .... 5 fgs/ 10 points in transition
Pbk ..... 3 fgs /6 points on putback buckets

... 3/22 from behind the arc ... in the previous 3 games that I have watched Alex, the numbers from behind the line were 8/9/8 made triples ... the Spartans hit their average of around 8-10 per game and Alexander leaves atop the TVC Ohio all alone - with the loss they are now in a tie with the Bulldogs with each a single loss in league action ... we're hoping that the injury to PG for the Spartans JK Kearns isn't as bad as it appeared as JK had his knee in a brace on the bench - we wish JK a quick recovery for AHS ... 2 straight losses for the Spartans AND the loss of their PG - a bad week for Alexander ...

... Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring ...Brayden Whiting 25 , Brayden Markins 14, Isaiah Butcher 6, Will Matters 5, Jack Cornwell 2, Andrew Stevens 2
3 Pointers ... 6/15 ... Brayden Whiting 4, Isaiah Butcher 1, Will Matters 1
FTs ......... 8/12
TOs ...... 16
PnP ..... 11 fgs/22 points in the paint
PnT ..... 3 fgs/6 points in transition
Pbk ...... 3 fgs / 6 points on putback buckets

... the Bulldogs never trailed in this one , jumping out early on the Spartans, the previous 3 games I have seen of Alexander the Spartans had jumped out on their victims with a barrage of 3 pointers ... tonight the Bulldog D kept the Alexander offensive deep threats anchored down - going only 3/22 for the game behind the arc ... you can breathe now Coach Cozart !!! with just enough defense to keep the Spartans out of reach down the stretch ... well done Bulldogs ... outstanding games from Brayden Whiting and Brayden Markins...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens 61 Alexander 57 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd's Players of the Game in the Athens vs Alexander ...

Athens Brayden Markins (14 points)/Brayden Whiting (25 points) vs Alexanders Kyler D'Augustino 17 points

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks 6-4-3=2o for introducing yourself tonight ! a pleasure to make your acquaintance ... got a chance to wish Coach Cozart well before the game and congratulate him after the game ... told Coach to relax before the game! told him he had the look that someone was going to repo his bass boat if the Bulldogs lost ! after the game I told him it looks like he got to keep the boat !!! good stretch going 2/3 with the W's over Warren and Alexander with that "what the heck happened?" loss to Marietta ... nice job Coach !

... had a long conversation with Coach Maddox tonight as well ! Coach Maddox came up to the Cheap Seats (which when I go to Athens are on press row LOL so he didn't have to climb very high LOL) ... we talked hoops/D2 seedings/who I thought the Warriors matched up best vs in D2 etc. spent pretty much the entire JV game chatting LOL ... Coach Mitchem for the Warren Warriors also stopped by to give pfloyd a shout out ... when I go to Athens I have to put up with 93bulldog as well - seriously though it's always good to run into 93dog my longest running jjhuddle/seops friend ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good rundown

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Great rundown Floyd ...

Kinda wish I hadn't poked the bear last night though.

Coach Maddox: "So where do you think we'll be on the bracket?"
Me: "Not sure coach, I haven't paid much attention to those outside of the top 7 teams."

LOL

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

No wonder Alex keep losing--3 of 22 behind the arc????????????????? You have a 6 10 kid with 9 points---Its a shame!!!!! Alex coaching should be let go!!!!!Makes no sense. He has something no one in the TVC and south eastern Ohio has and he won't use him--so sad!!!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:50 am Great rundown Floyd ...

Kinda wish I hadn't poked the bear last night though.

Coach Maddox: "So where do you think we'll be on the bracket?"
Me: "Not sure coach, I haven't paid much attention to those outside of the top 7 teams."

LOL
... 93dog, the "bear" remembers too - trust me LOL

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

vcgrad wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:43 am No wonder Alex keep losing--3 of 22 behind the arc????????????????? You have a 6 10 kid with 9 points---Its a shame!!!!! Alex coaching should be let go!!!!!Makes no sense. He has something no one in the TVC and south eastern Ohio has and he won't use him--so sad!!!!!
Sheesh man. We all get it lol

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Great rundown Pfloyd.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:20 am ... thanks 6-4-3=2o for introducing yourself tonight ! a pleasure to make your acquaintance ... got a chance to wish Coach Cozart well before the game and congratulate him after the game ... told Coach to relax before the game! told him he had the look that someone was going to repo his bass boat if the Bulldogs lost ! after the game I told him it looks like he got to keep the boat !!! good stretch going 2/3 with the W's over Warren and Alexander with that "what the heck happened?" loss to Marietta ... nice job Coach !

... had a long conversation with Coach Maddox tonight as well ! Coach Maddox came up to the Cheap Seats (which when I go to Athens are on press row LOL so he didn't have to climb very high LOL) ... we talked hoops/D2 seedings/who I thought the Warriors matched up best vs in D2 etc. spent pretty much the entire JV game chatting LOL ... Coach Mitchem for the Warren Warriors also stopped by to give pfloyd a shout out ... when I go to Athens I have to put up with 93bulldog as well - seriously though it's always good to run into 93dog my longest running jjhuddle/seops friend ...
Good to meet you too, pfloyd! Glad that game didn't disappoint. That's funny on the bass boat :D

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

6-4-3=2o wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:01 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:20 am ... thanks 6-4-3=2o for introducing yourself tonight ! a pleasure to make your acquaintance ... got a chance to wish Coach Cozart well before the game and congratulate him after the game ... told Coach to relax before the game! told him he had the look that someone was going to repo his bass boat if the Bulldogs lost ! after the game I told him it looks like he got to keep the boat !!! good stretch going 2/3 with the W's over Warren and Alexander with that "what the heck happened?" loss to Marietta ... nice job Coach !

Good to meet you too, pfloyd! Glad that game didn't disappoint. That's funny on the bass boat :D
6-4-3=2o ! any game I choose to go to IS a good game no matter the outcome LOL ... I enjoy seeing the competition ON the court and taking in the whole atmosphere off the court ... getting a chance to run into fellow fans of the game such as yourself, talk to the coaches ... last night I got to chat briefly with one of the best coaches ALL TIME in ANY sport - Fred "Gibby" Gibson ... such a good guy - always gives pfloyd the time of day whether we're at an Athens game, or at the Convo for district/regional action ... besides,if I'm going to a game, and the menu of games for me encompasses a choice of 72 teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line the game I choose is always a good one, I only go to good games played by good teams Below the Line ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Any information today on JK Kearns injury from last night's game ?

Return to “Boys Basketball”